No announcement yet.

SNMP Trap problems on Wind Blows 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it takes all of 30 seconds to disable or reinable the service once you know how to get to it.. Not a really big deal, nor cumbersome. I'll be doing my updates monthly as I still do with my W-7 machine. The problem is not so much the automatic downloading of the updates but the long delay in shutdown and recurrent boot up while it installs them. Its not as bad on a fast computet, but slower systems can take an ungodly amount of time to complete it. In your article the Group Policy change seems to be the most logical way to go. At least it still allows manual updates to be done...
    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-20-2021, 05:26 AM.

Comment

The problem with disabling Windows Update Services is that:

- There is at least one maintenance task that re-enables the Windows Update Service from time to time. Also, Microsoft seems to have other backchannels to update stuff on your machine that bypass the Windows Update Service. Anything delivered via the "Microsoft App Store" for example, doesn't use the MS Update Service.
      - Re-enabling and disabling the Windows Update Service requires administrative privileges, while you can give "mortal users" the possibility to update systems.
      - The Group Policy method also allows you to have updates downloaded before they're installed. Since those updates are known to be extremely bulky, this can be a huge time-saver, especially for machines not behind a 100MBit+ broadband subscription.
      - With the Group Policy method you can also do unattended updates, but at a time more convenient than purely at Microsoft's digression.

Keep in mind that stuff like Firefox, Chrome and Edge don't give a damn about Windows Update either and just update willy-nilly...

Comment

Why wouldn't you want to update Windows?

Comment

It's not about not updating Windows, it's about having control over the update process.

Windows updates can take a long time and can interfere with productive processes. Also, it wouldn't be the first time a Windows update randomly breaks something that used to work before.

Comment

Exactly! Win10 updates are notorious for breaking things or undoing things that are set (for instance, persistent static routes can be deleted, that are critical to some operations). Depending on the application, the need for reliability exceeds the need for having the latest patch/update. Who owns the computer? Not Microsoft. They should not be able to dictate updates. By the same token, those that refuse updates/security patches should not be able to hold Microsoft liable for preventing them from fixing them. The choice should be the person that owns the computer, however, not the software manufacturer.

I'm I'm sitting down to tune an auditorium, Microsoft should not be able to decide that now is update time (when I tune a room could be any time on the 24-hour clock) and, furthermore, once I'm done, I should not be compelled to "don't turn off your computer."

Comment

Marcel, with the service shut off I don't get any.updates at all. As for Firefox, It takes at best 15 seconds to update. It also asks you before it installs...

Comment

I've been happy enough setting the ethernet connection to "metered." This gives a couple of months of peace, which is enough for me on my Windows desktop machine. I do want to install patches on it, but on my schedule and not someone else's. One of the fundamental problems with Windows' auto-patching scheme is that it assumes that a Windows 10 machine is used only when someone is sitting in front of it and actively working on the console. It also reboots after patching with no simple notification to the user that the reboot was due to a patch and not a hardware failure or some other reason (yes, it is logged, but how many users would actually bother to check?). And the default patch scheme includes "feature updates" that have nothing to do with security and actually change the way in which the operating system functions (and sometimes break things, as noted above).

I have a windows 7 VM that runs the software for my scanner. It works fine and I don't want to touch it. I haven't patched it in years and don't plan to in the future. It does not connect to the Internet.

Different systems have different risk profiles and reliability standards. I'm fine with auto-patching as a default (and it's probably a good thing for Aunt Millie), but the user should be able to disable it easily.

Comment

Here's another thing...Microsoft Edge. Regardless of what one thinks about it, multiple times it has not only reappeared on my desktop (I haven't deleted it but I don't devote desktop space or taskbar space to it). AND it has become my default browser again, multiple times. It's a flippin browser. It should not be able to be forced in that manner nor alter configurations when one might have a preference for another.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                    Here's another thing...Microsoft Edge. Regardless of what one thinks about it, multiple times it has not only reappeared on my desktop (I haven't deleted it but I don't devote desktop space or taskbar space to it). AND it has become my default browser again, multiple times. It's a flippin browser. It should not be able to be forced in that manner nor alter configurations when one might have a preference for another.
                    I had that happen too, but once I set Firefox as my preferred browser and then deleted the desktop Edge icon again, it has stayed away.

Comment

I had assigned a default browser...Microsoft clearly thought I made a mistake and put Edge back as the default. It has happened twice, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                        That and the stupid Cortana....

Mark, I have the Home edition. 1903 has been trying to install as an update for some time and hasn't succeeded yet.

This computer has multiple issues despite using windorks firewall and a robust anti virus program that has never failed me yet. This thing is headed to my local shop for a fix (the guy charges a very reasonable $45-55 for a full clean and update) and if that fails I do have my 9mm lead dispensing device to REALLY fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by John Thomas View Post
                          Why wouldn't you want to update Windows?
                          It's not about not updating Wind Blows 10. It's about taking control away from Micro Sloth as to when it happens. You can even still update Wind Blows 7... But I honestly think updating once a quarter is often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bandiera Jr View Post

That and the stupid Cortana....

Mark, I have the Home edition. 1903 has been trying to install as an update for some time and hasn't succeeded yet.

This computer has multiple issues despite using windorks firewall and a robust anti virus program that has never failed me yet. This thing is headed to my local shop for a fix (the guy charges a very reasonable $45-55 for a full clean and update) and if that fails I do have my 9mm lead dispensing device to REALLY fix the problem.
                            Tony, for $35 you can own a genuine copy of 10 with a COA and install that. If you want to download it and receive the COA by Email then it's 5 bucks cheaper.

https://innovationxtechnology.com/collections/all

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                              Marcel, with the service shut off I don't get any.updates at all. As for Firefox, It takes at best 15 seconds to update. It also asks you before it installs...
                              Yeah, but believe me, there is a service task that will occasionally re-enable it. Those service tasks do regular maintenance, like clearing temporary directories and checking other stuff, one of those tasks re-enables your Windows Updates from time to time.

Also, Microsoft has pushed updates that re-enables those services, even if you install them manually. Some of those updates also do other nasty stuff, like changing your default browser to Edge (like Steve indicated), installing Teams and causing it to automatically start-up every time you log-in, putting the Microsoft Store icon onto your taskbar, etc.

Microsoft has clearly showed their disrespect for their average user if you ask me, by shoving them their stuff through their throats, this includes Edge and Teams, which is like their 3rd or 4th attempt at something like an instant messaging client, just like Edge is their second attempt at a browser...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

Yeah, but believe me, there is a service task that will occasionally re-enable it. Those service tasks do regular maintenance, like clearing temporary directories and checking other stuff, one of those tasks re-enables your Windows Updates from time to time.

Also, Microsoft has pushed updates that re-enables those services, even if you install them manually. Some of those updates also do other nasty stuff, like changing your default browser to Edge (like Steve indicated), installing Teams and causing it to automatically start-up every time you log-in, putting the Microsoft Store icon onto your taskbar, etc.

Microsoft has clearly showed their disrespect for their average user if you ask me, by shoving them their stuff through their throats, this includes Edge and Teams, which is like their 3rd or 4th attempt at something like an instant messaging client, just like Edge is their second attempt at a browser...
                                I haven't had it self start again in going on three months. I am pretty sure once you disable a service that it stays disabled. I would think if some other feature needed it that you would get a pop up warning that it has to be on. I might just turn on if left in manual mode though...

Comment

Working...
                                X