Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess Cinerama had to continue on some how...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Mark, thanks!

We had a D-150 theatre out in Syosset NY, and remarkably, they kept that operational long after most every single screen cinema was either tortured into a multiplex, where instead of one screen in an architectural with character, style and class...well-designed and integrated for optimal presentation with enhanced showmanship capabilities, the result were single screens hacked into multiplexes with 2, 4, 10 (and counting) screens...or they simple closed. Even new builds, while not as horrendous as the militated single screens, even the modern multiplexe scream, we are all about CONCESSIONS, with their elaborate gleaming chrome and glass concessions with large, eye-catching video displays, while the actual screening rooms are cookie-cutter, utilitarian, boring spaces, one indistinguishable from the other and each devoid of any of the accutramonts that enhance showmanship -- soulless rooms without character. But there still sat the UA-150 in Syosset. Many times I would get the entire crew together after one of our shows in BRooklyn and we'd drive the long, hour and 45 minutes out on the Long Island Distress Way just to see a movie in that single screen, Dimension 150 theatre. Seeing the trend of stomping out single screens like bugs, I was very concerned that UA would close that theatre, so I asked the Projectionist how is it that the place wasn't already chopped up. He said it was because the UA headquarters was out there on Long Island and when they wanted to do corporate or private screenings, basically showing off their creme-de-la-creme operation, of course they would use the UA-150 instead of any of their other multiplex sites which weren't NEARLY as impressive.

Even when they ran straight 35mm, that curved screen -- not too severe but wonderfully not flat -- added a feel of enhanced panorama. The Projectionist there showed me around the booth and the D-150 corrective lens that was able to keep the horizon lines from bowing by screen curve. Anyone know if they also use that for all presentation, 35mm included so as to compensated for the screen's geometric distortion?

I even prefer the fairly anemic CinemaScope curve as opposed to a flat screen. I was so committed to the "feel" created by a curved screen, that when I installed the system in our single screen in the Whitman Theatre (2500 seat), there was no way to be able to install a curved frame since the screen needed to fly and that only afforded it a single fly pipe with no more than one foot/six inches between its neighbors. What I did was, I created what I call a "perspective curve." This is accomplished by ever-so-slightly, arcing the top and bottom masks, i.e., curving the top mask (on an arc) so it dips doward in the center and curving the bottom mask (on an arc) so it raises slightly in the center as well -- voilà -- the illusion of a curved screen when seen in a darkened theatre with the movie running. Amazingly, the masks need only be slightly arced but the effect is very pronounced, The illusion is only broken if there are house lights up and the curtain is open, but we NEVER let the audience see a naked screen. I read long ago in a manual in the office at the State Theatre in Austin TX (an Interstate Theatre chain house) -- it said (paraphrasing) "The audience must never walk into the theatre and view a naked screen with the curtains opened; this is the mortal sin of presentation!"

Oh, how sinful this industry has become.

Comment

Yes, have heard of that theater. If I'm not mistaken, it may have been the first D-150 theater built. I have A D-150 Super Curvalon projection lens kicking around here somewhere. The thing weighs a ton, over 20 pounds...

Comment

Exactly -- VERY heavy. The projectionist had a bungee cord rigged from the ceiling that hooked on to the top of that Curvalon lens. There was a bungee for each machine.

He told me originally the D-150 contract required that all the other formats have to be projected smaller than an actual D-150 title (how many were there, like 3 or 4 actual D150s?) but that required an elaborate masking system that moved all four -- the normal sides but also top and bottom. Once D150 films stopped being produced, he said they just got different lenses and showed all films filling the screen top to bottom. He said the complex masking system was frequently plagued with issues and it was less touchy when it only needed to move the sides. I never saw any of the D150 titles in the process; I would have loved to see PATTON there. I imagine it was very impressive seeing the 4-way masking opening from a regular 1.85 flat 35mm short or preview to the full screen size for the D150 feature.

Comment

Below is a video done by a retired projectionist who built a curved screen for his home cinema:

The video is from his Youtube channel, "Dave's Digital Movies" at: https://www.youtube.com/@davesdigitalmovies

About
          My videos' cover several subjects, many were made through the lockdown. The original idea was to make my 'MEMORIES OF A CINEMA PROJECTIONIST' available for all. I have edited it down to short excerpts, The videos of my home cinema attract quite a bit of attention. I try to give tips based on my 40 years experience as a cinema projectionist. I have just set up a Dave's Digital Movies facebook page.​

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Angel View Post
            Exactly -- VERY heavy. The projectionist had a bungee cord rigged from the ceiling that hooked on to the top of that Curvalon lens. There was a bungee for each machine.

He told me originally the D-150 contract required that all the other formats have to be projected smaller than an actual D-150 title (how many were there, like 3 or 4 actual D150s?) but that required an elaborate masking system that moved all four -- the normal sides but also top and bottom. Once D150 films stopped being produced, he said they just got different lenses and showed all films filling the screen top to bottom. He said the complex masking system was frequently plagued with issues and it was less touchy when it only needed to move the sides. I never saw any of the D150 titles in the process; I would have loved to see PATTON there. I imagine it was very impressive seeing the 4-way masking opening from a regular 1.85 flat 35mm short or preview to the full screen size for the D150 feature.
            The Bible, and Patton.were it. D-150 came out during the slow time of 70mm releases. The one in Oakbrook opened with Oliver, then it ran Song Of Norway, and a couple of other 70mm shows. Patton ran at The Palace Theater in down town.Chicago. That theater had been de-Cinerama'd, and a pair of DP-70's installed with a flat sheet. Nothing after that till Apocylapse Now played at Oakbrook D150 in 70mm. By the time that rolled around, U.A. had twinned the theater kept the DP-70's, but moved them over to the larger side. Apocylipse was the very first Dolby show I ever went to... The theater was torn down in the mid 80's, and an AT&T parking garage sits on the site today
            Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; Yesterday, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mark for the nice photos. The UA D-150 jacket and masking control box booth photo is classic. Did you ever see the1960 Mike Todd Jr 70mm Smell-O-Vision movie 'Scent Of Mystery' It failed and was a stinker. One of your photos from the Cinestage Theatre shows the odor control machine set up backstage. The owners or the film tried to re release this bad movie under many different titles like 'Holiday In Spain' in 70mm roadshow without the aromas.

Even that failed, then to keep some of the Cinerama Theatres going when they were starting to run out of 3 projector movies they took the 70mm print of 'Scent Of Mystery' and cut It into 3 sections and released in 3 projector Cinerama under 'Holiday In Spain' I have been told It looked so bad with the crease lines . They have since cleaned it up and released in the curve Blu Ray Smilebox system and you can't see the lines much anymore.

Maybe they need to do what John Waters did in 1981 with Odor Rama in 'Polyester' and re create the Smell-O-Vision effect with some sort of a scratch & sniff aroma card with the Blu Ray version? Someone must still have the scents that were used or a control sheet on the release into the theatre of the smells thru a air blowing system.

A friend of mine saw the original version of 'Scent Of Mystery' in Smell-O-Vision and said the odor smell was pretty good . The timing had to be correct for the release into the cinema or It would miss the cue spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Monohan View Post
                Thanks Mark for the nice photos. The UA D-150 jacket and masking control box booth photo is classic. Did you ever see the1960 Mike Todd Jr 70mm Smell-O-Vision movie 'Scent Of Mystery' It failed and was a stinker. One of your photos from the Cinestage Theatre shows the odor control machine set up backstage. The owners or the film tried to re release this bad movie under many different titles like 'Holiday In Spain' in 70mm roadshow without the aromas.

Even that failed, then to keep some of the Cinerama Theatres going when they were starting to run out of 3 projector movies they took the 70mm print of 'Scent Of Mystery' and cut It into 3 sections and released in 3 projector Cinerama under 'Holiday In Spain' I have been told It looked so bad with the crease lines . They have since cleaned it up and released in the curve Blu Ray Smilebox system and you can't see the lines much anymore.

Maybe they need to do what John Waters did in 1981 with Odor Rama in 'Polyester' and re create the Smell-O-Vision effect with some sort of a scratch & sniff aroma card with the Blu Ray version? Someone must still have the scents that were used or a control sheet on the release into the theatre of the smells thru a air blowing system.

A friend of mine saw the original version of 'Scent Of Mystery' in Smell-O-Vision and said the odor smell was pretty good . The timing had to be correct for the release into the cinema or It would miss the cue spot.
                Terry, no... never saw it in Smell-O-Vision... I was just 5 years old in.1960. The other image of the outside shows some circus people putting on a show before the start of "Scent". Perhaps Todd Jr wanted to try to give the attendies something more so they wouldn't feel cheated. The only thing left at Cinestage was the scent machine which was in the basement, in it's own room next to the air handler. The vials of odor were still in.place. There were also the usual cat sized rats, so didn't stay down there very long. Am aware of Holiday In Spain, and a friend actually had a beet red 70mm print of it that we ran in my basement screening room. It was extremely boring but the mag tracks still sounded great! Oh, and the original Todd-AO cement splicer was still on the rewind bench in the booth, so a friend that was with grabbed that. Far as I know Todd Jr never produced another film after that...

Comment

Working...
                X