Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BARCO DP2K-15C won´t turn on IMB, ICP,Fan Controller, Barco controller

Good morning guys.
    Im having a nightmare with one of my Barco projectors that don´t turn on anithing in the card cage.

I checked that it has Voltaje in the main switch and i can see that the LPS recieve power because they turn the LEDs but nothing on the IMB,ICP, fan controller and barco controller.

Has anyone had this problem ever?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Moreno

Nope. Have you checked the SMPS at the bottom of the card cage (below the Cinema Controller)? Note, too, there is a fuse in the main switch (presuming you are not using a UPS) where the fuse holder itself can fail (the plastic breaks), if that happens, the 220V doesn't make it to the SMPS. If that isn't it, then the SMPS itself can fail as well. It has a fuse but I've never found that changing it solves anything.

Comment

I have encountered this problem, and furthermore with the exact same model.

Symptoms were as follows:
      1. Both lamp power supplies have the orange LVPS OK light illuminated when the projector is powered
      2. Confirmed that 230V is going into the projector, and to the SMPS mains input
      3. When the power switch is turned on, the fan control board 12V and 24V LEDs come on; same on the SMPS itself
      4. CCB, Enigma board, ICP, and button panel are completely dead. No lights at all.
      We initially suspected the SMPS, and Cinionic agreed with me. We replaced the SMPS, but that didn't fix it. By trial and error, I then found that if the CCB is pulled out, the ICP would then boot up as per normal (as in, the sequence of flashing lights is what you'd expect to see).

I worked it with Cinionic again. They told me that they'd seen similar symptoms before, and it was a bad fan. They suggested disconnecting each of the fans individually in turn and trying to boot the projector, until I found the bad one. I was a bit surprised, because my gut feeling was that the CCB had gone bad at that point.

I never got as far as doing that, because the end user decided to upgrade the projector to an SP4K, rather than sink potentially limitless parts and labor money into troubleshooting an 11-year old projector. They had us haul away the 15C after installing the SP4K, so we took the 15C to the shop for parting out.

At the shop, I tried its CCB in another used Barco we had in our test room. Exactly the same behavior. Swapped its CCB into the suspect machine, and it booted. The fault moved with the CCB.

So, in my case, it was a bad CCB. The bugger is that this is a seriously pricey part. Do you have access to another Series 2 Barco that you can try swapping the CCB from? Disclaimer: there is a small element of risk in diagnosing faults by swapping parts around between projectors, because the failure mode of a part may cause damage to other parts that it's connected to. Do this at your own risk.

Comment

Check the mains input of the SMPS if there's input voltage if yes, check the outputs voltage from the board if there's no output voltage please replace the SMPS
        (always check the fuses on the board to be sure they are good0, If fault still there then check the controller board

Comment

There is an LED (green) on the bottom side of the SMPS (have to remove the metal cover to see it. If that LED is lit, the input to the SMPS is hot. Since the CCB tells the SMPS to supply power, it can always cause such issues. Note too, in two projectors in the last year, I had a CCB give a false Enigma communication problem. Reseating the CCB fixed both. If there was a fan causing an issue, Pulling the Fan Controller would quickly rule that out though the Fan Controller is also a power-distributor, of sorts.

Comment

From my earlier post:

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
            ...I then found that if the CCB is pulled out, the ICP would then boot up as per normal (as in, the sequence of flashing lights is what you'd expect to see).
            Steve writes:

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
            Since the CCB tells the SMPS to supply power...
            I didn't know that, and, furthermore, neither the training school nor the service manual tells you that:

CCB.JPG

I was under the impression that the SMPS simply supplied power to all the low voltage components constantly, and that for components that aren't on all the time (e.g. the coolant pump and some of the lamp-related fans), the CCB operated relays or switches (hence "controls lamp power supply" above). But if that switching is actually done on the SMPS in response to commands from the CCB, that would explain, combined with "controls and monitors status lights" above, why the failure mode of the CCB I encountered caused all the card cage status lights to go out except those on the SMPS and FCB, and why none of the fans started up when the power switch was flipped.

It would also explain why the ICP received power and booted when the CCB was physically pulled from the card cage. Presumably the default mode of the SMPS is to supply power unless the CCB is telling it not to, and in this case the CCB had failed into a condition that was commanding the SMPS to power off the other cards in the cage.

If all this is right, then pulling the CCB and seeing if the ICP lights up should be a pretty strong indication that Miguel's fault is (ICP lights up) or isn't (it doesn't) a bad CCB.

Comment

The Cinema Controller controls EVERYTHING. When one does an upgrade and you see the projector reboot itself...right down to the fans, it is the cinema controller that does that. Here is the signal diagram and note what EVERYTHING originates from. From there the CCB controls the Fan Controller, which distributes low-voltage power to the rest of the projector. The CCB can ruin the functionality of most any other part of the projector because it is on all of those control busses.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You will laugh a lot, the problem was the main fuse. Now what I can't do is remove the fuse from the socket

Comment

Laughing with you, not at you. These case reports (specifically, weird ass failure modes) are very, very, valuable information to have in the field. Under the stress of trying to help a customer with a screen down, we've all missed the obvious.

Has overheating caused the fuse cartridge to weld itself into its holder? If so, that overheating was caused by something. Is there a surge protector on the card cage power supply input?

Comment

Working...
                  X