No announcement yet.

Tarantino's New Vista Theatre LA CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul***I believe many distributors and studios will only let 35mm/70mm print films be shown reel to reel only, they don't want them spliced on a platter. Some extra long 70mm or 35mm movies are sent on a large platter type reel ready to show from the last theatre that It was shown In all spliced together for a continues play. . They are very heavy. The Vista Theatre is set up for both projection types of projection.

Comment

That and i believe the Vista will be showing a lot of personal collection prints (re Tarantino), and you CAN platter those with permission. They probably didn't want to limit themselves... plus some of those may end up in kinda a "rep rotation"... and can just stay on the platter between other screenings. Among those here, John Thomas probably knows the real answer. ;-)

Comment

Terry,

Thank you for the kind words on the sound system and the Vista renovation. As the lead designer and project manager for the Vista project with Boston Light & Sound I can tell you that the speaker system is a "custom" design and laid out for 5 screen channels quad amped. The system contains custom magnetic pre-amps and a Q-Sys system that will support just about any 35 or 70mm sound format. The Norelco projectors were refurbished with variable speed motors capable of 16 to 30 FPS and custom Kinoton Reverse Scan Sound Devices. We also were able to fit both magnetic and 35/70 DTS inside the projector head to keep the vintage look of the magazines intact. We also extended the booth from its prior foot print.

Fear not! They are able to run 100% changeover operation in 35 and 70 mm. The platter is there only for situations where a print has already been plattered or its a new release that is intended to be plattered. They can run to either projector from the platter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
          Terry,

Thank you for the kind words on the sound system and the Vista renovation. As the lead designer and project manager for the Vista project with Boston Light & Sound I can tell you that the speaker system is a "custom" design and laid out for 5 screen channels quad amped. The system contains custom magnetic pre-amps and a Q-Sys system that will support just about any 35 or 70mm sound format. The Norelco projectors were refurbished with variable speed motors capable of 16 to 30 FPS and custom Kinoton Reverse Scan Sound Devices. We also were able to fit both magnetic and 35/70 DTS inside the projector head to keep the vintage look of the magazines intact. We also extended the booth from its prior foot print.

Fear not! They are able to run 100% changeover operation in 35 and 70 mm. The platter is there only for situations where a print has already been plattered or its a new release that is intended to be plattered. They can run to either projector from the platter.
          Who designed the mag preamp circuit and what is special about it. My favorite mag preamp was the teccon one that fit he dolby frame and allowed to different presets

Comment

I would be remiss for not giving a huge shoutout and kudos to John Thomas, Aaron Ridenour, Clyde McKinney, Nate Powers, John Campbell, Brian Wilson and Thomas Piccione who were all part of the BLS team involved in the Vista project either on-site or in the shop in Boston.

Gordon,

They use the current updated chips that were in the pana-stereo with all current components. They were designed by BLS and our electronics designers. The Rev 1 version is simply a basic pre-amp everything besides level is done in Q-Sys. I believe the advantage of that is flexibility and less phase distortion, better SNR, and not relying on 30, 40, 50 year old components. We are working on a Rev 2 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
              They use the current updated chips that were in the pana-stereo with all current components. They were designed by BLS and our electronics designers. The Rev 1 version is simply a basic pre-amp everything besides level is done in Q-Sys. I believe the advantage of that is flexibility and less phase distortion, better SNR, and not relying on 30, 40, 50 year old components. We are working on a Rev 2 now.
              I can see that being important eventually for us. Our 70mm mag setup still relies on a functioning CP200, which will certainly not be replaced when it gives up.

Comment

Forgot Paul Smith who was also responsible for the micro cinema and the New Beverly. One of the best in LA!

Comment

With all due respect, nobody actually explained the proper timing for the curtain to open and close?

Comment

Terry describes it pretty well in his original post.

As many old time projection people tell me and I remember as a kid the proper way is to project the opening image both on the curtains and screen then open the drapes. Same at the end you wait till the 10 second cue upper right and start closing them so the end credits end around the same time the curtains have fully closed. You project on the drapes and screen at the same time.
                    The idea is to never show the audience a blank screen. Of course, showmanship can be subjective when it comes to the particulars.​
                    Last edited by John Thomas; 07-21-2024, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher View Post
                      I have a couple Jnior Series 4 now, and if they greenlight putting one in I'll be cooking with gas.
                      Well put! Although I personally support solar and, well, cooking with gas isn't all the rage these days. Have any of you played with ChatGPT? I tried it and it does a better job at describing my own products than I could. Makes me glad we don't employ marketing people. We don't you know (Rick left before COVID). If we did then we'd have a load of new customers to keep happy and we wouldn't be able to focus on YOU!

AI (well I assume since as it is AWS) crawls our users manual (Book of JANOS) all day long. I wonder which? It might be able to support the product better than Kevin and his team. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by John Thomas View Post
                        Terry describes it pretty well in his original post.
                        The idea is to never show the audience a blank screen. Of course, showmanship can be subjective when it comes to the particulars.​
                        I remember when I was young (7'ish) we would go to the movies (The Absent Minded Professor for example, Flubber, not good). I was actually panicked when the curtain opened to a dark blank screen. I feared it happening. I think it seemed like looking into a infinitely deep blank abyss. Scary! Anyway, yeah, I admit I covered my eyes.

This was when kids would pop the side exit doors and let friends in. No exit alarms. Then we'd apparently be disruptive enough that they would stop the film and I guess the owner would get up on stage and yell at us. Ahh, the entertainment for $0.25... might have been $0.50?

That theater was a couple miles from home and I would walk there with friends. Not all of the time my parents had any clue where I was. Today they'd be afraid of attracting the attention of Social Services.

So there was one of those surplus electronics warehouses behind where the theater was. I'd go in there. I guess even at that age I had an interest.

Comment

Working...
                        X