SNMP Trap problems on Wind Blows 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNMP Trap problems on Wind Blows 10.

I was able to turn it on in "services", and it's running, Tried installing 5.4.2.1 from the download and it installs as normal, but remains elusive. It does appear in the Programs and Apps and I can delete it as well. I even tried the latest version to no avail. It also does not appear in the "Add Features" section as videos on You Tube show it should.. Anyone else run into this issue???
    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-17-2021, 02:53 PM.

Problem solved. The customer had ordered his new computer with Classic Shell installed on it. Now that app hasn't been updated in at least a couple years now Uninstalling that and reinstalling Net-SNMP worked just fine. I have two TMS also running W-10 for a couple years now and those customers installed classic shell in them without checking first, but I disabled the Windows update in those once the systems were up and running. W-10 seems to have an awful lot of updates....

Comment

Microsoft used to maintain their own SNMP service as part of the Windows WMI stack, but a few years ago they started to deprecate that. I'm not even sure if it can be enabled on the latest versions of Windows without going through some hoops.

Net-SNMP is an external Open Source package, most of the Windows binaries are pretty old and unmaintained. What version did you manage to get hold of?

Comment

It's still there in."services" but as shipped it is disabled and has to be started and then configured. I use the open source version because it integrates with the TMS app being used. The addition of classic shell kills both the Windows version and the open source version. Considering how many versions of W-10 we are down the road from the last time classic shell was updated, I am surprised there aren't other issues it causes...

Comment

Wind Blows 10 is a good description of this latest OS from Microsoftdick. This laptop I am on now has more issues than an anorexic supermodel with a fading career than any other computer I have ever used.

And the endless updates are a joke, since they always seem to cause more issues than they supposedly fix.

I have a decades old desktop system (which I use only offline) with Win XP on it that has never let me down yet.

Comment

Remember, Win-XP started off as being known as "Xtra Problems" when it kicked out Win98SE. Win7 was one of the few Microsofties that seemed to hit the ground running without too many complaints (all software has issues but Win 7 was on the low side).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
              It's still there in."services" but as shipped it is disabled and has to be started and then configured. I use the open source version because it integrates with the TMS app being used. The addition of classic shell kills both the Windows version and the open source version. Considering how many versions of W-10 we are down the road from the last time classic shell was updated, I am surprised there aren't other issues it causes...
              Yeah, but it's marked as deprecated by Microsoft themselves and hasn't seen any love in years. The next major revision may finally get rid of it... or not...

Apparently, there seems to be a Windows 11 in the works. Maybe Microsoft realized that keeping the version at 10 for forever is highly confusing, as there are now so many revisions of Windows 10 out there, nobody knows what actual version he/she is on...

Comment

I'm not normally one to defend Microsoft products, but Win10 has been quite stable for me for the last couple of years. Most Windows problems now are the result of cheap sub-standard hardware ($200 bargain-basement computers, for example), but Win10 runs fine on decent hardware.

The biggest objection that I have to it is the forced patching, which requires some contortions to defeat. There are some GUI issues that I have with it, too (mostly the lack of window borders, which drives me crazy on a daily basis). Many default settings are also poorly chosen (it is beyond me why autorun still exists and "show file extensions" is still disabled by default). On the other hand, Windows now has ssh/sftp built in, Windows Terminal is decent, and hardware support is excellent. If only they had sold Win10 LTSB/LTSC as an actual product to end users....

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

Yeah, but it's marked as deprecated by Microsoft themselves and hasn't seen any love in years. The next major revision may finally get rid of it... or not...

Apparently, there seems to be a Windows 11 in the works. Maybe Microsoft realized that keeping the version at 10 for forever is highly confusing, as there are now so many revisions of Windows 10 out there, nobody knows what actual version he/she is on...
                  Yea, no kidding on the version!! Mine says Version 10.0.19043, Build 19043. That's just crazy. I think I'll hold out for WInd Blows 13..... I still like 7 the best.

Comment

They need to get rid of the Windows name. Those things on the screen are not windows, they have never been windows. They're boxes. They could call it Boxes and start over with Boxes 1.0.

Or Rectangles. No, I like Boxes. That way Apple could come out with a campaign called "Think Outside the Boxes."

Comment

At least it wasn't Microsoft who came up with the name "window" for the phenomenon. The Xerox Alto and later the Xerox Star desktop already had something very similar called "windows". Even the X Window System (aka X11) predates the release of MS Windows 1.0 by about a year or so.

The idea is that the window is a window into your application and your "desktop", which isn't really a desktop either, gives you one or multiple windows into one or more applications. Before that, it was still pretty usual to have your entire screen occupied by a single application, like with most DOS applications.

I don't know if it ever was an official Apple slogan, but I somehow remember this one: “Apple, the power to open doors, not just windows."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                        Remember, Win-XP started off as being known as "Xtra Problems" when it kicked out Win98SE. Win7 was one of the few Microsofties that seemed to hit the ground running without too many complaints (all software has issues but Win 7 was on the low side).
                        Very true, but XP settled in quite quickly, unlike Windork 10. I mean literally almost EVERY F'ING time my computer starts or is shut down, there is that stupid "Getting Windows Ready, Don't turn off your computer". WTF? They think my purpose in life is to keep my computer aroused?

The syntax of that message always reminds me of the clip from Hell's Kitchen where the pretty boy comes up to the pass to complain to Gordon and when he doesn't get the answer he wanted, he says "Well that doesn't do much for me." To which Gordon replies "Well you do fuck-all for me." Savage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bandiera Jr View Post

Very true, but XP settled in quite quickly, unlike Windork 10. I mean literally almost EVERY F'ING time my computer starts or is shut down, there is that stupid "Getting Windows Ready, Don't turn off your computer". WTF? They think my purpose in life is to keep my computer aroused?

The syntax of that message always reminds me of the clip from Hell's Kitchen where the pretty boy comes up to the pass to complain to Gordon and when he doesn't get the answer he wanted, he says "Well that doesn't do much for me." To which Gordon replies "Well you do fuck-all for me." Savage.
                          Depends on which version of W10 you have Tony? 10 Pro is the only one where you get to choose when to install the updates.

Comment

You can try this to kill your Wind Blows 10 update if you want to. It has worked for me on version 20H1 and up..

Go to "Component Services". If you have never been there before Wind Blows may have to add that snap in. Then at the left list select Services (Local). open that up and scroll down to "Windows Update". Click the "Stop" button and let it stop. Then from the pull down box select "Disabled" and then click on "Apply". Wind Blows Update should not run even manually at that point. IN order to do an actual manual update you will have to go back in and reset the service to "Automatic" in the drop down box, and then click apply. Reboot the computer and you should be able to update it at your will or let it do it automatically. I only have done mine manually once a quarter, so far... Also note that I am using Win 10 Pro, 64 bit. I don't think this will Console.jpg work with the Home version and possibly not on older 10 Pro versions before 20H1.

Comment

I guess we're all about equally annoyed about the never-ending stream of automatic updates with Windows 10. Disabling the Windows Update service outright may be a bit cumbersome, as you won't be able to use Windows Update to install new updates, even if you've scheduled maintenance for it, at least not without re-enabling the service. While this may the way to roll on backend-systems that aren't exposed to the Internet, any machine either facing the Internet or being used for browsing, should receive regular Windows updates or one day you'll find yourself locked out of your system with some bozo asking a bitcoin or two to get your data back...

I think the Group Policy Method as described in this article is the most useful one, as it allows you to plan updates more conform your own schedule and not when Microsoft thinks they're due.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of bad stuff out there, a lot of zero-day exploits targeting exploits in Windows that have just barely been exposed. You may remember those Microsoft Exchange exploits from a few months back? I know several companies still hosting their own Exchange server that got hit by some hackers, even though they installed those patches just mere hours after Microsoft released them... It's a crazy world out there on the Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X