Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

AKA "The Movie that Saved Marvel," based on its boxoffice projections, this one is just about what you would expect based on the previous two. Lots of inside jokes (many of which will go way over the audience's heads unless they are true Marvel fanatics), a few fun digs at Disney, a brief resurrection (at the end) of the old 20th Century Fox logo. Tons of F-bombs, gallons of fake blood, and a shit-ton of callbacks to previous Marvel movies.

As with all Marvel movies, I have no idea what went on in the story. I guess the whole "multiverse" thing is the best and worst thing Marvel could have done. "Best," because it allows them to kill characters and bring them back to life at will, whether it makes sense or not; and "worst," due to the same reason.

It's a typical Marvel incomprehensible plot (go ahead describe it, I dare you) in which Wolverine, having been killed in some previous story, has been dug up and somehow brought back to life so he can help Deadpool save the universe, I guess. It's always the universe.

I laughed at a few of the jokes. There are a lot of good songs in it. There is an AWFUL lot of talking, for an action movie. At the end of the day, it was a two hour endurance test for me.

I am not sure what the point of the extra scenes during the credits was. Maybe somebody who is more of a Marvel fan will chime in here and explain that.

2 out of 4 stars for me.

Disclaimer: I might have enjoyed it a little more if not having had to endure it in a theater (ours) in which the air conditioning has broken down. We have to replace our rooftop unit and the new one isn't here yet. So it's going to be a long weekend. I have put signs in the windows warning people. We just can't catch a break for a summer, it seems....if it's not a pandemic, or a strike, or three-week-minimums killing our business, it's broken equipment. It's beginning to wear on me.

By the way - if you want to use the very funny D & W "silence your cellphones" clip ahead of this movie, just set up that CPL to start playing at :06 and then close your douser for the last 4 seconds (where it shows the movie's opening date).

Comment

This movie does all the things a good movie isn't supposed to do... too much exposition, convoluted storyline, breaking the 4th wall, but it's all in the name of comedy, so it's good I guess.

I mostly enjoyed this movie and it was one of the first in many Marvel movies I actually went out to see. I wasn't particularly looking out for it, but it ended up being way less dreadful than I expected it to be, which is the best you can hope for in a modern Marvel movie I guess.

Comment

Working...
      X