Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to make a direct view LED mesh screen that is acoustically transparent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to make a direct view LED mesh screen that is acoustically transparent?

A few weeks ago I was in Las Vegas eating at the Olive Garden on the strip (I guess you can tell I'm not a foodie). Anyway, we were seated near the window and were looking through the mesh LED display that they have and it got me thinking. Would it be possible to make a mesh display that was dense enough for 4k display but have enough space between the grid supports to be acoustically transparent. I'm guessing that you'd need some kind of acoustic treatment on the back of the metal rails for it to have a chance of working and not reflecting too much back towards the speakers.

It is all about viewing distance.

With current pixel technology not really possible (that I have seen) for standard size cinema rooms... but might be possible for unusual installations and drive-in sized screens (but then drive in's don't need speakers behind the screen typically. Oh the irony. Outdoor and Arena size concerts have been doing it for years (though not at 4k density or cinema aspects).

I would guess that we'd arrive to a place where they can use the LED panels themselves as a direct transducer for acoustically coupled drivers before they get pixels small enough to allow mesh approaches.

The industry seems to be moving forward with ATMOS style room tuning to computationally place "phantom" speakers ahead of the viewer for direct view installs. I have no idea how well this "fake it" approach works for every seat in the house. If you want to go crazy read up on the Sphere's audio design and installation.

Comment

Working...
    X