No announcement yet.

Not Playing Outdoor Movie Theatre Marquees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the chill of winter descended on Caldwell TX, owner Mr. Mattson, would close the Drive-In and its marquee simply read, WE MOVED DOWN TOWN. Everyone in the small town knew from then on until Spring, films would be run in the old single screen Mattsonian Theatre the middle of town. It was known to the locals as the Ratsonian because of, well, you guessed it, it's interior rat population. Walking across the planks in the hang ceiling to get to the projection booth, you could feel your feet crushing pigeon and rat caucasus; a real delight. The Mattsonian Theatre had a standard 4 line marquee that extended over the sidewalk on either side, nothing on the front but the theatre name. As the Mattsonian's only teen projectionist, I had the honor of both running the show and changing the marquee. Old Mr. Mattson was still quite spry for a 90yr old, but a bit of a serious eccentric -- and that's putting it kindly. Really he was quite crazy. For example, at the Drive-in, he would come into the projection booth and while the movie was in progress, would grab the microphone that had a push button on the side that would mute the film soundtrack, and without batting an eyelash, in his wheezy, halting old voice, he would begin to hawk his concession food, which was a spiel that could go on haltingly for as long as 5 minutes, as the film was running!! all the while a cacophony was going on in the field -- headlights flashing, horns honking, and me terrified at the pandamonium. This happened EVERY NIGHT. No matter how much I gently tried to convince him to do it BEFORE the film or during the credits, he wouldn't hear of it, insisting he had to do it DURING the film so it would "catch their attention better," as he put it.

When we moved downtown to the hardtop, in that booth, there was an RCA 45rpm record player. It had a single 45 on it -- "The Yellow Rose of Texas," and it was played so much that the groves were worn so badly they looked white and it would barely track, the needle as worn as the record, skipping multiple times throughout the 3 minute play. When I told Mr. Mattson, that it sounded horrific with scratches louder than the music and could I please play something else or at least just let me turn it over and play the other side (there were no other records in the booth), he just wheezed, "Nope; they only want to hear The Yellow Rose of Texas, in my theatre." And the autoreplay just replayed it over and over, at least 5 or 6 times before the show hit the screen. But I digress...

...back to the marquee and skinny me up on a 12 ft ladder with the old man down below giving instructions as to the placing and spacing of the metal letters on each line. Now these were not the nice plastic Wagner letter that you could slide back and forth across the rods easily; no, there were black, heavy metal letters, the kind that hooked onto the runners. Half of the ones in the big wooden box wouldn't hook on to the wires correctly and you had to try to force them in place. The real kicker was that as I finished each line, the old man would look up and think and think, as if he were solving some unfathomable mystery of the universe, trying to determine how good or bad it look, I was up there shivered in the 40 degree winter wind. Then he'd say, "Nope, you didn't center it -- move the whole thing to the Right. Then down to the next line and same thing -- "Now you made it lopsided again...move the top line back to the Left. Yankee-boy (his nickname for me); can't you see they are not centered?" Of COURSE I couldn't see if they were centered or not, my face is practically plastered against the marquee. He'd make me move all the letters in one line and then decide it didn't look right and he's make me move it BACK AGAIN! That would go on sometimes for at an hour, and finally when he was satisfied, it was move the ladder to do the other side.

The most dreaded admonition was, "Damn, that whole thing looks all wrong; we have to do a reset." Unfortunately this was not a union house and I was not a union projectionist, and I knew it would be a waste of time to quote union rules at him, like the one about that they can't make a projectionist carry film cans and the certainly the one says a projectionist can't change the marquee letters up on a freakin ladder! So one night in the middle of February (I think) when I was again up on that rickety wooden ladder changing those hated metal letters while the joints of my fingers slowly froze solid, old Mr. Mattson yelled up to me, "We gotta reset again, boy." I looked at him below for a few seconds and the decision was instantly made. As I started down that damn ladder, I said in my Brooklyn accent "That aint gonna happen, old man; I'm a projectionist; I quit. " As I walked to my pickup, I looked back up at the marquee; I swear, each line was PERFECTLY centered, proof of my original statement, that he was one crazy old man. And that was the last time I ever had to shift entire lines of marquee letters of any kind.

Comment

Our local 10 screen theatre (UEC) hasn't listed a movie title on their marquee in probably 5 or 6 years. It just says "See Website".

Ten miles down the road, I'm out there with a suction cup on a 20 foot long pole banging letters off the sign twice a week.

Comment

A bit of pre-planning goes a long way. Our gang has a marquee template and font they can use to print a spacing chart. Get it right on paper then go outside and do it. 2 Marquees and 4 marquee faces between the two theatres.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Floyd View Post
          Our local 10 screen theatre (UEC) hasn't listed a movie title on their marquee in probably 5 or 6 years. It just says "See Website".

Ten miles down the road, I'm out there with a suction cup on a 20 foot long pole banging letters off the sign twice a week.
          Well, UEC is different... They bought two theaters I had serviced for a customer out west. Except they do both on the marquee at the downtown theater mainly because they can walk out on the roof through a booth door and easily change the letters. That one has both Movie Titles and Web Site info. The other plex, on the north side of town only has poster cases. So there is a fairly constant stream of people driving through that lot to see what's playing. The original owner also had a web site, but the address was only posted in newspaper ads and on a screen header...

Comment

Thanks Frank your story about the cinema in Caldwell TX, very enjoyable read.

There are two theatres in Santa Cruz CA that still change their neon marquees. One the Landmark run Theatre DelMar and the old UA Rio Theatre that mainly does music shows now. The Rio is always running out of the same color plastic letters so they are all uneven colors and sizes. Looks junky but at least It gives the sign some variety in color.

The sad Landmark DelMar in downtown Santa Cruz tries their best with changing the black plastic letters each week. As you can see in this current photo they don't have enough X's to spell MaXXXine out properly. The city of Santa Cruz CA owns the DelMar Theatre and does a lease with Landmark who won't fix anything. The neon marquee does not function much plus today I went to see MaXXXine again and the split surround speakers did not come on.. Forget the nice waterfall curtain they don't bother to use them anymore It still works.

Down the street from the Delmar we have the Syufy West Wind Santa Cruz 9 Cinema a former UA Cinema. Their neon marquee blew off with It s Red plastic letters in a big storm many years ago and now they just have a sign over the broken lighted glass tracks. Good news they are waiting to put in a new digital marquee soon once all the city permits are taken care of. They also will be replacing the seats and even add more seats. Gone will be most of the purple neon in the lobby and replaced with LED changing color lights. It has a new ice machine plus a brand new escalator in the lobby.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

When classic posters are hard to come by, just show them ALL AT ONCE.
              Snapped these photos yesterday. The window applications are superb this year. The pane with the film-noir one they actually rotate as our sub-series categories come up.

Most of these are on the State Theatre facade (the smaller of the two venues). Film Noir and a series permanent branding one are on the Paramount windows.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ryan, is the State Theatre still a single screen? I worked there as an assistant manager in 1964 or 5. It was an Interstate theatre back then. Is it still...does that chain still exist? Do they still use a grand curtain? I only worked there for three weeks. I was a kid and all I wanted to do was be a projectionist, but was told, No, you can't do that, but we have an opening for an assistant manager, so I took it, but quickly learned about projectionist unions and what an assistant manager has to do, was basically count popcorn boxes and soda cups and has nothing to do with projection. The first week there I was introduced to all the staff but when the manager didn't mention the projectionist, I asked if I could meet him. The manager asked me, "Why?" with the look on his face as if I asked could I meet a Martian, but he did bring me up there and we said our hellos but that was about it, although looking at the projectors and equipment in the booth made my eyes glaze over.. By the third week, I had enough confidence that one night when the manager was off, I made my way back to the booth and encountered a different and not so friendly projectionist. I introduced myself and made the mistake of asking if perhaps he could teach me how to run a show. He was VERY unhappy with that question and returned a "No, I can't teach you how to run a show." So I put my foot further into it by saying, "I mean, if I learned how to run the projectors, it'd be great -- you could take a day or two off any time you wanted." At that he got REALLY angry and said, "Listen, I don't know what you are talking about, but they ONLY time you come up to talk to any of us is if there is something wrong with the picture or if there is something wrong with the sound. In fact, DON'T come up here if there is anything wrong, you use the damn telephone. What's wrong with you. This is a UNION booth...understand. Yah, it was a very rude awakening that just being employed by the theatre wasn't going to get me in a projection booth.

With that realization, I soon found that counting concession items and making out box office reports (I am terrible at math) and it was no fun at all. So I hitch-hiked to Houston to the IATSE office and applied to be a projectionist apprentice. They used me as a floater, just putting me in places when guys were on vacation like the Venus Theatre where I ran all Spanish language films -- I never knew what was going on and once, when the leaders were handwritten and mislabeled, for a whole week I was running reels 3 and 4 reversed. No one ever complained. Then when no one was on vacation, I was sent packing, I wound up at the Mattsonian -- both the Di and the indoor, and finally at the Campus Theatre (next to A&M) which was a great theatre that I love working. The other operator there was a woman; I was not aware at the time how rare that was. She used to leave soup on the rectifiers to keep warm for me. It was a great experience. That's were I went half bald when my long hippy hair got caught on the rotating extended shave at the front of the Simplex Super. But that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Angel View Post
                  Ryan, is the State Theatre still a single screen?....
                  Interesting Austin history Frank! While technically still a single screen venue, it was converted to more of a black-box performance space and the balcony/booth nixed before the Austin Theatre Alliance (aka Paramount) took ownership of it (after it was closed due to flooding for years). As far as a film space it's got a roll down 4:3 screen, and temporary C+S roll-outs, L+R in the permanent live mains, and cinema surrounds for something approaching a 5.1 system, but no masking other than a bottom valance.. It's got he same 2K DCI CP2220 that is next door now (but a much shorter throw). It gets a proper screen and LRCS installed every year for sxsw and that is when it probably most resembles it's roots as a single screen cinema. There is no booth anymore really, just a loft space that the lighting person hangs out in (the former balcony), and projector is on a catwalk that got added above the lowest balcony structure steel. If you ignore the missing balcony/booth, and squint real hard, you can see the cinema roots... mostly the orchestra rows and side-walls are still cinema style.

It is slated for a huge remodel very soon though, the historic facade is about all that is being saved. We are hoping it becomes more purpose oriented for film too... but the plan is an even more flexible space with undetermined accommodations for booth/projector, so that aspect very much remains TBD at this point. We've seen concepts, but nothing down to the real plans yet.

It's once again a Union house after it was added to the Paramount contract a few negotiations ago. Mary Nelson was one of the local's female projectionists back in the day, she's passed now but one of her trailer reels is still in the booth, but not sure you would have overlapped with her, Austin local rather than Houston. I joined when she was the BA 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X