Dolby CP650 device won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
    ... You can also see the nasty glue used to keep the caps from moving around during shipment...
    Use a heat gun and an Exacto knife to get it off. (I'm sure you already know that.)

If they used silicone, the heat will help loosen it a little bit. If it's hard epoxy, temperatures above about 65 deg. C. will make it loose structural strength and you can chip it away, little by little.

That's how we rework parts at my job.

Just keep the temperature of the heat gun low. Probably no more than 350-400 deg. F. And be careful not to melt anything made of plastic or heat sensitive. Use the heat gun in short bursts until the glue starts to soften. Hard epoxy will turn the consistency of hard cheese.

Comment

Randy, Not really sure what it is, it's not hard epoxy, nor soft glue... I just cut around the base of of a cap if it won't let go easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Barnes View Post
        Button gone bad...soft.... I have had that happen.
        I've had a 'dead button' once here too. I only switch on the '650 several times a week for 35mm &
        70mm shows, and one night shortly before show-time I went to turn it on & nothing happened. There
        was something about the power button that didn't feel right. I tried pushing it multiple times and it would
        "almost" turn on. In desperation, I started toggling the sh_t out of it, and it finally clicked and caught in
        the "ON" position. Fortunately, I had access to several old 650's, (and one at home) so I was able to
        pull the power switch off of one of the old units and swap it into my rack unit. Until I did that however,
        I was afraid to use the old power switch, so I turned it on & off by unplugging it in the rack.

The Power Switch Is Fairly Easy To Get To And Replace
        CP650_Switch.jpg

Although, since with the switch broken, the '650 was stuck in the 'bypass' mode, I suppose
        I might have been able to run my 35mm show that night in the 'bypass' mode since it was an
        older print, with a mono track, so I might have been able to get away minimal processing.

Comment

... Not really sure what it is, it's not hard epoxy, nor soft glue...
          Clear & translucent? Kinda' hard, kinda' rubbery? It's probably Arathane.
          A two-part epoxy-like material but made of polyurethane.

You mix it in a disposable dish, degas in a vacuum chamber then put into a syringe barrel and apply through a needle using an air powered potting dispenser.

Once cured, the stuff is supposed to be impenetrable. Great for keeping stuff together. PITA for getting stuff apart.

Comment

You mix it in a disposable dish, degas in a vacuum chamber then put into a syringe barrel and apply through a needle using an air powered potting dispenser.

Once cured, the stuff is supposed to be impenetrable. Great for keeping stuff together. PITA for getting stuff apart.

Comment

Comment

Is it normal for the LCD screen to be like this?
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Serhat Gok View Post
                  No! It will look like that when you first turn it on while it starts booting up.
                  Assuming all your power supply voltages are correct, the next thing I would do is start re-seating
                  connectors and circuit boards, as someone suggested a few posts back. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post

That kind of sounds like it Randy. The other white stuff seemed like it was just silicone.

Comment

Originally posted by Serhat Gok View Post
                      Like Jim indicated, this is the first indication when you power-on the device. If it doesn't go away, it's a clear indication it's not even reaching the boot-loader. While the mainboard may be the issue, most likely cause, like indicated, is a faulty power supply.

Depending on your budget, I've found it more worthwhile to replace the entire unit, as power supplies are harder to come by than the entire unit those days...

I hope you do have a recent backup of your settings.

Comment

Assuming power supply is OK, I'm thinking flash memory. They do occasionally go bad. Regal had this issue for sure. Relatively inexpensive part. Small enough to be mailed. Don't recall a procedure to test it except by substitution.

Comment

power supply is good

Comment

cp650 will fix if software is installed?

Comment

The fact that you say your power supply seems to working is a good sign.
                              The next thing, if you haven't tried it already, is to start re-seating all the
                              circuit boards & cables. I've had one CP-6450 'freeze' like the one in your
                              photo, and all it turned out to be was a poor connection in the ribbon cable
                              that connects that front panel with the buttons LCD display on it with the
                              main circuit board. Once I re-sat that connector the CP-650 started working
                              again. That was several years ago and it's been working OK since then.
                              Someone else will have to answer your question about the software, since
                              I've never had to deal with that problem. Good Luck!

Comment

I would certainly do the flash memory next. If you have a 650 you can borrow parts from it and would be the logical move. I can send you flash in the mail if there is not one closer to you. PM me for a price.

Comment

Working...
                                X