Drive in Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive in Speakers

We have a four screen drive in and have always had speakers along with FM radio. In this day and age of lights on vehicles that stay on when the radio is on. We know all the tricks to get the lights off but some customers still have the problem with the dash lights and the screens in the dash still stay on. We have recently purchase a lot of speakers from another drive in who does not use them any more and plan on putting more speakers up on all screens. My question is does anyone know where to get decent replacement cones at reasonable prices. We used to get them from Speco and Drive In manufacturing but no more. The last few years we have bought Bosh speakers and they seem to work fine but they are a little pricey. If anyone know where these speaker cones can get gotten would appreciate your help. Thank You.

Have you done an internet search for "speaker cone replacement"? There a many small operations that specialize in selling kits for refurbishing speakers. They are geared towards consumer speakers, but may be able to help you find parts for drive in speakers.

Comment

https://www.parts-express.com/?gclid...gaAmnLEALw_wcB

Comment

( I couldn't resist adding this )
        EpradDrivInSpkrAd.jpg
        ​​

Comment

When the local drive in theater was operating and before FM sound, the projectionist used regular paper cone speakers and treated the cones with Dow Corning Silicon Shoe Saver. It made the cones water proof and did very little to the sound that was produced. It didn't loosen the glue either. Don't know where you can get that stuff now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
            ( I couldn't resist adding this )

sabrina.jpg

Comment

Advertising 101 Boobs get attention
              Wardrobe 101 What nature has forgotten we supplement with cotton
              Average junior high boy response "WOW"
              By the way, what were they selling anyway?

Comment

My guess is that when the ad was published, your typical junior high boy would not be the target market for a slide projector. Your typical 40-something, slightly overweight purchasing manager for a school district might, though - and this ad would work on him (and in those days, it almost certainly would have been a him) just as well!

Incidentally, I'm not sure if the Sabrina in the ad is this Sabrina (real name: Norma Ann Sykes), but if so, her career had a rather downbeat conclusion.

Comment

Look for the size, than go into any far east import company supplying speakers of the same kind, preferably with a plastic membrane material. You can waterproof paper from the front side, but still weatherproof speakers are longer living, and condensation is an issue outdoors and long term.
                  The in car speakers are not designed to deliver HiFi sounds, they have to offer good speech response in the first place. There are lots of vendors on-line selling these. Look for P.A. or full range speaker, check mechanical data, and buy a few test candidates. Check which works best. The speaker boxes should incorporate the matching xformer, so any lo impedance unit will do.

Comment

Working...
                  X