Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The award for best image of the Solar Eclipse goes to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The award for best image of the Solar Eclipse goes to....

NASA... No idea how this was done though...
    Attached Files

That’s a nice image but it looks like one of those over-exposed pics of the Milky Way galaxy. After looking at probably thousands of eclipse photos, I’ve come to the conclusion that a total eclipse cannot be photographed accurately. The colors just aren’t right.

Comment

Even the brightest display will not be able to produce the amount of light the sun produces, not even during a total eclipse. Additionally, no human can or should look right into a solar eclipse or something that outputs a similar amount of light. Light is pure energy and your eyes have limits...

Comment

Am pretty sure that image is made with light that's out of the wavelength range that we can see. Likely by using filters on the telescope, or camera...

Comment

This photo is an HDR stack; many separate images taken at different exposure levels over multiple seconds. This picture was 35 individual images. It's also not a shot from this eclipse, nor is it from NASA. It's from 2017 and an independent photographer.

Photographing an eclipse accurately is no easy task, though capturing all the dynamic range is theoretically possible. Displaying it however, is damn near impossible.

Comment

These are some of my personal shots taken on the 8th, all single exposures. Definitely limited in terms of overall dynamic range.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Very nice Thomas! And thanks for the explanation of the image I posted...

Comment

I don't like it... at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Piccione View Post
                  These are some of my personal shots taken on the 8th, all single exposures. Definitely limited in terms of overall dynamic range.
                  Nice job catching some solar prominences!

Marcel, If you ever have a chance to look directly at a total eclipse... you totally should (at totality of course). I was in the totality path, we had clouds here but it peeked through enough to be visible. My first total, still inspiring.

That whole don't look at it without protection thing is for every moment other than totality.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Redifer View Post
                    I don't like it... at all.
                    Where the heck have you been the past few years Joe???

Comment

I was trapped in a cave in Thailand and couldn't get out. Took a while for Elon Musk to save me.

Comment

Well, I hope you haven't been trapped since 2009 like the guy that was trapped hanging upside down in a cave in Utah. They could not pull him out, and he died in that position. That cave is now a permanently sealed up cave.

Comment

Working...
                        X