Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Sky studio to shut down

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...-to-shut-down/

After acquiring 21st Century Fox in 2018, Disney moved forward with content plans that, in some ways, celebrated and married the combined corporate-entertainment universes. But film cancellations and corporate redundancies soon followed, and today's announcement is a huge one for CGI animation. Blue Sky Studios, the makers of the Ice Age and Rio film series, is shutting down.

Citing "the current economic realities," a Disney spokesperson confirmed to Deadline that Blue Sky will be fully shut down by this April, affecting all 450+ employees in the Greenwich, Connecticut, studio. But Disney will keep all the rights to Blue Sky's series and characters, and according to the same Deadline report, an unnamed animation team inside the Disney corporate machine is moving forward with an Ice Age series exclusively for Disney+.
    Bad Nimona news

For years, CG animation at Disney had a severe split in quality between its outside partnership with Pixar and the company's in-house Disney Animation Studios. That changed with the megaton budget and years of stops-and-restarts in the making of 2010's Tangled, a critical and commercial success that paved the way to more internal-production successes like Frozen, Moana, and Wreck-It Ralph. At the same time, Pixar became a wholly owned Disney property in 2006 and continued to thrive with its own universe of existing IP and new series.

Enter Blue Sky Studios, whose eyes in 2018 were on an entirely new franchise in the form of Spies in Disguise. The film debuted one year later as arguably Blue Sky's worst theatrical performance yet—though how much of its marketing and hype cycle was affected by the handover from Fox to Disney remains unclear. Today's Deadline report says that the studio's closure means curtains for Blue Sky's next brand-new film series, based on the half-sci-fi, half-fantasy graphic novel Nimona, which originally eyed a 2020 theatrical launch when it was announced in 2017. Deadline reports that the project only had "10 months" of production left to complete and will, for the time being, remain unfinished.

Today's news marks a bitter full-circle story for Blue Sky, since the company began in the 1980s after six of its founders were laid off at a different studio: MAGI, a pioneering CGI-animation firm that shut down shortly after finishing contract work for Disney on 1982's TRON.

Ice Age's Disney+ series is a good indicator that Disney will continue exploiting the billions in box office and home video sales of Blue Sky's biggest properties—and perhaps Disney will follow through on a spokesperson pledge to rehire Blue Sky staffers inside the Disney family, thus clearing the way for those staffers to continue working on prior Blue Sky series (or their work on licensed series like Peanuts and Dr. Seuss books).

It's not surprising. They can fold the Blue Sky characters in with Disney Animation... I think the only reason they allowed Pixar to keep its separate operations was because they were so huge when Disney bought them, it made no sense to fold them in. Blue Sky, while successful, was not quite the same story.

Comment

When I first saw this, I thought that it was sad, but the one positive was that this would be the end of the Ice Age franchise. However, it seems there's going to be an Ice Age TV Series on Disney+, so I can't see any positives. Blue Sky wasn't as well known or well regarded by Joe Public, but I liked much of their work. Horton Hears a Who will always be a favourite of mine - I just love the wackiness. I just hope that all the people that work there get new jobs somewhere - the quote from the original source: "Disney will be working with the employees at the Greenwich, CT-based studio to explore open positions at the other internal studios." sounds like it's far from guaranteed.

Comment

RIP Blue Sky studios. I hope Big Sky is OK though and continues to make platters.

Comment

The death of Blue Sky Studios is a cost of consolidation. There will be a lot lost with Disney's takeover of 20th Century Fox. In the end consumers could see a lot less variety in terms of new movies. That is unless the streaming upstarts do something, but they don't really care so much about preserving the theatrical movie-going experience. Amazon does to a cursory degree, but not Netflix. Major movie studios are becoming ever more dependent on existing movie properties. In the end it's all pretty much only about selling subscription content on TV. I guess that's where we're headed.

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley
          It's not surprising. They can fold the Blue Sky characters in with Disney Animation... I think the only reason they allowed Pixar to keep its separate operations was because they were so huge when Disney bought them, it made no sense to fold them in. Blue Sky, while successful, was not quite the same story.
          Pixar was able to continue existing as an individual entity under the Disney umbrella due to its talent. For CG-based cartoons Pixar has been the best. Pixar's movies have usually been very good and they've always been at the top in terms of technical prowess. Blue Sky Studios wasn't in the same league, not even on the same level as Pacific Data Images.

Comment

Working...
          X