Installing an ICMP in very early DPXK-XXB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an ICMP in very early DPXK-XXB

I've now had a serious problem doing this for the second time.

The first was back in April: a DP2K-32B manufactured in 2010. cat745 bit the dust, and customer decided to replace it with an ICMP+. The first time, it wouldn't see any of the RAID drives. No drive lights ever came on. Checked connections to the RAID board, etc. etc., all the usual stuff - no luck there. Cinionic shipped a replacement. The projector wouldn't see that one at all - didn't even register a DCI tamper. Transplanted the RAID controller from the second to the first. Same behavior - it recognized the main board and let me clear the tamper, but wouldn't see any drives. Tried a new backplane - no change. Eventually, we swapped in an IMS2000 from a C series projector in another screen, put the ICMP+ into the C series projector, and both projectors and servers lived happily ever after.

Now, yesterday, a different variation on the same theme. Again, a DP2K-32B manufactured in 2010. Cat862 bit the dust; customer elected to buy an ICMP (this time, a -X). Installed it, and about 15 seconds after power on, the hardware error light on the fan controller board came on, and the thing hung during the boot process - flashing green tail light continued forever. Put the ICP and Enigma board back in; same thing (the projector was working fine when I entered the booth). As it won't boot, I can't download a package, and so Cinionic isn't able to suggest much, except trying a new FCB, then backplane, then CCB. Obviously, the cost of this in parts and labor is not going to be pleasant.

Has anyone else come across this? I've installed ICMPs in more recent B series projectors with no problems, but this is now the second time I've hit a major issue when doing so in very early production models.

While we're all starting to change out servers now (most are 10+ years old), I haven't been putting in the ICMP (in any variant) as replacements so I have not had that problem. Thus far, with IMS3000s and SR1000s, zero issues on B or C projectors. Naturally, an ICMP is more invasive as it also replaces the ICP module so there is more for the CCB to contend with being different. I'm sure it also puts a different demand on the power from the signal backplane.

I have not had a big success story with the ICMP line up with almost all having to be replaced at relatively young ages. As such, they are not my go-to unless the projector is primarily going to be an A/V projector that CAN run DCPs.

Comment

In both cases, the decision to buy an ICMP was driven primarily by how long it would take to get it versus the IMS3000. An added factor in the latter case is that there was already an ICMP in operation at the same site (a college film school), and so the operator training requirement was reduced.

The power consumption / CCB load possibility occurred to me, too. In the first case, there was clearly nothing wrong with the ICMP or the projector standalone, because the ICMP in a C series projector worked fine, as did an IMS2000 in the B. But I simply couldn't get the ICMP in the B to work for love nor money (quite a lot of money, given that we tried a new backplane).

About a month ago I replaced an SX-3000 (batteries were allowed to drain and it went into FIPS lock) plus TI ICP with an ICMP-X in a DP4K-23B manufactured in 2016 with no problems whatsoever, which is what makes me wonder if this is something that only affects very early production models of the B series. Maybe they changed the SMPS design a bit to give it more power?

Comment

The CCB changed. There is a later SMPS but I don't think it was in 2016. I find it odd that your 32Bs were in 2010...the B projectors were not shipping in 2010 (maybe at the very end)...that is why the DP3000 hung around a year longer than the DP1200-DP2000.

The ICP was different in an early projector (not 4K capable)...but the ICMP would negate that issue too. I'm going with early CCB. Did you update the CCB before putting the ICMP in?

While, I have you. Have you found what the generic "iButton" part number is for the Dallas key? As some theatres are changing hands, it would appear that some in-house techs have been making off with Dallas Keys.
        Last edited by Steve Guttag; 11-18-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I was going by the label on top of the projector, next to the exhaust manifold, for the manufacturing date. I'm guessing that the first production run happened in 2010, but that the projectors didn't actually ship until the following year.

The model number of the Dallas key on my keyring (which I register to all the projectors I service regularly) is DS1990A-F5, but there is a minimum order of 100 if you buy straight from iButton, and they ship direct from China, meaning customs formalities. Still, if you think that you are likely to sell that many, it may work out as a better deal than buying them individually from Cinionic.

Edit - here's a picture:

dallas_key.jpg

It looks like it says DS1990A-FF5, but DS1990A-F5 is the nearest match I can find on their website.
          Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 11-18-2022, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I would appear that Mouser is getting iButtons. But they are in kit form. The DS1990A-F5 is the button part.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...tI%252Bw%3D%3D

One can then deluxe it with a key fob.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...TuNx%2FQ%3D%3D

And Amazon, if you put in the DS1990A F5 will get you a gaggle of knockoffs for rather low cost. 10 for $10 or 100 for $50
            Last edited by Steve Guttag; 11-18-2022, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Given the remaining life expectancy of the projectors that require a Dallas key, a cheap knockoff will likely be fine. And at a buck a piece, very few tears will be shed if they don't last very long.

Comment

Isn't there a Barco document describing issues between earlier CCBs and ICMPs? Or the ICP-D? But Barco support should know about that?!

Comment

I've just checked the website and can't find any Info-Ts related to this.

Comment

I get the Dallas keys on eBay, any colour you like, they're £2 a pop last time I got any.

I have not installed IMCP into early projectors ( you cannot get IMCPs here for love nor money).

I have done GDC SR1000 and IMS3000. No issues once the relevant base clone files are added.

Comment

There are definitely variants of the CCB. The latest ones have a USB socket, earlier ones do not - there may be several versions of those. The ones with USB are called "integrated CCB" by Barco, without is "non integrated".
                      Installing a laser light unit retrofit can't be fully completed with a "non integrated" CCB. They work OK, but can't accept the new identity chip and become a + version. The serial number and projector type stay as original. No big problem but odd. The only way to have it believe it's a 20B+ (or whatever) is the replace the CCB and then install the new "SIM card". You also need to load a new "laser" lamp file with these, with the integrated CCB you don't. I don't know when they changed over, but units installed 10 years ago don't usually have integrated CCBs.

I haven't seen issues with retrofitting an ICMP on an early S2 but we haven't done many so far. The IMS retrofit has been trouble free, and we have done a bunch of those. Trouble free except for training the operators to use them.

Comment

Will it boot with nothing in the ICP slot and nothing in the IMB slot?

Comment

The only thing I see in ICMP(-X) portfolio InfoT is that the ICMP-X on C and B series 2 projectors requires at least 2.8.x sw version, but I assume that the projector was already updated

Comment

I would put the input and ICP cards back in, check versions, and install the latest package. Even if it is current, forcing a full install might help. That does take quite a while and several reboots, do it from Communicator on a PC as unless you power the DCTP externally it's a royal pain from there. You do not need to have a green light with marriage active to do software installation.

Comment

It was on current (2.10.117) before I swapped out the cards. Problem with reflashing is that it won't boot at all. Blinking green tail light continues forever. The CCB will answer a ping, but Communicator will not connect to it, either via IP or RS232. Haven't tried with the ICP and IMB slots empty, but will - thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X