IMAX sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMAX sound

Hi to you all, I am new here and I hope this is the right section. I don't work in the theatrical industry, I am just someone passionate about. I am Italian and live in Italy, I sometime go to the "only laser" IMAX in Italy, Uci Orio IMAX , a dual laser 1.90 screen, almost 30m width screen, massive.

But lately I am noticing some small squares in the middle of the screen. Reading online it seems it's a screen shaker problem, is the only fix a total changing of the screen?

Also sound is sometime a tad too bright or metallic with dialogues which become unintelligible in the mix of action and soundtrack, with a kind of lack of bass. For example this was noticeable in furiosa. Also a bit of reverb too

I tried some other IMAX in other countries and they sounded better. I emailed imax quality and they have always answered gently but never really fixed these two problems. Is the IMAX sound always like this? I know it's usually very loud and there it's very loud.. just I feel like some IMAX sounds better than others otherwise I wouldn't explain how bfi IMAX or AMC Lincoln are so famous.

Welcome Luca to this great movie theatre site. Every IMAX Theatre I have been to seems to have different sounding speakers. The cheap small screen Mini Imax screens are the worst in sound quality. These are put in former larger auditoriums spaces in multiplex cinemas just trying to make more money by saying IMAX. The sound leaks over to the next cinema. They are not the single big screen semi curved original 70mm film IMAX screens from the past.

That look that you tell about do you think It is a pixel lost projection problem or the screen Itself. The sound may be some broke speaker cones. Many older IMAX Theatres don't have good speakers for the surround channel. Most just have two big speaker boxes aimed down in the back ceiling corners.

It's always great to see a 70mm IMAX film on a large screen or a 3D IMAX movie with a nice size screen.

If you ever go to Hollywood CA check out the Chinese Hollywood IMAX Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. They are one of the few IMAX theatres with slow moving presentation curtains and have a great stage /surround stereo mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Monohan View Post
      Welcome Luca to this great movie theatre site. Every IMAX Theatre I have been to seems to have different sounding speakers. The cheap small screen Mini Imax screens are the worst in sound quality. These are put in former larger auditoriums spaces in multiplex cinemas just trying to make more money by saying IMAX. The sound leaks over to the next cinema. They are not the single big screen semi curved original 70mm film IMAX screens from the past.

That look that you tell about do you think It is a pixel lost projection problem or the screen Itself. The sound may be some broke speaker cones. Many older IMAX Theatres don't have good speakers for the surround channel. Most just have two big speaker boxes aimed down in the back ceiling corners.

It's always great to see a 70mm IMAX film on a large screen or a 3D IMAX movie with a nice size screen.

If you ever go to Hollywood CA check out the Chinese Hollywood IMAX Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. They are one of the few IMAX theatres with slow moving presentation curtains and have a great stage /surround stereo mix.
      Thanks! Yeah I will go there one day. Unfortunately a vacation there from here, with Italian wages, it's pretty expensive but it's on my radar when I will have the possibility. I would also love to visit bfi IMAX since it's closer to me

​​

Comment

Working...
      X