Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Have A Dedication In One Of Their Richardson's Blue Book Of Projection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have A Dedication In One Of Their Richardson's Blue Book Of Projection?

I bet I had this book for 30 years, and never caught that it was in there... Am pretty sure it came from Powells Book Store in Portland, OR.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

WoW, Mark, haven't seen one of those. Is it 'printed' or is it an actual hand-written dedication from Mr Richardson?
    I have about half-a-dozen of the Richardson books from various years from the early 20's to the late 40's. The copies I like best are the ones that have a lot of hand written notes & annotations, & carbon-dust fingerprints left behind on a page or two from their original owners. Sometimes they've got their name or the names of the theater(s) they were working at written inside the one of the cover-leafs. I seem to appreciate those issues to the ones that are clean clean & looks like they were never used. An occasional oil-stain earns another point of appreciation.

Comment

It is for sure hand written...

Comment

thats great mark! it's interesting that it's directed to no one in particular, i will have to dig out my copy and look, it may have been at a publishers party celebrating the 5th edition! or maybe at an iatse annual meeting???

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
          thats great mark! it's interesting that it's directed to no one in particular, i will have to dig out my copy and look, it may have been at a publishers party celebrating the 5th edition! or maybe at an iatse annual meeting???
          I never thought about the Party aspect. You may be right about that. This is Vol1 second printing.

Comment

richardson was an active iatse member and he knew lots of pioneers, i would be inclined to think it was dedicated to the union, my copy has no personalization...be nice for the museum! good reading material while you are covelescing! take care, john

Comment

It says right at the top Dedicated to projectionists in the USA and Canada. Of course he wanted to sell books... That's why no mention of the I.A.. 1927 was before Frank Nitty started blowing up theaters and maiming theater managers and non-Union projectionists. There is an Untouchables episode about him. He apparently started, or at least enforced Local 110 in Chicago.

https://youtu.be/62F5k4QweAw

Comment

actually, i had found vol2, i found my vol 1 and it has the exact same inscription ver-batum, dated same etc. i had a friend look at it she said its actually printed not handwritten! its an apology for an incorrect dedication of 5th edition! not rare at all apperently...oh well!

Comment

Kind of odd they would be dated the same since they are a year apart. I just packed mine up yesterday, so no access to it right now. Getting ready to move to Bowling Green the beginning of Jan. I've had about enough of Nashvegas for now. 150 people a day are moving here and traffic just sucks on weekends. I'll only be an hour away anyway.

Comment

Mark wrote " 1927 was before Frank Nitty started blowing up theaters and maiming theater managers and non-Union projectionists."

I've been reading an interesting book titled "Shadow of The Racketeer; Scandal In Organized Labor" (2009/David Witwer) and
                    a large portion of the book covers the mob infiltration of the IA by Frank Nitty in Chicago & Sam Kaplan in New York. I used
                    to hear all kinds of stories about "the good old days" from some of the older union guys when I first joined one of the New
                    York IA projection unions in the early 1970's.
                    (Now they're all dead- - and < I'M > one of the 'older union guys" lol The only difference is I never broke anybody's legs. )

Comment

Jim, I used to get stories from a couple of the Local 110 guys. One in particular was the guy that made Essanay change overs. The most recent incident was carried out by Local 110 in 10 different States, from N.Y all the way down to TX. At least one person I knew served prison time. Here is a link to that story.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...543-story.html

Comment

Working...
                      X