Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
    youngboozer.png

Young Boozer?! I hope the minimum drinking age in Alabama lives up to his name...
    That's Young Boozer III. Given that he is 75, I think we are up to Young Boozer VI at this point. Very prominent name in Alabama.

Comment

• By my calculation, Young Boozer II would have had to violate the Volstead Act to have lived up to his name!

Changing the subject somewhat:

image.png

So Barco Alchemy certificate batteries are a "health and beauty" product, according to Amazon! Knowing that an ICMP won't bork, resulting in a panicked call or email, is not bad for my health, I guess, but I'm still not sure that I get the beauty part...

Comment

• You used to be able to get batteries from Radio Shack. They had a transistor radio 9V battery that had "higher lumen output." Perfect for projectors!

Comment

• My wife makes fancy quilts and she donated one to the Agricultural Society Fair to raffle off as a fundraiser.

First prize is her quilt.

Second prize is a pig!

I told her she now has proof that her quilts can beat out the pigs!

raffle_orig.jpg

Comment

• I'm impressed with the fact that your wife's quilt has been valued at $1,000!

My girlfriend knits and crochets and she often makes blankets and things. She'd be hard pressed to pull down a hundred, let alone a grand!
            She's very good at it and has even won prizes at the local fair.

Sewing and knitting are different things, of course, but I know how much work it takes to make something like a king size blanket. It takes weeks and, sometimes, months, for Hannah to make a full sized blanket but, still, it would be nigh on impossible for her to get that much for one of her creations even though she does top notch work.

Tell your wife, good job! Thumbs up! She must be proud!

Deservedly so!

Comment

• Very impressive! I was going to say that both the first and second prize could keep you warm, but I see that the second prize is "cut and wrapped."

Comment

• 450905735_880815164073737_4190213294174939287_n.jpg
                Here is a picture of the whole quilt.

Comment

• That's pretty freakin' amazing!

The scroll quilting must have taken forever, even if done on a machine!

Comment

• image.png

I felt somewhat smug this morning at Starbucks: they could only accept cash, and I was one of very few people in line who actually had some.

Comment

[ATTACH=JSON]
                      I felt somewhat smug this morning at Starbucks: they could only accept cash, and I was one of very few people in line who actually had some.
                      It's good to have backup systems!

On system updates, there is a script that pushes updates to USL/QSC/MIT IRC systems. The script checks that the system comes back up again and reports the new version number before going on to the next unit. The script exits on the first failure so we don't end up with hundreds of dead systems.

Comment

• Weren't there a couple of guys, here, at Film-Tech who always used to say that you should never accept automatic software updates but nobody seemed to want to listen?

Comment

By my calculation, Young Boozer II would have had to violate the Volstead Act to have lived up to his name!

Changing the subject somewhat:

image.png

So Barco Alchemy certificate batteries are a "health and beauty" product, according to Amazon! Knowing that an ICMP won't bork, resulting in a panicked call or email, is not bad for my health, I guess, but I'm still not sure that I get the beauty part...
                          I'm sure those batteries are also used in ahem, "personal pleasure items" thus the category.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                            It's good to have backup systems!

On system updates, there is a script that pushes updates to USL/QSC/MIT IRC systems. The script checks that the system comes back up again and reports the new version number before going on to the next unit. The script exits on the first failure so we don't end up with hundreds of dead systems.
                            Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post
                            Weren't there a couple of guys, here, at Film-Tech who always used to say that you should never accept automatic software updates but nobody seemed to want to listen?

I used to work for a Fortune 500 corporation as a Sr. Systems Analyst. We never allowed any software provider, including Microsoft, to automatically update our systems. We also never allowed any computer that was not owned by our company to even attach to our network. I suspect there will be many people fired for allowing CrowdStrike to update the affected systems. I wouldn't want to be an employee at CrowdStrike. It reminds me of the old quote, "'A sure way to empty a hotel fast: is to drop an elevator."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

I used to work for a Fortune 500 corporation as a Sr. Systems Analyst. We never allowed any software provider, including Microsoft, to automatically update our systems. We also never allowed any computer that was not owned by our company to even attach to our network. I suspect there will be many people fired for allowing CrowdStrike to update the affected systems. I wouldn't want to be an employee at CrowdStrike. It reminds me of the old quote, "'A sure way to empty a hotel fast: is to drop an elevator."
                              The funny part is that the fix is uber easy to do. The start point is the "Blue Screen Of Death Page". There are already "How To" videos on Instagram and Tic Toc.. Takes about 15 seconds to do, then just reboot the computer and you're back home... The bigger problem is that it's millions of computers that are all over the world...

Comment

• Here is how you fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X