"Nope" - flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Dent View Post

The movie was shot in 65mm so 1.43 and 1.9 are IMAX formats. Otherwise called 'true IMAX' and 'lieMAX' by some.
    Ah, so that/those versions are shown at theaters with "lieMAX capabilities" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sara Meyers View Post
      Ah, so that/those versions are shown at theaters with "lieMAX capabilities" ?
      About 45 minutes were filmed with IMAX film cameras and the rest was standard 65mm. In a digital IMAX cinema with a 1.90 screen, the IMAX scenes are cropped vertically to 1.90. In a legacy IMAX theater with laser projectors the full 1.43 IMAX image is shown for those scenes. In both cases, the rest of the movie is 2.20.

Comment

I made the comparison last night - you were right, there is a difference, though slight.
        Remind me to set up a new mackerel.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Yeah, the pictures tell the story...so to speak. One reason you probably didn't notice it so much is that your image is significantly inset to your masking, which, given the masking's "unique" shape, is probably a good idea. Also, the NEC S2K projectors (e.g. NC900) have a horrible accuracy when it comes to repeat lens settings (hitting the same mark). If your Scope image hit the side masking precisely, then while running an F-220, you'd have seen a gap between the image and the side masking. However, as your system is set, currently, you'd have to judge if the gap is slightly more or less.

Another variable in this is if your lens moves at all. Since you have a top-drop upper masking for Scope (centerline of the picture shifts down), one method of accomplishing this is to shift the image in the imager using the ICP (move the image down 221 pixels for 2K). The advantage here is that the lens never has to move (so, lens accuracy, or lack thereof, is negated...focus is stable). Typically, when this is done, the sides of the scope image are cropped down to 1998 (2K) to avoid zooming the lens as well. This would affect your perception of the picture.

I'm not sure creating another macro/preset is going to buy you much from just running it in your normal "Flat" preset. Your masking, likely, doesn't have an intermediate stop for the separate format. So, you'd either have the image biased towards the bottom with a large gap at the top or you'd be back to cropping some of the height like with "Scope." Since you have/use masking, probably running it "Scope" is your best option.

Comment

Very important to bring auditorium lights up a bit to see 'the full picture'.

Comment

I've been waaaay too busy running film & live events to sit down & watch "NOPE" yet,so I have a question:
              ☞ In the standard "flat-ish" DCP version currently running in theaters, does the aspect ratio remain the
              same for the entire movie; or does it sometimes change?
              Specifically, what I'm interested in is if at any
              point it gets vertically "taller", such as during the scenes that were shot (i'm told) in IMAX™
              ?

Comment

Since the CPL is flagged F-220, it should only be allowed to become narrower, but not taller in the non-IMAX DCPs.

The german distributor just released a letter to exhibitors, explicitly mentioning F-220 as the aspect ratio, even referring to TENET having been the last renown feature in that format. They also recommend calling a tech to create suitable projector presets in order to play it best. They also announce that a framing chart will be delivered with the DCP.
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 07-27-2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                  They also announce that a framing chart will be delivered with the DCP.
                  I got my copy of NOPE via satellite, so there was no framing chart. I stopped in to visit a friend at
                  another theater today & took a look at their DCP hard drive, and it doesn't appear that US distribution
                  included a framing chart. (Not that I don't probably already have one around on one of my servers somewhere)
                  Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-27-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                    I've been waaaay too busy running film & live events to sit down & watch "NOPE" yet,so I have a question:
                    ☞ In the standard "flat-ish" DCP version currently running in theaters, does the aspect ratio remain the
                    same for the entire movie; or does it sometimes change?
                    Specifically, what I'm interested in is if at any
                    point it gets vertically "taller", such as during the scenes that were shot (i'm told) in IMAX™
                    ?
                    I'm not going to say "Nope", so...no. The shifting aspect ratios are exclusive to the IMAX versions.

Comment

My DCP drive only contained film and trailers as well. after approximating with a paused still from Nope, I ended up making a 2.20:1 framing chart using DCPomatic and the chart for Dunkirk (a big enough jpg found online that is the correct 1.85/2.20 pixel ratio). It's definitely homemade, but the 1.85 frame matches up perfectly with my screen's 1.85, so I presume the 2.20 to be accurate as well. If you want to try your luck with it- or tell me if it's faulty haha, message me and I can email it to you.

Or, if you have a legit DCP of one let me know please!
                      Last edited by Sara Meyers; 07-28-2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Watched 'NOPE' in IMAX® this past Saturday at the Cinemark Century Theatre Daly City CA. The film shot mostly in 65mm IMAX® looked crisp and sharp with the images changing different sizes often full screen and mid high scope size. Enjoyed seeing this new movie with a great split surround mix at this remodeled Century Cinemark Theatre.

So shocked they even have flowers in the men's room near the counter sink mirrors, assume the women's bathroom has them also.

Universal is so money hungry to make more money on these old classic films we watched trailers for the first time before 'NOPE' ran re lease in IMAX® of JAWS & ET coming soon. Looked very grainy from old 35mm prints blown up. While the split stereo sound may be better I don't think the public is going to go see these tired old movies and pay more to see in IMAX® The new lettering looks sharp but you can't do much for old film stock blown up.

Check out 'NOPE' in IMAX® If you can . We have no IMAX® screens in the Santa Cruz CA area too bad we had to travel up to Daly City near SF to watch It in this format. Time for the Syufy Westwind gang to put the first big IMAX® screen in their downtown Cinema 9 in theatre #4.the largest auditorium. Rip out the ceiling and go up. Bring some seats back in that Regal took out for the too big recliners.

If some new movie theatre builder wants to make big money come down to the next town over in Watsonville CA. Only one small old lame multiplex in town. The only game in town. Bring in for the fist time IMAX® 4DX® & SCREEN X ® & DOLBY ATMOS® you will do a big business with all the new movie treats.

I like the Century Daly City XD® screen better at this Daly City cinema It has a nice curve to it better then the new small IMAX® screen they just put in.

Comment

Working...
                        X