Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCP Playout Software

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am new to this forum. I am operator at Filmhuis de Domijnen (Arthouse cinema) in Sittard (Netherlands). I need some help in finding a DCP playout software. Somebody already tipped me about NeoDCP player. However I need to be able to test this software's ability to unlock movies with KDM, so I need a trial version that includes KDM capabilities. The trial version of NeoDCP does not include this. I tried contacting them via phone and E-mail, but without response. ( Contact us (neodcp.com) ) Does anybody know of a DCP playout software with KDM capabilities in the trial version ? When tests succeed we ofcourse are intrested in buying the license for the software. However my boss wants some insurencies. Thanks for helping me !

I'm guessing that you want to go this route because you don't have a DCI-compliant projector, server, and media block.

The problem with PC software-based DCP players is that most studios and distributors simply won't issue KDMs for software media blocks. They don't have a secure clock, and it is impossible to protect content against piracy (e.g. by connecting the HDMI output of your PC to an HDMI capture card with HDCP cracking capabilities). Some arthouse and niche interest distributors may be willing to issue KDMs for software media blocks, but (in the USA at least), the major studios and distributors simply won't: they will only issue KDMs for DCI-approved equipment.

Comment

If you have a sufficiently fast machine, you can use DCP-o-Matic to play encrypted DCPs, which is entirely free as you may know. You need a machine with good OpenGL support. You can use this as a proof of concept. Keep in mind that while NeoDCP at least offers HDCP-compliant playback, DCP-o-Matic certainly isn't. That may create an even bigger hurdle to convince distributors to issue KDMs. DCP-o-Matic also isn't really a playout solution like NeoDCP.

As for "Software Media-blocks" my experience is mixed. Most independent distributors don't seem to care, they're happy you're playing their content, but any big studio may be problematic. But, going for some solid playout software solution may still be worthwhile, even if you can't play the encrypted DCPs from the big studios, most content you'll show will likely be available via other means. Via the DCP-o-Matic route, you still can create DCPs from most of this content and integrate it in a much more common flow. EasyDCP at least offers a distinctive "split-screen" control, allowing for a far more professional show than using e.g. VLC or your next-best media player.

Comment

I can assure you that NeoDCP is able to play encrypted DCPs using standard KDMs. It is on the market for several years now and probably the most solid software player. However, as you have noticed already, they seem to have issues currently when it comes to communication (that was different some time ago). I know a german colleague who wanted to buy a license from them and could not get through to them for many weeks, not by email, not by phone. I havent talked to him lately, so I don't know wether he finally succeeded. As Marcel and Leo write - only a few distributors will issue KDMs towards software players because they are not considered safe enough.

Comment

EasyDCP at least offers a distinctive "split-screen" control
          For what it's worth, the DCP-o-matic player can also do this (picture on one monitor, controls on another), but the same problems apply with regards to distributors not wanting to issue KDMs. Once you get a KDM targeted at DCP-o-matic you can just make a new, unencrypted DCP from the encrypted one, so whether the player supports HDCP doesn't seem so important to me.

Comment

As my company once created dcpPlayer software. This project was cancelled as, simply put, this is not a commercially viable product. I would not be surprised that the NEOdcp people have moved onto other projects. A little secret, playback of DCPs and the cinema industry in general is actually very small. And is likely in a sunset period for some time as it contracts to meet the lower demand due to the changing environment. dcpPlayer lost money. NEOdcp is quite expensive and my argument is why purchase it when you can get full-on DCI-certified playback for not a lot more. (Ok probably double that of decent domestic projector, Playback hardware and NEOdcp software) Plus there is no forensic watermarking.
            On forensic watermarking, to simply license that, was multiple times more than the cost of what we wanted for the tool if we created it. Shows you how non-workable this market is.

HDCP-wise, our dCine technology had some added technology to stop HDCP hardware tools that would simply strip out an unprotected signal directly into a capture card. HDCP on its own even with recent iterations cannot stop those who are hell-bent on pirating the content.

Due to these factors...
            The majors will never allow KDMs against anything but certs that are derived from the hardware manufacturers. Their KDM-creation systems have all the hardware roots certs and if you submit a player cert not originating from those roots, it will not work. Just like how when you download a web browser and it comes installed with root certs of all the trusted certificate suppliers that protect https connections you use every day on the internet.

My suggestion would be to hang out for second second-hand that are starting to become more common for numerous reasons. (10 lease periods up and hardware replacements, numerous cinemas no longer need as many screens due to a permanent reduction in content supply. etc.)

DCP-O-Matic is a great interim choice. But its no industry-level player that can be completely automated. (Not that it won't be someday. I hope they keep improving it. I wish they would do a deal with Kakadu and get them to allow the use of the licensed codec. I find it is a bit too flaky and not reliable in playback in my tests. And imagine if it could play out of a Blackmagic IO (or similar manufacturer) card. (But no HDCP is possible on that, they don't have the HDCP chip onboard.. Only domestic graphics cards do.))

Comment

While on this topic.. (NEW)
              see this https://www.quvis.com/dcp-tools/
              Wraptor Pro V4.2 for Adobe..
              I am not surprised as Resolve has been making hay in terms of small independents needing to make a test DCP or mastering the J2K to go to a proper authoring studio.
              Adobe likely paid QuVis to pick up the ball. Not sure. But is SO expensive for what it does. But I suppose those locked into Adobe ecosystem would consider it.

I would still always use Resolve over Adobe as the colour science is far superior and better supported.

On this topic, they also released a DCPPlayer as part of this new version. Does not support KDM and is crazy expensive.. Considering DCP-O-Matic is around.
              They do license Kakadu (From my understanding), so it's fast and can playback on low-end hardware.

Comment

The NeoDCP people did email me recently about a new version, so, they do seem to be in business still. A lot of festivals and open air operations use it in europe.

DCP-o-matic player has never been advertised for actual presentation work, currently it is more a test tool for QC after mastering the DCP.
                Carl is definitely working on it towards presentation capabilities, but it's not there yet.

Comment

I'd suggest to try easyDCP Player - unlike NeoDCP it does support SDI output via e.g. Blackmagic Mini Monitor what I find great when dealing with different frame rates/frequencies. The program has two flavours - usual version and a "non export" one, which is meant mainly for presentations.

What is more, they do have a subscription payment model, so you cold try it for much less money than NeoDCP. They're Germany-based and have really great support!

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                    The NeoDCP people did email me recently about a new version, so, they do seem to be in business still. A lot of festivals and open air operations use it in europe.

DCP-o-matic player has never been advertised for actual presentation work, currently it is more a test tool for QC after mastering the DCP.
                    Carl is definitely working on it towards presentation capabilities, but it's not there yet.
                    Communication seems to be a general problem with quite a few businesses in this niche... I've had good and bad experiences with NeoDCP. Sometimes it takes weeks for them to reply to an e-mail inquiry, but I've also had sub-hour responses in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X