A new low, even for AMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

There's always Netflix, that's where disgruntled Hollywood directors go now, isn't it? Or if you want to make sure somebody rich pays for it but absolutely nobody watches it, there is AppleTV.
    Also, the Korean movie industry is really up and coming, so if you can, maybe change the setting somewhat? Or if you don't want that, you should convince them to make "Hollywood Style" movies, just like the Italians did back in the heyday of the Spaghetti Western. Maybe entire new genres could come out of it: The Kimchi Comedy or the Bulgogi Drama?
    Furthermore, you don't seem to have your Hollywood Accounting in place. Instead of paying the artist, composers and other license holders their six-plus figures, you promise them a stake in the profit. As a good representative of the Studio System you then make sure the movie makes absolutely zero profit, no matter what the box office may indicate.

For the novel, if you only reference the song and maybe quote a few lines of the lyrics, you should be fine. There are no copyrights on references and quotations, as long as they're reasonable and to the point, are also exempt from copyright.
    LOL Netflix might be the best option if it ever makes it to a video/film project. I won't ever support Apple though, I'm sure you saw my thread on the MP3/4 player debacle at the race track.

The setting would be difficult if not impossible to change, it would only work in a US or possibly UK culture (the UK setting wouldn't make the characters as interesting, as the UK sensibility with wicked humor and "taking the piss out of somebody" is not at all common or PC here, and one of the leads is VERY much not PC. That's what drives the main storyline.)

Funny you mentioned the Korean cinema...when I worked for a university here, we ran a LOT of Korean films (the director of the program was Korean, go figure..) and many were very well done, both visually and storywise. I could even follow the story without needing the subtitles.

The points option is a good idea, but I don't think most clearinghouses will accept that kind of deal. Especially on a no-name writer's work. But worth asking for. I can surely see my project relying heavily on "Hollywood Accounting" to make it show as a success and not a flop.

I will be sneaking some of the lyrics into the dialog between the two leads at a few points, as they accurately express the conflicts between the two.

Anyways, 'nuff said on this. I've already derailed this thread long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

There's always Netflix, that's where disgruntled Hollywood directors go now, isn't it? Or if you want to make sure somebody rich pays for it but absolutely nobody watches it, there is AppleTV.
      Also, the Korean movie industry is really up and coming, so if you can, maybe change the setting somewhat? Or if you don't want that, you should convince them to make "Hollywood Style" movies, just like the Italians did back in the heyday of the Spaghetti Western. Maybe entire new genres could come out of it: The Kimchi Comedy or the Bulgogi Drama?
      Furthermore, you don't seem to have your Hollywood Accounting in place. Instead of paying the artist, composers and other license holders their six-plus figures, you promise them a stake in the profit. As a good representative of the Studio System you then make sure the movie makes absolutely zero profit, no matter what the box office may indicate.

For the novel, if you only reference the song and maybe quote a few lines of the lyrics, you should be fine. There are no copyrights on references and quotations, as long as they're reasonable and to the point, are also exempt from copyright.

I think streaming is actually killing the exhibition business to a large degree. I've recently seen polls of how many people in what age range go to the movies as well as the same thing regarding streaming. Neither of the sets of figures were not good. A very low percentage even have streaming services to begin with and and even fewer subscribe to the Netflix's and Paramount+'s that are out there. Amazon has the highest percentage but that's likely artificially inflated because it's included with Prime. Overall it's looking pretty bleak. When I went to Ferrari the other day, there were two other attendees other than Paula and myself. Yet the ever popular shopping mall where we went barely had any parking spots and a new parking garage is under construction. No way was everyone at Cheese Cake Factory. the next closest entity before you actually go into the mall itself... Business is down, and studios are being bought up... Not such a great biz any more.

Comment

We went to the movie “Ferrari” at the AMC 24 dine-in at Disney world. It’s the first time this place has let me down. Seats were dirty, sticky spots on the armrests, etc. obviously not cleaned lately. Concession was mostly grab’n’go with one kid running a checkout counter. Soda (Coke freestyle) was semi decent. Screen has no masking so the picture, which consists of 75% dark scenes in this movie, looked washed out. Sound was good though, so there was that at least.

Comment

That’s pretty sad, you’d think any theater at a place owned or run by a movie studio would have the absolute highest presentation standards, ever.

Comment

Working...
          X