Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco AP24-3D Conundrum

Hello,

Although I am a civilian so to speak I purchased a commercial Barco AP24-3D NIB and didn't pay very much for it. The unit has 24 digital channels which I need and also has the software loaded. Neither Barco or ATI support the unit. I guess that's why it was sold for such a low price. Contractually I can understand why both companies won't support the unit,but they both made money on the unit.

Is there anyway to bypass the software so I don't need a key? I'd like to use the Auro 3D and expand my system to 9.1 or 10.1.

I have a DCP300 currently....but I would like to have the AP24 as a option.

There are a lot of these for sale on Ebay at 4 times what a paid for this unit. A shame if this unit would be a boat anchor. Does this run Neo 6 native?

Thanks for any thoughts,experiences or advice....You can PM me if you like.
    Last edited by Roger DiVito; 04-25-2020, 05:59 PM.

Well, it's an AP20 running special software. What does the unit do at all without a key currently?

What do you mean by saying 'civilian' - what other gear do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
      Well, it's an AP20 running special software. What does the unit do at all without a key currently?

What do you mean by saying 'civilian' - what other gear do you have?
      Carsten PM sent

Comment

The question is, what will this unit do when it is started. I would assume that it works like a standard AP20 for most. It is speculative, but I think you need a key to enable Auro 3D Playback on a DCI server if you use such a server. It wouldn't make sense to make and sell a dedicated Auro 3D audio processor and then needing a key to enable it on that same processor.

I don't think you will be able to use the Auro 3D feature in this processor, because you would need DCI/DCP content with embedded cinema Auro 3D soundtracks. The AP24 still has ample channels to support many 5.1+ layouts. However, it will certainly not decode any of the current consumer Auro, DTS or Atmos signals from e.g. Bluray discs. They would need special decoding capabilities within the unit, and the software doesn't support it. That would need e.g. an ATI RS20I.

I would simply fire up the unit and make myself familiar with the standard AP20/AP25 manual, then see if it does what you want.

Comment

Thank you Carsten I will boot the unit tomorrow and let you know what is active tee. Question will the Dirac live be operable with the Mic kit . Is that the easiest way to use Dirac live?

Comment

You would certainly need the Datasat/ATI supplied DIRAC kit and training to use DIRAC on this unit. Other than better home cinema processors, these units will not be able to perform DIRAC optimisation on their own. You need an installer kit, and you won't get that without a training. You can hire one of their certified techs, though.

https://www.datasatdigital.com/produ...loads/#76-ap20

Comment

Working...
            X