Need CP 650 Setup Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need CP 650 Setup Software

Can anyone send me or point me to the CP 650 step up software for version 2.3.6.6?

Thanks

Well, I guess it's more or less abandonware right now. I don't think you need the exact setup software for that firmware, but have you checked here?

Comment

That's the version that is on now, figure that's the safest way to go.
      Have you ever used that site? Appears you can't download anything unless you sign up for their super secret download speeder, after you turn off the popup from Mia. I don't think I want my computer downloading from that site, much less my 650

Comment

I have downloaded some legacy stuff in the past, not available via official support channels. It's a bit like the Russian version of the Film-Tech forum, but the site they're hosting their content on seems to have changed to one of those dodgy download sites, probably because it's free.

Anyway, if you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you version 2.3.1.1 of the setup software. I know there is a 2.3.6.6 firmware, but I don't know if there ever was setup software with the same version number, but it should be compatible with your current firmware.

Comment

2.3.6.3 is the current regular version. 2.3.6.6 enables 7.1 audio on CP650s that have the AES input card installed. 2.3.6.6 is not available from dolbycustomer.com; you need to contact them and ask for it. In the past, there used to be a license fee for it. Not sure if this is still the case. Can't hurt to ask them.

Comment

I currently have 2.3.6.6 installed. I don't know what will happen to my settings if I go with 2.3.1.1, which is what I have the setup software for ( I think the .6.6 version was on a now dead laptop).

Comment

2.3.1.1 is the version of the CP650 Windows app that is currently available on dolbycustomer.com (and so I presume is the final version to have been released). 2.3.6.3 and 2.3.6.6 are versions of the firmware that go in the actual CP650.

As there only is that one version of the PC app available for download, and the website doesn't mention needing a special version for use with the 2.3.6.6 firmware, I guess that version 2.3.1.1 of the app is compatible with both versions of the firmware. But if you're in any doubt, I'd suggest asking Dolby.

2.3.1.1 of the app works fine with the 2.3.6.3 firmware - I've used the two together many times.

Comment

2.3.6.6 IS now available for download from DolbyCustomer (Dolby Surround 7.1 CP650 section, the first listed in the download site). Windows app last version is 2.3.1.1 and works with newer firmwares.

Comment

You may already know about it, but if you are to upgrade CP650's software, either use a computer with a serial port or make sure you use a proper USB to Serial adapter.
                  There was a discussion about USB to Serial adapters in the old forum. Dave Macaulay mentions a Dolby suggestion there:
                  http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f5/t002796.html
                  I only saw once a bricked CP650 due to upgrade, but once is one more than necessary to convince me to be cautious.

Comment

When you install the 7.1 version be aware that the surround output now comes from the "Option Card I/O" and the surround outputs on the Main Audio Output are no longer used. You need to rewire the surround amps to the other DB25. And if you use the digital inputs - also on that connector - this gets pretty challenging. Dargco (formerly Odyssey) does have adapter boards that make this much easier.

Comment

It isn't the 7.1 version of the software that triggers the rewire of the surrounds. It is the use of the Option I/O board(s) Either the CAT790, CAT794, CAT791 or even the CAT778 (AES output) that requires the the rewire.

Comment

Originally posted by Elia Orselli
                        2.3.6.6 IS now available for download from DolbyCustomer (Dolby Surround 7.1 CP650 section, the first listed in the download site).
                        It's not offering that to me:

CP650_downloads.JPG

Comment

It's in a different document section:
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I suspect that if you've ever purchased the 7.1 firmware since the current Dolby.Customer site has been set up, then you'd permanently have access to that section...just like the other access links.

Comment

Yup - it's there in that other section - thanks Elia. I guess they decided that the 650 is now so EOL that they might as well give the firmware away to anyone who wants it, because very few theater operators will be relying on a 650 for a revenue-earning operation anymore. The only ones I now look after are either used solely for 35mm audio, in private screening rooms, or part-time nonprofit venues. I have nowhere left that uses one to play feature DCPs to a paying audience for 12 hours a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X