The Garfield Movie (2024)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Garfield Movie (2024)

As of this writing, this isn't out yet, but based on the trailers, it looks like it's going to be a "meh" movie.

First of all, Garfield just doesn't "look" right to me. They've taken the lighter-yellow part of his face and turned it into a weird mustache looking thing. It's distracting. He looks even less like a cat than he ever has before. Maybe it was intentional, I don't know, but if you look up images of him from his previous movies, they all look better than this one.

Then there's the dialogue. If they put the "best parts" into the trailer as usual, then the rest of it is going to be absolute crap. I was glad to hear Chris Pratt was going to be in it, because he's theoretically perfect for the part; but he needs good writing behind him. He doesn't appear to have it here.

Then there's the story. Garfield is supposed to be about a lazy cat who hates Mondays and loves lasagna. In this thing he's going on a big heist with his long lost, street smart dad. It looks like they're going for Illumination-style mania, and based on past experience, you really need Chris Meladandri to pull that off effectively.

All of this, plus the oft-proven fact that any movie that has the word "Movie" in its title is bound to be terrible, adds up to one big turd. For the sake of the bills I have to pay, I hope I'm dead wrong on this.
    Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 05-17-2024, 12:14 PM.

I noticed that lighter yellow on his face when looking at an ad for the movie today. Totally agree!

Comment

It has been released around here...

Well, what can I say?

It's... uhm, better than that Live Action/Animation hybrid thing called "Garfield: The Movie", they released 20 years ago... Which isn't much of a standard to beat.
      It's mildly popular with the younger crowd over here but later showtimes are drawing a lot of cold air... I'm afraid It's not the movie you've been looking for...

Regarding that moustache: The philtrum of a cat, especially a somewhat well-rounded cat can look a bit like a moustache. I guess Jim Davis emphasized it as a caricature when he came up with Garfield. I'm not sure if it's actually supposed to look as much as a moustache in the movie, but the only one who probably can answer that question is Jim himself. Still, I'm asking myself if they asked him to approve the screenplay...

Comment

After running this movie for 3 days, I can confirm that all my assumptions in my pre-release review above were pretty spot on. But, the kids seem to be enjoying it. We're not seeing too much restroom traffic, which is a good gauge of how bored they are. So, I guess it's OK for its target audience.

Comment

We finally watched this movie yesterday. Yeesh, it was worse than I thought. It IS still doing decent business, but I'll be glad to put this cat out in a couple of days.

Comment

The Top Gun scene is cute...

Comment

Working...
            X