No announcement yet.

Smpte 430-10/430-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting the board inside the Rear Window system was dropped, I think, due to decreased demand of the RW system due to, I think, its high price and increased competition (Doremi, Sony, and USL came out with systems). The CCE-100 saw limited sales. It had an RF output that could drive an IRC-23 IR panel, but the IRC-28C was then developed, which put everything in the IR panel. Also, several servers included an RS232 output that could directly drive a Rear Window display, further reducing the need for the CCE-100. As far as I know, the RS232 output pin and driver chip is still on the internal board in the IRC-28C.

There is some talk of Bring Your Own Device captioning at ISDCF. The talk I've heard so far, though, uses "sidecar delivery" where the captions (and audio and sign language video) are downloaded ahead of time and synchronized based on auditorium audio. I prefer delivery and synchronization in the auditorium (whether BYOD or otherwise) from the server and DCP.

Harold

Comment

I'd think that the studios would wig out over sidecar as it would put their script into people's devices. Wasn't that the silly reason for the whole encrypting the captions thing? So that the script was never in the clear?

Comment

At least one studio seems fine with it. They say there is enough security. Someone asked if the system needs to go through DCI testing. Under Interop, the captions were indeed not encrypted. As I recall, this resulted in the script of a Star Wars movie being available before the movie opened.

Comment

Harold, Sorry I should have specified. I was curious why the polarized glasses caption project was abandoned.

Comment

The polarized glasses captioning system was abandoned because exhibitors did not like the constantly lit green rectangle below the screen. That is what those without the polarized glasses saw. The USL system used an LCD video projector with the polarizer removed. There was another system (Zola patent, as I recall) that used an LCD display below the screen with its front polarizer removed. Both systems resulted in a lit rectangle below the screen that exhibitors did not like. https://patentimages.storage.googlea...70216868A1.pdf

Another proposed system involved double flashing each frame by the projector with text having a positive luminance offset in the first flash and a negative offset in the second flash. The user would wear shutter glasses that removed one of the flashes, making the text visible. Those without glasses would see both the positive and negative offsets, averaging to the main picture luminance for those pixels. I only saw this system described. I never saw a demonstration of it.

Harold

Comment

Working...
            X