After Credit Scene Announcement before Film starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

Yeah, but the catering didn't work on the film, neither did the people in the accounting department. Where do you draw the line? Should we list all the people that worked at the power company and kept the power flowing? What about the poor people at the water company?
    IMHO, yes they did and I want to see them in the credits.

If you don't like them, you can leave but I shouldn't have to run to IMDb after the film to find these things out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post

IMHO, yes they did and I want to see them in the credits.
        There is a lot of information on IMDB that you usually won't find in the credits. Stuff like filming locations, bloopers, usually a ton of trivia and technical specifications.

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post

If you don't like them, you can leave but I shouldn't have to run to IMDb after the film to find these things out.
        That's what the entire discussion is about, I can't leave for sure, because I don't know if there is an after credits scene or not... Maybe I'm missing THE plot twist I've been waiting for the entire movie, just like poor Bart Simpson almost did.

You know, I somewhat miss the time when movies started with credits and ended with credits... I'd rather like those who produce the movies to make good movies rather than trying to be clever and that's exactly what those post and mid-credit scenes are all about... trying to be smart, whereas if you logically think about it, it's all just a super stupid fad.

Comment

I've always liked the format of the old early 70's movies and earlier, where a reasonable number of credits were shown at the start of the movie along with the title and whatnot, and the end of the movie said "The End".

Comment

I hated that and was so happy when longer credits started so I could see who all the set designers were along with electricians, focus pullers, DGA and PGA trainees, caterers and everyone else.

People who worked at ILM for a year and didn’t see friends, family and missed countless events to make sure the film made its release date should be listed. You may know you spent a year getting Thanos’ knuckle just right but being listed in the credits gives you tangible proof.

It took a decade to get your catering business up and running, but being listed in the credits for a new movie? Proof and invaluable credibility on the street.

The same for clearance agencies, consultants and numerous others.

Beautiful scenery? Check the “thanks” section of the credits for a thank you to the residents of the filming location.

How true was the story featuring a real person? Check the end credits.

As mentioned before, was it shot with ARRI? Panavision? Canon? RED? On film? It’s in the credits.

These are all things hard to find for 1970s films, but can be found in the end credits of modern films.

Comment

28CREDIT-BLOAT-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg
              Can you really read all of that while it's constantly scrolling upward and the bottom names reach the top of the screen in about four seconds?

I have a certain amount of difficulty believing that this is actually useful to anyone watching it in the theatre without access to a pause button.

Comment

If you're looking for one or a few specific names or "items" in the credits it's pretty easy to spot. I'm sure Srikalyan Tallapragada's parents spotted his or her name in those credits.

Comment

Well, we know some people like the endless credit roll, and others do not. My question is what does the audience as a whole think? Does the audience stick around to the bitter end, or do they exit as soon as the credit roll starts?

To me, the endless opening credits and ending credits has a negative impact on the presentation as a whole. It is quite simply, bad showmanship.

Comment

My experiences over the years and places I've been to, worked for, etc. are pretty consistent. Most people clearly head for the exit once the end credits roll. You'll have the occasional guest that will stick around for the entire credits. Now, the Mavel movies changed this behavior, especially for all movies in their own franchise. I'd say that in general, about half of the people will linger around in the auditorium, most still in their seats and some in some zombie exit-stage, stuck between their seat and the door that leads to the exit. If there is a mid-credits scene, you'll see about half of the people leave after that scene, the rest will linger around to see if there may be a post-credit scene after all...

Maybe your experiences vary, but to me, this behavior is very consistent and a clear indication that most people aren't really willing to watch the end-credits, but simply do so, because of the fear of missing out on something.

I remember how I was once confronted by some employee when I was watching the end credits of a movie I forgot the name of... I was specifically looking for a company name in the credits. The guy literally told me three times that the movie was over and I should leave. First time I just pointed at the credits, second time I told him that I paid for the entire movie and third time I reminded him that his employers contract 'with the studio specifically states that movies have to be played integral from start to finish and that includes the entire credits. After that, he seemingly was affraid of me and made a big circle around me...

Comment

The only credits I am interested in are the actors, the director, the cinematographer(s), the score composer, the special effects company (don’t care about their employees), locations, and maybe the producer. The rest are vanity credits. As I can look this up online, I rarely stay of any end credits.

What also annoys me it multiple studio/production company logos. This trend is pushing me to watch movies at home where I can fast forward.

Comment

I like,production company logos too, as I know whose are whose.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                          28CREDIT-BLOAT-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg
                          Can you really read all of that while it's constantly scrolling upward and the bottom names reach the top of the screen in about four seconds?

I have a certain amount of difficulty believing that this is actually useful to anyone watching it in the theatre without access to a pause button.
                          Yes, and I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
                            Well, we know some people like the endless credit roll, and others do not. My question is what does the audience as a whole think? Does the audience stick around to the bitter end, or do they exit as soon as the credit roll starts?

To me, the endless opening credits and ending credits has a negative impact on the presentation as a whole. It is quite simply, bad showmanship.
                            To me it indicates supreme showmanship and appreciation for what went on.

People leaving during the end credits strike me as similar to people who run out of a theater during the curtain call or who leave the symphony before the ovations and the introduction of each section.

Yes, people do.

To me it smacks more of impatience.

When I've been lucky enough to see a road show presentation of a film, I never leave until the last note of the exit music has played; my rule has always been I don't move until the projector shuts off, the exception being the Sony digital projectors that go into their five minute on-screen cool down countdown.

One of my favorite credit additions of the past few decades was Pixar's "Production Babies" - the names of babies born to people working on the film during its production.

Then there were always the credits ZAZ stuck into their moves like Airplane!

Comment

What also annoys me it multiple studio/production company logos. This trend is pushing me to watch movies at home where I can fast forward.
                              Seriously, you would forego a theatrical experience just because of 30 seconds worth of logos? You would skip forward at home, and potentially shave off the first few seconds of the actual film, just to avoid seeing a few logos?

I don't like the long string of logos much either, but come on. If you were a company that dumped millions of dollars into a movie in hopes of making a buck, wouldn't you want to hang your shingle on the product? I would. I don't think it's fair to deny them their moment in the sun, after all, if it wasn't for those logos the movie might not have gotten made.

We have customers of every type here. I think a lot of credit-watchers are just using the time to "stay in the world" of the movie for a few minutes, think about what they've seen, and prepare to go back to normal life. It's a process.

I did like it better when you would have a lot of the credits at the beginning of the movie. It set the stage and the mood. The "current" thing of not even having the freaking title at the beginning is dumb to me, because for me a big part of a movie's DNA is its title screen, and if I haven't seen that, then I'm sitting there with a feeling the movie hasn't really started yet. Eventually I'll get into the story but it takes longer because they didn't show the title. The question I have is, "WHY" not show the title? Is it that big of a distraction to show the name of the MOVIE THEY CAME TO SEE on the screen? Are they worried about spoiling the mood that's been set up by the trailers? I just don't get the thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                                The question I have is, "WHY" not show the title? Is it that big of a distraction to show the name of the MOVIE THEY CAME TO SEE on the screen? Are they worried about spoiling the mood that's been set up by the trailers? I just don't get the thought process.
                                That's because those who made the movie thought they're being clever. It's just as dumb as the current trend to have a dozen post-/mid-credit scenes. I remember how Man on the Moon started with the end-credits, back in 1999. That was kind of funny, for once...

Remember the title card of the movie below? It came AFTER the entire thing finished, after about 645 minutes:

1000?cb=20100819044005.png

Comment

Working...
                                X