X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2909196.gif
    abcdefghijk

Comment

• Okay... Raise your hand if you zoomed in on that picture to see the projector. Oh, come on! Don't tell me you didn't!

Comment

• Digital /film projection booth for four screen drive-in in Sketchup. I made this myself pbooth.jpg

Comment

• youngboozer.png​

Young Boozer?! I hope the minimum drinking age in Alabama lives up to his name...

Comment

• At some time, those family names had to be given out... The idea of family names isn't really all that universal and many of those family names trace their origin back from what those people were actually doing back then...

Comment

• Having a "meh" day?
              ''the 'just OK' corral'' ...enh.jpg​

Comment

• MoneyPig.jpg
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Seen in the staff break room of a theater that closed during the pandemic and hasn't reopened since, four years later:

image.png​

The HVAC was off and the temperature in that room must have been in the 90s when I took that photo. I do not want to be the one who has to open up that machine and clean it out!

Comment

• Projectionist and occasional poster David Kornfeld introduces 2001: A Space Odyssey from the stage of the Somerville Theatre outside of Boston. The Somerville has a 70mm house print of the film that they bought when WB sold off the prints from the 1999 restoration that were shown in 2001. The mag sound was superb, to my ears better than DTS. Visually, the print is much better than the Christopher Nolan non-restoration prints from 2018.

IMG_3654.jpg IMG_3657.jpg
                    Last edited by Mark Ogden; 06-21-2024, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Mag is always best... DTS on 70mm only came to exist as a cost cutting measure because the studios and distribution are a bunch of cheap skates. After mag is applied to the film, it has to be aged before the sound can be recorded on it, hence 70 mag is a slow process. I'm surprised Nolan hasn't revived mag sound yet. Even Imax used to be 6 track mag via 35mm full coat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                        Mag is always best. DTS on 70mm only came to exist as a cost cutting measure because the studios and distribution are a bunch of cheap skates
                        I've got a vague memory that mag striping was made illegal due to the toxic nature of the chemicals involved, but having had a quick search, the only reference I can find is from this very site back in 2010...

It seems apparent that as the volatile chemicals used in stripe application also hasten the fading of Eastman prints and possibly other manufacturers too. This volatility has also been outlawed as it is considered a pollutant and therefore there will no longer be any magnetic prints made-hence the uptake of DTS optically timecoded 70mm prints.
                        I visited the mag striping lab at Technicolor London back in the 90s and judging by the thick brown sludge coating the walls, it looked like quite a hellish environment in which to be working.

Comment

• The chemical aspect of it was partly true here as well. Am pretty sure it was the adhesives used that caused that. But I also like to think that problem could have been.overcome if they really wanted to.

Comment

• hm240628.gif
                            abcdefghijkl

Comment

• RadioHam.jpg
                              Ham Radio?

Comment

• Right now, we're listening to "pig radio" https://www.kpig.com/ .

https://w6iwi.org

Comment

Working...
                                X