My GDC SA2100 Won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My GDC SA2100 Won't boot

GDC SA2100 SN A07015.jpeg for a couple of days now I haven't been able to fully boot up my server, I have attached below the boot screen the server gets stuck at every time I try a reboot.
    Please anybody with any idea of what is wrong? What should I do?

There's an error on one of the hard drives. I think DSRroot is the one that that contains the operating system, not one of the raid drives that you load your content onto.

As it says on the screen, you need to enter the root password and then run the fsck program to (maybe) fix the problem, or replace the hard drive and re-install the operating system.

I don't think you'll be able to do any of that without support from GDC.

Comment

GDC is suggesting I get a new server instead, I can't afford a new server at the moment.

Comment

boot menu.jpeg

a "Rescue" option is missing from the option, according to GDC, this is because I'm still running the very old 7.83, therefore I can't be helped.
        there has to be another way around this thing?
        A way to fix the OS issue, any ideas?

Comment

GDC is suggesting I get a new server instead, I can't afford a new server at the moment.
          There is an LED gone out on the dashboard of my 2019 Civic Touring Sport. I can't figure out how to get at it to replace it; I called the Honda Dealer Service Center and the tech there is suggesting that I get a new CIvic instead. Thing is, I can't afford a new Honda at the moment. And they can actually make such a suggestion with a straight face!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Angel View Post

There is an LED gone out on the dashboard of my 2019 Civic Touring Sport. I can't figure out how to get at it to replace it; I called the Honda Dealer Service Center and the tech there is suggesting that I get a new CIvic instead. Thing is, I can't afford a new Honda at the moment. And they can actually make such a suggestion with a straight face!
            what's your point?

Comment

You will have to get a new OS drive from GDC, then do all the updates in steps to the current version. The media block will also get updates. I did a booth full of Ver 7.83 all the way to 8.01 Build 273 or there abouts and it killed 5 of the 6 media blocks within a month of doing the updates. I never had that happen on any GDC server before because they all got the updates done in steps over the number of years they were in. I have had just 5 OS drives fail out of 334 GDC servers. So they have been very reliable overall.

Mark

Comment

what's your point?
                Paul -- the point is, it's just my natural sarcasm and my commiserating with you -- mocking a manufacturer for saying the best way to fix a problem, any problem, is to buy a new, every expensive piece of equipment from them (while they laugh all the way to the bank).

Comment

Aren't the version 7 OS pre-DCI spec though? If so then GDC likely would not be permitted to release a replacement drive on that version, even if the plan was to update into version 8 at whatever build. In this case, likely the only option IS a new server and not them trying to extract extra money from a client.

Comment

It is a double hit too. (A) You have to go through all of the pain (financial and otherwise) to resolve your product issue with a replacement and (B) that old stuff goes to pollute the planet and just piles up in a landfill. And, you likely have the issue because someone someplace was just too lazy (or cheap) to design something that would be easily repaired and otherwise last decades (or even forever). Worse that there are so many hands and companies involved in the design that no one person or group feels that they can (or should) stand up and take responsibility. While sarcasm and commiserating may be appropriate, we sure as hell need to get the world out of this mode sooner than later. Hopefully before some virus, asteroid or climate crisis solves it for us. I don't know what the solution is. As Paul points out... it sucks.

Comment

The new drive he gets would be at 8.XX Build 3XX. Every drive I've gotten from them has release one or two versions behind the current one on it. It will still work as long as the media block survives the sudden HUGE jump in Firmware. When the drive is installed just update it to the latest build and it will also update the media block as part of that update. But with all that needs to be done including by GDC, he would have to get his tech there. Also, if this is a dual link server then forget it and buy a new one. An IMB Media block server should be able to continue its life if they can supply him with a new OS drive.

And, you likely have the issue because someone someplace was just too lazy (or cheap) to design something that would be easily repaired and otherwise last decades (or even forever).
                      Something every electronics manufacturer has to unfortunately endure. The industry has been moving away from full size servers to the IMB server now for a good five or more years since the IMS-1000 and SX-3000 came out. Not only is it a landfill / Recycle issue like Bruce mentioned, but it's also a power consumption issue, Full size servers typically draw 300 watts and IMB servers draw 50 watts. Take 16 300 watt servers and do the math vs 16 50 watt servers.

In this guys case GDC was allowing a $1000 credit against a new server if he sent the old one back. He should ssee if that offer is still on. The SR-1000 is a pretty nice product.

I am also wondering what kind of projector this guy has? Manufacturer and Series 1 or Series 2.

Mark

Comment

I can't get the OS drive because I'm on 7.83. That's what GDC said, the OS drive will be of no use to me.
                        Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

Something every electronics manufacturer has to unfortunately endure. The industry has been moving away from full size servers to the IMB server now for a good five or more years since the IMS-1000 and SX-3000 came out. Not only is it a landfill / Recycle issue like Bruce mentioned, but it's also a power consumption issue, Full size servers typically draw 300 watts and IMB servers draw 50 watts. Take 16 300 watt servers and do the math vs 16 50 watt servers.

In this guys case GDC was allowing a $1000 credit against a new server if he sent the old one back. He should ssee if that offer is still on. The SR-1000 is a pretty nice product.

I am also wondering what kind of projector this guy has? Manufacturer and Series 1 or Series 2.

Mark
                        My projector is a Barco DP2K. They said the Sr1000 will work fine with it.

Comment

Yes, You may also need the S-1 to S2 adapter for the SR-1000. Also, the SR-1000 only has a web server to communicate with. So also some sort of permanent management laptop if you don't already have one.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                            Yes, You may also need the S-1 to S2 adapter for the SR-1000. Also, the SR-1000 only has a web server to communicate with. So also some sort of permanent management laptop if you don't already have one.

Mark
                            Thank You, Mark. The adapter won't come with the server? should I go-ahead to get the SR1000

Comment

Not unless you specify it. That's a series1 Barco, so you may need the adapter frame with it so it plugs into that projector. GDC can tell you the exact part numbers and what is actually necessary. Also ask if they are still doing the server trade ins.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X