No announcement yet.

Sam Chavez has passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am saddened beyond words to learn of Sam's passing. I met him in 1986 when attending a Dolby training seminar and remained friends with him since.
    He was always kind, funny and happy to help with whatever project I was working on. In the past few years we would call each other once or twice a year to see how each other was doing and share a few jokes. Having both started our careers as projectionists then working our way up in the industry, we shared a common bond.
    Rest In Peace my friend.

Comment

So sad to hear this news. Even sadder to hear that he suffered with dialysis in his last years. We all will eventually pass, but it is hard to hear and so unfair that one should have to suffer. Especially someone like Sam who had a generosity of spirit that made him shine. I envy those of you who knew him personally; I never had the privilege, but in every conversation I had with him on the phone over the years, he never hesitated to offer his knowledge and his help. He was always remarkably patient and kind with my ignorance; he never was short on time, always spent whatever it took until i understood what he was explaining. Yes, he certainly did have and encyclopedic knowledge of all things cinema, but beyond that, he was a damn good teacher. Lots of people are very knowledgeable, and there are good teachers around, but few like Sam are both!

I love the idea that Terry put forth, that Sam will be running 70mm in that big movie palace in the sky -- and with Sam in the booth, every show will be a perfect presentation. It's a really sweet thought.

Requiescat in Pace, Sam.

Comment

This is indeed very sad news. I met Sam and he is a wonderful person, very kind and full of knowledge that is now lost forever. I can count on one hand the remaining true veterans of the film days, and soon they too will be gone. I was very fortunate to have met most of them in person and hope that what I learned from them can someday be preserved.

Comment

I only knew Sam through the forums here but he seemed like a genuinely good guy. He added great value to any discussion he was involved in and was always looking to help people as much as he could. He will be missed.

To Frank's point, it's terrible that he had to suffer. No good person should have to suffer for the end of their life.

Comment

Sam was helpful to the very end. Last year He provided me with a card (scarce as hens teeth) so I could marry up a NEW 35mm install in a Dolby Atmos house. Allowed the CP 650 to spit out Digital to the CP 850 since it will not accept analog sound. Also provided a brand new unused CP 650 for another client. I have known him for years and he was always helpful. I missed him very much at Cinemacon this year. Truly a Stable Datum for the industry. He IS missed.

Comment

I have known Sam since 1965 when I was his relief man at the Cinema Guild theater in Berkeley, CA. I should not be shocked but I am and it is just starting to sink in that I will never talk to him again.
              I got out of the theater business in 1980 and went in a different direction but Sam and I stayed in touch and remained friends for sixty years. We could finish each others sentences and a phrase from a fifty year old movie was all it took to fully understand what the other was thinking. I talked to him on the phone Friday before Father's day and near the end of the conversation he said "I am shot to pieces Rooster"
              You older projectionists will know where that comes from and what it means. This is my first post and I recognize a lot of your names from conversations with Sam over the years.

Comment

The link is in the next post. The add link feature stripped his name off for some reason..
                Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-23-2024, 07:30 AM.

Comment

https://obituaries.neptune-society.c...havez-11867032

Comment

Sad news. I never had any interactions with Sam but always enjoyed his posts. They were always very informative and in a friendly manner. He will be greatly missed my many.

Comment

Time expired to edit my last post, but I found my last conversation with Sam in my texts...it was Sept. 9 2022. He was in Telluride and we joked about a thread on here. He will be missed by all of us.

Comment

While I never knew or met Sam personally, his posts here were always filled with knowledge and insight. To see how he impacted everyone's life here is quite touching. May his memory be eternal.

Comment

Working...
                        X