Multiple quotes in one reply..HOW?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple quotes in one reply..HOW?!

Guys and gals, I have had this issue with the new forum's since the beginning:

How are you guys able to get multiple quotes showing correctly in your posts? I have to manually put in names AND copy and paste text for additional quotes in my replies. If it makes a difference, I am on Firefox and Winblows 11.

I have selected the "Quote" function on the bottom of a post, they all "light up" as if they are all selected, but the reply box will only populate the FIRST one I select.

What gives? Is it my setup (see above) or am I just fucking stupid?

Unfortunately, that's a bit of a mess, don't think it has anything particular to do with your browser or OS, but more with the VBB forum software itself. VBulletin 6.0.0 has recently been released, maybe version 6 will bring some relief on this front.

But, it all depends on how sophisticated you want to be. You can always simply copy/paste someones remarks and put them manually into "quote" containers, you know, the {quote}{/quote} thingies, but with square brackets. I can't type them, because I don't know how to escape them properly or otherwise it would be interpreted as an emptie quote.

If you're a bit more sophisticated, you can also add someones name to a quote:
    {quote=John Doe}Something incriminating he said.{/quote}
    Again, replace the curly brackets with square brackets.
    This will put the name of the original poster on the quote, but not the direct link to the reference, which uses an additional tidbit of information, which you can't easily come up with yourself.

Then, there is another way I sometimes hack posts together, I call that the "lazy-sophisticated" way:

I'm using notepad or some other text editor as my temporary scratch pad. If I want to quote somebody, I simply hit the quote button and copy the resulting stuff out of the edit window into my scratch-notepad thingy. There is just one little annoyance: You need to refresh the page to get the quote buttons working again. Once I'm done, I copy the finished "masterpiece" back into the Edit window. That way you can have multiple quotes with the links to the quotes intact.

Maybe there are other ways to achieve the same, would be interesting to hear from other forum users how they handle multiple quotes per post.

Comment

Whenever I quote something I just copy, paste, and manually put the tags around the quoted text. It's probably not the fastest way but it's just habit now.

Comment

Thanks guys, so it is a forum VBB issue, and not my stupidity.

I like Marcel's "lazy-sophisticated" method, seems like that is the way some others on here do it as well.

Anyone else, please chime in, and thanks for the help so far Marcel and Mike.

Comment

Tony...in your case it's more like 50/50...50%VBB and 50%Tony my avg is more like 40/60! nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Comment

Working...
          X