New Theatre - Advice requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saleem Padinharkkara View Post
    @Jon Dent - I used to work for Digikey Nice place that!
    Really? Small world.

Comment

The reason we are doing all Atmos is because we are primarily dealing with non-hollywood movies and due to that, there are a lot of Atmos titles out there.
      I would have expected it to be the other way around... the more Hollywood titles the more Atmos. What content are you planning to run?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Dent View Post

Really? Small world.

Contact Gordon McLoed in Toronto or message him through this site.

Comment

Another Digi'ite?

Comment

Sounds like a theater that's dying to get one of these LED screens...
            So you just spent $120,000 on a 120-inch 4K HDR screen and think you've got the biggest, baddest TV around? Nope! Samsung has unveiled the Cinema LED Screen that's an epic 10.3 meters (33.8 feet, or 406 inches).

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Crooks View Post

I would have expected it to be the other way around... the more Hollywood titles the more Atmos. What content are you planning to run?
              Indian, Chinese and Korean titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                Personally, I'd use the SP4K line from Barco...no laser-phosphor, real RGB laser and all 4K...which will be, at least, as good as home TVs. The depth in the image of 4K exceeds the hyper-flat of 2K.
                So 4K will make a difference even in smaller screens? Are there any screens that you have done 4K which was less than 40ft?

Comment

Indian, Chinese and Korean titles.
                  Do you have a lot of competition with those movies?
                  If you don't have a lot of competition when it comes to movies from India, you don't need to be the state of the art Taj Mahal of small movie theaters. For every dollar in invest in the theater you might have to raise the price of the experience you are offering.

With those titles I can not be a lot of help to you because we would die with those movies but I will leave you with this..... don't let pride get in the way of making good business decisions.

Comment

Sure. LOTS of them (more and more now as 2K seems to be last decade's resolution). Warehouse Cinemas-Frederick was our first all RGB laser, all 4K projection (10 screens). None are 40-feet wide (but three of them are close). https://warehousecinemas.com/about.

Think about it, Barco offers the SP4K-12C...that isn't for a theatre with a 40-foot wide screen (and really neither is the SP4K-15C)...The under-40-feet theory from last decade was for justification for not spending a significant amount of extra money on 4K. Nobody (but Sony) was making "small" 4K projectors. A 12,000lm projector isn't exactly huge. And, it isn't terribly expensive either.

Comment

LOL! The big Sony's couldn't comfortably light up a 40 foot screen.

Comment

4K really should be the default for any new install. Imagine, some people are already upgrading their 4K panels at home to 8K panels and cinema is still stuck at 2K... Yeah, there are obvious quality differences between DCP content and 4K streams, but the gap is closing fast, especially with current HDR offerings and a new array of compression codecs.

Keep in mind that people will sit closer to the screen in smaller rooms. The added detail and depth of true 4K really adds the "cinematic dimension". Even for 2K releases, 4K offers the benefit of less to no visible screen door effect, which those in the first rows will thank you for.

One argument against 4K was that 2K offers better contrast, but this argument doesn't hold up for the latest generation of 4K laser projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                          Warehouse Cinemas-Frederick was our first all RGB laser, all 4K projection (10 screens). None are 40-feet wide (but three of them are close). https://warehousecinemas.com/about.
                          Nice, Warehouse Cinemas are an interesting concept and I ultimately want to do something similar in Canada. Would love to pick your brain about that concept

Comment

never mind

Comment

Working...
                            X