X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cinema chain fined for banning customers who bring their own snacks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eir-own-snacks

Spanish cinema chain fined for banning customers who bring their own snacks

Consumer rights group took action against Yelmo, which runs a nationwide cinema chain
    @swajones
    Tue 5 Dec 2023 16.38 GMTLast modified on Tue 5 Dec 2023 16.54 GMT

Parents frazzled by entreaties for barrels of popcorn, otherwise law-abiding citizens sweating over the contraband sweets in their pockets, and anyone else sick of spending more on drinks and snacks than on cinema tickets can rest easy. If, that is, they live in certain parts of Spain.
    The Basque Country’s consumer affairs department, Kontsumobide, has fined Yelmo, the huge Spanish cinema chain, €30,001 for refusing entry to customers who buy their food and drink outside its premises.
    Kontsumobide decided to fine Yelmo after the Basque branch of the Facua consumer protection group reported the cinema chain to the regional government, arguing that its policy banning food and drink not bought at one of its outlets was contractually unfair.
    Yelmo has a strict ban on external products, warning online and in theatres that “the company does not allow access to these premises with food and/or drink purchased outside Yelmo, thereby allowing us to reserve the right to refuse admission”.
    However, the consumer group argued that given that a cinema’s main activity is showing films and not providing food services, “it’s not valid for them to use this excuse to refuse entry to people who have bought food and drink outside – especially when food can be bought inside their own premises”.
    In other words, it added, Yelmo could not behave like a restaurant as “cinematic activity exists independently of whether or not a company offers a food and drink service”.
    The Madrid branch of Facua has also brought legal action against Yelmo there on the same grounds, arguing that the ban on external food and drink is unfair and limits consumers’ rights.
    The consumer group points out that the high court in the central region of Castilla-La Mancha has ruled that such bans limit customer choice, and that a 2007 consumer protection law defines unfair clauses as any practices that lead to “an important imbalance when it comes to the rights and duties of the parties in a contract”.
    Facua’s general secretary, Rubén Sánchez, said the group had taken successful legal action against other cinema chains elsewhere in Spain for the same reason. “It’s a kind of monopoly that forces you to consume in the same space and to spend up to 20 times more on a product,” he told El País.
    A spokesperson for Kontsumobide said Yelmo could appeal against the ruling.
    The cinema chain, which also noted that the fine decision was not final, said: “We’d like to point out that Yelmo Cinemas always act in accordance with existing legislation and that we tailor ourselves to the legal specifications of each region in order to ensure the viability of a unique and different leisure offer.”​

No surprise to me. Different countries - Different laws... In fact if the USA gets much worse than it is now, Spain would be one of my two choices to move to. Spain is awesome and so are the people.

Comment

In Pennsylvania, there is a distinction between bars and restaurants based on the percentage of alcohol and food they sell.

If an establishment does more than fifty percent of its business in food sales, they are a "restaurant." If not, they are a "bar."

There are different rules that a business has to obey, based on whether they are a bar or a restaurant.
      Bars have to close their doors after 2:00 a.m. and all customers have to leave. Restaurants can stay open after 2:00 a.m. if all alcohol is off the tables until 10:00 a.m.

Why should we not think of movie theaters in a similar way? I'd be willing to bet that most theaters make most of their money on popcorn and soda. As such, I'd consider a theater to be closer to a restaurant than anything else.

Applying that idea to the case, above, I call bullshit.

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
      Yelmo could not behave like a restaurant as “cinematic activity exists independently of whether or not a company offers a food and drink service”.
      No, a movie theater's business DEPENDS UPON selling popcorn! No popcorn? No movies!... No movies? No theater!

Most people I know understand that and I would expect the general population knows or should know that, too.

If a case like this were brought in Pennsylvania, I bet it would be thrown out on its ear!

Last edited by Randy Stankey; 12-05-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that most theaters make most of their money on popcorn and soda. As such, I'd consider a theater to be closer to a restaurant than anything else.
        Please don't mention this notion to the government. The rules for theater-type foodservice are not near as stringent as they are for restaurants. Mainly because we're not using raw materials that require refrigeration.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guardian Article
          However, the consumer group argued that given that a cinema’s main activity is showing films and not providing food services, “it’s not valid for them to use this excuse to refuse entry to people who have bought food and drink outside – especially when food can be bought inside their own premises”.
          If other jurisdictions around the world adopt this same notion, the exhibition industry may be in for even more of a change... I guess nobody told the Basque government that theaters are almost more in the concession selling industry rather than in the business of showing movies, or more likely, they just don't care...

Comment

Working...
          X