SNMP Trap problems on Wind Blows 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

You just threw it out? You mean you didn't recycle it? Don't let the tree huggers in Idaho find this out. Also, 4 gigs of RAM is not enough for Wind Blows 10. 8 Minimum!! I just configured a brand new TMS for a customer that had a 4 GHZ I-5 processor and 16 gigs of ram. The thing is faster than blue blazes...The theater owners grandson built it.
    Like I said in my post, for what I need this thing for now it works great, far better than the piece of shit it replaced. While I would like a bigger SSD, the memory is not an issue, even when I had file manager open on two VERY large folders shuffling some pics around. This is my basic, email, forum and YouTube viewing laptop and it is ok with such small storage and memory.

I have a desktop DELL that I will be setting up later (after my move) with much better specs for the heavy duty stuff.

And if you saw the condition of my town since the County took over, me tossing a laptop pales in comparison.

Comment

Tony, You can open "Resource Monitor" and you can see in real time exactly how much memory Wind Blows is utilizing at doing different tasks. In cases like yours, the hard drive is probably making up the difference in the lack of memory by caching data....

Comment

The key here often is in the SSD. It's this what allows machines with relatively low memory specs to perform still adequately. Once you hit the physical bounds of your memory, stuff gets swapped out onto your harddrive. When this is a classic hard drive, stuff usually creeps to a halt, but with an SSD, you can still have reasonable performance.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that this will wear out your SSD much sooner. Also, once your SSD becomes loaded with stuff, performance also may grind to a hold. This has to do with how your SSD allocates storage internally. An SSD is pretty fast if it can just write, but if it needs to erase stuff before it can write, it will also grind to a hold, as it has to flash that memory first. If you delete stuff from your harddrive, stuff doesn't get deleted immediately, but the SSD will start to slowly flash that storage marked as empty to "zero" during the times it has nothing else to do. The best way to avoid hitting such a hard limit and have your SSD performance grind to a hold is to always reserve a bit of free space on them.

Comment

Working...
        X