New Server Barco vs GDC vs Dolby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server Barco vs GDC vs Dolby

We're going to add our second screen, small screening room. We're going with a Barco SP2k-7 and we need to decide between the Barco icmp-x, Dolby IMS3000, or GDC SR-1000.

We have an SR-1000 in our Nc1200c now and we like it. Pricing is very close between the GDC and Dolby servers. Both are quoted with 3x1 TB drives for a usable 1.8TB with raid 5.

I don't mind learning how to use both Dolby and GDC but there's a case for sticking with GDC since we already have one and know how to run it. Extended warranty is more costly with GDC like $500/yr vs $150/yr. The 5 year TCO for both is only $100 difference with extended warranty.

Good vs bad for these 3 servers options?

Let's see...

We have an SR-1000...and we like it
    Pricing is very close between the GDC and Dolby servers
    So, why are we having this discussion?

Generally speaking, there are only a few decent reasons to switch around companies on such products.
    • Price (you list no good reason there)
    • Features.
    • Satisfaction (you list that you are happy with the GDC).
    So, you are really left with features...is there something that the SR1000 doesn't do that you think that one of the others might?

I and others could come up with lists of things we like/don't like but we're not you.

As a service entity, I do try to keep a degree of uniformity under 1-roof, if possible (not to the extent of sacrificing performance). Note, on the SR1000...you can use its 2TB Cache storage as THE storage too...which eliminates the external storage and saves a few $$$. I tend to use the Enterprise storage with my GDCs and have found that my clients "best fit" is 4TB of storage, in most cases (good balance of having enough storage and to not constantly deleting stuff.)

Comment

Our Theatre tech mentioned the 2TB cinecache isn't replaceable so if it fails, we need to buy a new server instead of just replacing drives or the portable storage unit. Is that accurate?

I also thought cinecache cost more than the 2TB portable storage. We don't need any more storage than that.

Comment

Our server (GDC SX3000 is about to hit end-of-life this year and they aren't going to be doing any warranty extensions, so we are thinking about moving to an SR1000. Our experience with GDC has been very positive, if that helps any. They're responsive and helpful when there are issues, but there have been very few issues. The biggest problem we've had is failing hard drives, but at least it's a very easy fix.

Comment

You say that pricing is very close between GDC and Dolby, but is the ICMP-X a significantly cheaper option? It usually is when bundled with a Barco projector.

If that's the case, then my default position if asked for advice is to go from the starting point of looking for any powerful arguments not to go with the ICMP-X. I can think of only two significant ones:
          • Cert batteries and warranty. AFAIK, Barco/Cinionic does not offer a one-time recertification service for units that are out of warranty, and the battery is not rechargeable. You therefore have to stay on top of battery swapouts, and if a replacement fails after the warranty has expired, you're looking at having to buy a new ICMP. GDC and Dolby do offer one-time recertification for models that they still support, and the IMS3000 has a rechargeable battery.
          • Storage. Barco does not offer a higher capacity option than a 3 x 2TB RAID. GDC and Dolby both offer external RAID boxes that will give you a lot more local storage. But if you don't need more than 2TB, that isn't a factor in your decision.
          There may be specific factors to your installation (e.g. your TMS doesn't support some models of SMS) as well.

IMHO, the ICMP-X has the superior HDMI handling ability when compared to the IMS3000 and SR-1000, which may be a factor if you plan on playing a significant amount of alternative content. Another advantage is that software/firmware updates would not have to be done separately: the ICMP-X updates are bundled with the projector updates in one large file. Upload that, reboot, and you've updated everything.

Comment

Brightstar is our local service company and they have only installed one ICMP, not even an ICMP-X yet. Their go-to is the Dolby and they've done plenty of GDC.

I will get a price on the ICMP-X with the new projector to see if there's any significant savings over the other two.

Comment

We do have an ICMP, and we like it, especially in a BARCO projector where it offers some clear integration benefits over 'alien' IMS and great alternative content features.

However, if you already use an SR-1000, just stay with GDC.

Comment

If one is getting an S4, the HDMI inputs come along with the ICP-D so the ICMP-X only adds audio integration in there. The failure rate of the ICMP is too high for me. I only use them when the projector is primarily an A/V projector that runs DCP instead of vice-versa. It has too many quirks too. The fact that it won't start a DCP unless the projector is already selected on a DCP format (except the special pattern clip which better switch the input of the projector) is just plain silly. I have not found the IMS to have HDMI issues. The GDC needing to run an HDMI show to switch to HDMI is awkward and makes A/V integration more difficult.

As I said, we can all have our own likes/dislikes. All servers listed will show movies and the customers will be none-the-wiser as to which one you are using.

Comment

Good point about the ICP-D giving you the HDMI benefits of the ICMP.

The only ICMP failures I've had to deal with have been when the end user has let the certificate battery discharge. Usually this is because they weren't told by the original installer that this was a critical maintenance item. For this reason, I always put a printed label on every ICMP I install, saying something like "Battery replacement due by March 30, 2025," and we are now starting to get calls from customers from installs 3-4 years ago following up on that label. But still, Barco/Cinionic's policy of only recertificating units covered by an active warranty is, IMHO, one of the ICMP's few drawbacks.

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
                  ...we like it, especially in a BARCO projector...
                  My understanding is that you can't use it in any other projector. I've often wondered if Barco will ever make an ICMP variant that would work in a NEC or a Christie. It seems strange to sink that R & D investment into a product that can only reach a third of its potential market.

Comment

I think Tom Bert once mentioned that Barco was open to support other projector brands, but the demand or support from these manufacturers was small.

What I meant was, if you have a Barco projector, using an ICMP/-X is the better experience, as it integrates much better with the projector than other IMS, naturally. If you do plain DCP business most of the time, that aspect is not so important.
                    Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 03-31-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                      Our server (GDC SX3000 is about to hit end-of-life this year and they aren't going to be doing any warranty extensions, so we are thinking about moving to an SR1000. Our experience with GDC has been very positive, if that helps any. They're responsive and helpful when there are issues, but there have been very few issues. The biggest problem we've had is failing hard drives, but at least it's a very easy fix.
                      If you can do with 2 TB of solid state local storage, then the SR-1000 is your best route. Dolby only offers traditional mechanical hard drives on the local. However, even with only 2TB of local storage you can put together an inexpensive TMS system and store movies on the TMS and move them into the local storage as needed. And the best part is the GDC TMS software is inexpensive, and the software only requires re-licensing every two years. It will also allow you to have access to your booth equipment from any place there is internet if you desire to do that. One customer of mine in Nevada took frequent ocean cruises. He sets up the entire weeks line up on two screens while floating around the Caribbean. He has DCDC, so he can even load the feature in remotely as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
                        Good point about the ICP-D giving you the HDMI benefits of the ICMP.

The only ICMP failures I've had to deal with have been when the end user has let the certificate battery discharge. Usually this is because they weren't told by the original installer that this was a critical maintenance item. For this reason, I always put a printed label on every ICMP I install, saying something like "Battery replacement due by March 30, 2025," and we are now starting to get calls from customers from installs 3-4 years ago following up on that label. But still, Barco/Cinionic's policy of only recertificating units covered by an active warranty is, IMHO, one of the ICMP's few drawbacks.

My understanding is that you can't use it in any other projector. I've often wondered if Barco will ever make an ICMP variant that would work in a NEC or a Christie. It seems strange to sink that R & D investment into a product that can only reach a third of its potential market.
                        I had that happen to a couple of the very first SX-3000's I installed. At that point GDC in Los Angeles didn't even know about the certificate batteries, or at least they were not aware of how critical they are. .... The second one failed at 3 years and 10 days! Before I could even get to the thing....

Comment

[QUOTE=Darin Steffl; We have an SR-1000 in our Nc1200c now and we like it. Pricing is very close between the GDC and Dolby servers. Both are quoted with 3x1 TB drives for a usable 1.8TB with raid 5.[/QUOTE]

I just caught your comment on the SR-1000 using thee dives. Actually, it doesn't use any drives at all, but the SX-3000 comes with three rives if you get it with the PDP-1000 storage box. The SR-1000 uses onboard cache memory instead which is way more reliable than mechanical hard dives are. Both servers offer ~ 2 TB of storage.

As far as the warranty extension costs go, you get what you pay for there. GDC Tech support has always been available 24/7 around here. I always got the answering machine at Dolby after hours, although sometimes an email did get through.

Comment

Darin, Note that the SR-1000 does not use hard drives. It uses on board cache memory to store up to 2 tb of content. Only if you buy the external server for it for do hard drives enter into the equation. And those are expensive. You can have a nice TMS for way less money that also does a lot more. It can connect to both screens, and it allows you to make up shows and control the theater from anywhere there is internet available.

Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 03-31-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Not all SR-1000 have the 2 TB cinecache. It's an option. Ours does not have it. We have the portable storage which has 4 drive bays and ours was populated with 3X1TB drives. The portable storage device is a separate unit that connects via esata and has its own power supply.

We were told to avoid the cinecache version because if it fails and we're out of warranty, we need a whole new server instead of just a replacement storage device.

Comment

Working...
                              X