Batman Light Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Dent View Post

However... One thing pretty much all professional commercial music mixers do is spot their mix on a number of different playback systems (including crappy bookshelf speakers and iPhones). Do they do that in film mixing?
    probably not and I don’t think they should do that.
    if they dialled down their mix because cinema XYZ can’t make the level/dynamic/frequency response, that would lower the bar even more and cinemas would find more ways to save money.

in the home environment a Flat TV is what you get and will always get so in that case it does make sense to me - even though I’d love to see an untouched ‘theatrical’ track on blu rays.

that said, Steve, I’m told by those who do those home mixes that the target is indeed a high end system.

Comment

I'm not saying they should mix specifically for the more common theatrical environments, but they should certainly have an awareness of how it translates. If your mix is loud but relatively pleasing in a state of the art mix facility but sounds ice pick loud and shitty where most people are going to hear it, then maybe you should swallow your ego and back the volume off a bit. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

If I were mixing movies, I’d definitely at least consider the ‘real world’.

something like ‘this passage is so demanding that in most cinemas it will clip everything, will sound crap and will likely cause complaints - But it sounds super amazing in a proper cinema. Shall we keep it or not?’

I would probably keep it. It will likely sound great in that small bunch of cinemas around the planet and hopefully that better quality will be noticed and become required over time.

yes I know, im a dreamer.

Comment

BatmanDarker.jpg

Comment

Loud sound and no picture. Welcome to radio!

Comment

Uh oh, looks like our fifteen year old bulb finally went out....

Comment

I love the batman movie for one thing, the movie help a lot of cinema goers know the cinemas that are properly installed

Comment

Faders exist for a reason... anyone telling another projectionist how to set their fader without having set foot in that particular auditorium is a bit over their skis.

Comment

Working...
                  X