NEC 1200 menu button inoperative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Leo,
    When at NEC School in NZ we Ian and I were shown how to make the USB device. It is plugged into the USB port on the CPU Board and it Clears the Service Door Tamper only without the need of the Keypad. Still requires Technician to be on site in person, Handy though when you are wanting to enter the password into the keypad and the Cinema operator is looking over your shoulder. Marriage Tampers can then be Cleared via DCC.
    I actually struck a NC900 with a dodgy keypad at a remote site, luckily I had the USB drive on me, which allowed me to return the projector back to normal operation without more drastic measures.

Cheers Fraser

Comment

I ALWAYS gave they customers the tamper password because they need it after changing a lamp and resetting hours.... I certainly did not want to be bothered with that menial stuff unless they ran into a problem...

Comment

I knew I always liked you Mark!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richie May View Post
          I knew I always liked you Mark!!!
          You'll never know how many customers I still have to reset the hours for because they can't remember how to use DCC or do it through the side panel buttons. I'd say about 1/3 of the places I installed them in.

Comment

Thanks Fraser - I'm going to follow up with NEC to find out how to make one of these keys.

As for end users, I give them the "advanced user" unlock code, which allows them to enter new lamp info, but nothing else that a regular user can't do, in the normal course of events. I don't give out the service mode code as a general rule, because that allows you to do stuff that could disable the projector if you make a mistake. There is also "installation mode," which allows you to do everything except update firmware.

I would give an end user the installation mode or service mode code if I'm confident that they'll use it for a specific purpose, and are unlikely to make an error, or be inclined to tinker, that could cause other problems. But I don't give either out without thinking about it.

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
            You'll never know how many customers I still have to reset the hours for because they can't remember how to use DCC or do it through the side panel buttons.
            Likewise, the number of customers who won't enter the certificate code when installing an Ushio bulb is astonishing - around 90% of them. I always have to explain patiently that if they have to warranty return an Ushio bulb, the projector's log file is asked for, and it shows that the certificate code has not been entered, they may refuse the claim. Quite apart from that, using the cert code removes any risk of entering an incorrect model of bulb.

Comment

It just sucks that this guy now has to order a new keypad to "close the service door" so he can run again.

Comment

The certificate number is nasty...not only is it absurdly long, it has hyphens in it but you don't enter those!

Comment

Agreed completely that omitting the two dashes is an unnecessary gotcha, that should have been addressed either by a firmware update, or by instructions on the cert code sheet that comes with the bulb, by now.

Comment

Ushio or Osram never has asked for a cert code on a warranty claim with us

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
                      Ushio or Osram never has asked for a cert code on a warranty claim with us
                      Same here, although I have not had a Ushio claim in going on 5 years now...

Comment

I never had an actual refusal, but in once instance of a DOA bulb (wouldn't strike, and two "used but OK" ones retained in the booth for emergency use, with 50-100 warranty hours left on them, struck without complaining), I did get a query as to why the log did not show the cert code as having been entered, together with an admonishment that this is a requirement for honoring warranty claims. They did honor that claim and replaced the bulb, but ever since, I've reminded all my customers that entering the cert code is the way to go when installing a new bulb (minus the dashes, as Steve points out). Quite apart from anything else, it removes the risk of accidentally selecting the wrong model of bulb from a menu. Were you to accidentally register a new 3kW bulb as being a 6.5, the results could be interesting, to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                        X