Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEC 900C Questions

Hi all,

I'm having two issues that I was hoping some of you wise people could hep me with -

1. These NEC 900 c projectors are a bit underpowered for my theater - but they came with the theater and I can't afford to replace them anytime soon. That being said, I'm still trying to make the presentation as good as it can be. One issue i'm having is brightness. While some are better than others, all my screens look dim. I noticed most of my projectors are set with a brightness level of 87-92%. I have tried upping those levels to 100% (following procedure in the manual) but it doesn't seem to make any difference and the settings always revert back to what they were within a showing or two. I projected a "white" test dcp and adjusted from the lowest setting of 75% to 100% and could see no difference ....any ideas on this ?

2. The manual says that I can log into the projectors via web and ip addresses, (locally) but when I try it asks for a password and the manual does not mention any passwords, default or otherwise. Anybody know if there is a default on these ?

Thanks !!

You want the NEC DCCS projector setup/control program if you don't have it. And yes, there are passwords. I don't know that you can change them - and if you can, doing that is unusual in Cinema systems... although I have seen them changed by dealers trying to lock in clients, or where a staff member likes to "experiment".
    Forum policy forbids posting passwords.
    PM me and I can get you a link to the software and give you the password needed to enter service mode. Note that you can easily (and badly) screw up the projector by "experimenting" in service mode.
    Important: use genuine NEC bulbs. The cheaper white box ones are dimmer, don't last long, and tend to blow up (and fry the ballast board when they do). Just pay the extra for genuine lamps.
    With DCCS you can adjust the lamp power and I haven't seen it change afterwards. Since I use DCCS, I've never tried doing it through the projector panel menu. I don't know of a webGUI for the NC900.

Comment

It is indeed the web gui interface that i'm trying to use. The manual seems to indicate that there should not even be a login password required ...so thats annoying. We have issues where dowsers dont always open for some reason (random) it'd be nice to be able to simply log in from my computer and open the dowser immediately rather that have to run up stairs and across the booth to manually do it.

And I am using genuine NEC bulbs - another person on the forum messaged me and said that the flat and scope macros probably have the brightness levels programmed in so that even when i manually change it, every time the macro runs, it resets it.
      Now I'll need to investigate those macros, which seems complicated .....

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay
        Important: use genuine NEC bulbs. The cheaper white box ones are dimmer, don't last long, and tend to blow up (and fry the ballast board when they do). Just pay the extra for genuine lamps.
        Also, when ordering bulbs, specify that you want NEC part no. NP-9LP06, and that NP-9LP01 or NP-9LP02 are not acceptable. The 01 and 02 bulbs had a design flaw whereby they would fail to a short when they blew, thereby taking out the ballast along with the bulb. The ballast is not a cheap part, and once you add in the labor, travel, etc. for a tech to swap it out, you're heading into four-figure territory. The 06 bulb is a revised design that will not blow the ballast by "sympathetic detonation" if the bulb goes.

Some dealers may have "new, old stock" of the 01 and 02 bulbs, and I've also seen them on Ebay. It is important to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post
          PM me and I can get you a link to the software and give you the password needed to enter service mode.
          Just curious...a manufacturer takes the effort to restrict their control program to those that they have issued proper access. They, furthermore, have a password that they also don't publish. But you feel is is okay/proper to take it upon yourself to dispense both? Based on? I can understand the desire to help but isn't that the manufacturer's decision to make as to whom how such information is to be made available?

Comment

The manual says that I can log into the projectors via web and ip addresses, (locally) but when I try it asks for a password and the manual does not mention any passwords, default or otherwise. Anybody know if there is a default on these ?
            Before you can be issued passwords you need to attend a training class for the repair of NEC projectors, either at NEC, Strong, or MIT. Since you can actually damage the projector by instituting the wrong settings, it is wise to know what you are doing. Also note that NEC specifies their attainable light levels with a gain screen. And it sounds like you don't have gain screens. So, since screens are cheaper than a projector you may want to consider replacing one of your screens with NEC's recommended gain screen and go form there. I installed about 35 of the NC-900's some years ago now and if used within their limitations they are generally fine. Because of it's low price, the NC-900 projector saved lots of cinemas from closing permanently as it was the first small, inexpensive projector on the market at the time...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

Before you can be issued passwords you need to attend a training class for the repair of NEC projectors, either at NEC, Strong, or MIT. Since you can actually damage the projector by instituting the wrong settings, it is wise to know what you are doing. Also note that NEC specifies their attainable light levels with a gain screen. And it sounds like you don't have gain screens. So, since screens are cheaper than a projector you may want to consider replacing one of your screens with NEC's recommended gain screen and go form there. I installed about 35 of the NC-900's some years ago now and if used within their limitations they are generally fine. Because of it's low price, the NC-900 projector saved lots of cinemas from closing permanently as it was the first small, inexpensive projector on the market at the time...
              ------

I appreciate that some things are restricted from the casual user - personally I believe that as the owner of the equipment I should be able to do as I please including breaking it unintentionally (and suffering the consequences if I did) However .... that is not what I am asking here. Per the manual I should be able to do this without a password. It is in the manual because it is a function I should be able to utilize - I do not need to attend any classes for what I am asking. Accessing the projector through the ip address is also how you can get the dcc software for your projector. (again - in the manual as something everybody should be able to do)

As to the brightness issues my screens have nothing to do with it ...as I had said originally all are the same, yet some look dim compared to others. Others have given recommendations on what settings are causing this.

Thanks

Comment

Changing the lamp power requires the service password to place the projector in "Service Mode" because the different power settings have to be saved using the DCC program. Can also be done through the side display but it is a lot trickier to do. To do light settings correctly you also need a calibrated screen brightness meter that reads in footlamberts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                  Changing the lamp power requires the service password to place the projector in "Service Mode" because the different power settings have to be saved using the DCC program. Can also be done through the side display but it is a lot trickier to do. To do light settings correctly you also need a calibrated screen brightness meter that reads in footlamberts.
                  The brightness and ip login are two separate issues.
                  I needed the ip login because of dowser issues where they often like to not open - being able to access that from my office instead of running up to the booth to press the dowser button is just easier.
                  Its been resolved anyway - I found a copy of the dcc software on my tms and copied it to my laptop.

The brightness issues will take some more time

Comment

It's not so easy to get through DCC S2, although there is a PDF manual for DCC S2 available. Even if you're short of money, I would suggest you get a tech in to get things straightened out. Adjusting the bulb current may not be sufficient, you may indeed need to install some gain screens. Can you tell us your screen sizes? How many hours do your bulbs have on the counter?

The web interface of the NC900 offers a minimal subset of projector related functions - If I remember right, dowser open/close is one of them. Haven't been there for a while.

- Carsten

Comment

You may also be having issues with the intigrator rod as I have heard of them failing and coming apart. Also there is also the option of removing the yellow notch filter but that makes your colour space non DCI compliant

Comment

You can change the lamp current without being logged on as an advanced or service user, but you can't save the new setting to a lamp settings file; so as soon as a new macro/preset button is activated, it will go back to what it was.

I think everyone has made valid points about the passwords/service codes. Personally I wouldn't want to give them out to someone I don't know, and my suggestion would be for Armand to ask NEC for them (and a copy of the DCC installer file) directly. If one of my customers asked for a code or password that would enable accidental damage to be caused through lack of knowledge, my approach would be to explore with them why they wanted it, make them aware of the risks, and give it to them only if they indicate understanding that we cannot be responsible if they get themselves into any hot water with it.

Comment

Just because one owns a projector (or any product) that does not entitle them to service codes or software. You may own your automobile but you don't have the factory service software for it to tune it up, though you may feel entitled. Software is copyrighted. As such, the copyright holder can decide who may or may not have it.

Comment

I think car tuning is a bit different from setting up a projector in a cinema environment. The equivalent in 35mm days wpuld be to not receive maintenance manuals, types of lubricants, etc.

When we bought our equipment, we put it in the contract that we would receive a full set of setup/maintenance manuals and all passwords to perform setup and maintenance ourselves, or have someone else capable do it for us. Otherwise, no deal.

I recently got a call by someone who had to clear a service door tamper after his projector had been transported to his new remote location. The dealer would refuse to give the NEC technician PIN, but would insist to sent a tech out a few hundred km to clear the error - but only after the weekend, and, of course, not for free.

Well, he did get that PIN by someone else, and had the error cleared in no time.

- Carsten

Comment

Carsten, it is no different. Look no further than Kinoton. They didn't publish their service manuals nor their service software. As for your requirement to be provided with all manuals/software for your Digital Cinema gear or no deal...you can certainly put that requirement in but it is up to the manufacturer to decide if the terms are agreeable...that isn't a dealer decision. In fact, the NEC manuals have a "Confidential" statement across them. Barco just wants one to pony up at the training centers...they don't care if you are a dealer or a theatre. I'd say a significant flaw in the NEC plan is that one does indeed get put into the situation of having to issue a service code to clear a simple tamper error.

Remember too, depending on the manufacturer and their policies, dealers or other service personnel may have had to sign NDAs that would preclude divulging of the information. Again, the source of the complaint should go back to the manufacturer...they are the ones that ultimately control their information/copyright.

Comment

Working...
                              X