X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting drive-in movie theatre

Hello all,

I hope this topic finds you well.

The theatre that I currently work at is looking to start a Drive-In Movie Theatre. I need assistance with finding the appropriate equipment to get it started.

First off, we need a projector and a screen.

For the projector, we DO NOT NEED A CINEMA PROJECTOR. We are looking for something low cost, that has good picture quality.

For the screen, we are looking for something that would be appropriate for around 50 cars. We cannot use the side of a building. I don't know how to set the screen up so it stands up, but we need something like that. Probably a screen around 17" wide and 10" high.

For the sound, we were talking about some FM transmitter that would send audio to a channel for the cars to tune-in to, but do we need a cinema processor, etc.?

Since no studios are releasing films until around July, we will only be playing movies via DVD until that time, but, we need a way to play DCP's through the projector, without buying a cinema projector. Can we just buy a media block and ingest DCP's through that, and connect that to the projector?

Any other necessary equipment comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Jake

First off all, DVDs are no good, go for BluRays. You can rip them to MKVs and use any playback solution you like. Keep in mind that, whatever you're going to play, you still need the authorization of the studios to do this, whatever source you get it from.

Then, for the screen and projector... if this is just a temporary setup, why not try to find an events company that rents out giant LED screens? Those kinds of companies that usually build LED walls for festivals. Those are all cancelled and maybe they can give you a good price.

The problem with projectors is, the one you need, DCI or not, will still be pretty expensive, as you'll need the light.

As for the audio equipment: There are two other topics regarding FM transmitters, downmixing and compressors. You may have a look at them.

As for playing studio DCPs on non-DCI equipment: That's never going to happen. Period. Is there a way around it? No. It would defy the purpose of the whole security concept behind DCI.
    Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 05-01-2020, 04:49 PM. Reason: Added some semi-intelligent stuff regarding DCI security.

Comment

Okay. Blue-Rays. Got it.

No LED Screens. Projector and screen.

As for the projectors, we don't have the money to buy a DCI cinema projector. Quoting my boss, "Under a $1000 for all equipment solution". I know that's a very bold statement, and probably not possible, but my main concern is the projector.

No way to do it on a regular projector? You can't connect a media block/server and just ingest DCPs on there and then connect that to the projector?

Edit: I talked to my boss - we do not need a projector that is able to ingest DCps - just one that can hook up to a blueray/dvd player.

Jake
      Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-01-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

When is it getting dark at your location currently?

1000$ for a projector and screen and transmitter is simply not possible, not if you need to buy the equipment.
        No, you don't need a cinema processor.

- Carsten

Comment

It is getting dark around 8:00pm.

I know - but we need to do it.

We were looking at a screen like this:https://www.amazon.com/Outside-Suppo.../dp/B07QM1C4JD

We are going to do like 3 rows of cars, with about 16 cars in each row.

So for the projector, what would be necessary.

I don't think the transmitters are too expensive.

Jake

Comment

Well, you need the brightest projector you can buy for the rest of that money. It should have at least something like 4000-5000lumens (REAL lumens, not fake lumens).

Depending on regulations in your country, you may be allowed to operate one of those cheap fm transmitters available from chinese ebay sellers.

Why don't you use the DCI projector from your cinema?

Comment

Carsten,

It is a giant projector.

This is most likely going to be a temporary theatre. Outside.

Edit: Need specific recommendations for screens and projectors

Edit 2: Would this work? (about 95 ft. away from screen) https://www.avgear.com/product/chris...AaArJ3EALw_wcB
              Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-01-2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

If you want to play studio movies later this year, only a REAL DCI projector will do. If you want to play just BluRay or other "ripped" content, any projector that fits the requirements in resolution and brightness will do.

The latest projector you're quoting is an XGA projector, it has a resolution of 1024×768. For the record, 2K is 2048×1080. The lens on it has a maximum throw of about 15 meters or about 45 ft. The throw distance you require is considerable, there is no way you can bring the projector closer to the screen? I don't see such a throw distance happening for that budget, let alone for the projector. I think you should look for sponsorship from someone who can provide the equipment to you.

I was thinking alongside the same as Carsten, why don't you use your existing DCI projector when you're not going to use it for a prolonged time?

Comment

Yes, only a projector that will play BlueRays/DVDs.

We CANNOT use the projector that is in our other cinema. It is mounted in a projection booth and hardwired in. It is also in a cinema that will be in use within the next few months. I don't know why that was even a consideration.

Are there any Christie projectors that will be able to do what I need for a reasonable price? Maybe under 100 ft, but def. more than 70 ft.

I also need recommendations for FM transmitters.

Comment

Jake, I'm sorry, but you're spinning your wheels here. As has been said already, what your owner wants can not be done for under $1,000. My advise would be to have your owner do the running around he has you doing. When he secures the required equipment, screen, etc., you can set it up and run it for him.

If this could be done for less than the price of a bad used car, everyone would have had their own drive-in long ago.

Comment

What Jack said.

And like you've been told earlier: Look in the other two active topics on this very same site for recommendations for FM transmitters, that's not too difficult to ask for, is it? It avoids spreading information all over this forum.

Also... if you want to have 16 cars in a row, please take a look at your screen size. Those 24ft diagonally... sorry, but you'll be handing out binoculars. The screen may be great for your backyard BBQ party or corporate event, but not for 16 cars in a row with proper distancing.
                      Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 05-01-2020, 10:21 PM. Reason: Added info regarding screen size.

Comment

That 24ft is INCLUDING the blow up frame... Essentially, that screen is 5m wide, and 16:9. Now, how much is left from a typical flat or even scope movie on such a screen?

As for throw - that screen can be used rear-pro style, according to the description. It will probably eat a lot light that way. However, it is probably still easier to source a short throw high lumen projector in that price range ('range' is already an euphemism), than a long-throw projector. I know some older AV rental projectors can be bought for very little money now, but typically one reason for their low price is the lack of HDCP compliant inputs, the other is burnt LCD panels.

Whatever, I have my fair share of improvising mobile presentations and still maintaining a decent picture quality, but this...

Equipment cost aside, one also needs to have a bit of experience to set up everything properly to get it going and make sure no one ist killed...from what I read, there is no 'tech knowledge' involved so far.

- Carsten

Comment

Yes, i am aware that that screen is too small for what he wants. But I'm just researching.

Would a projector like this work?: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ml/?ap=y&smp=y

Also, I don't really know anything about projecting from the back of the screen. Would that be easier?

And also, do we have to be projecting the image from behind all the cars?

Comment

You can place the projector higher than the surrounding car roofs and project from there. You could even put the projector ON TOP of a car roof. The screen, however, needs to be set/built/hung higher than the ground. You need to use a little stage under the screen to get the lower edge of the screen at least up to 1.50-2 metres. With a light, inflatable screen, that should be rather easy. However, that screen is VERY light and could easily be blown away. The projector you mention could be used, but I guess only from the front, as rear projection eats much more light. The lens, however, only allows for a distance of max 7-8m from a 5m wide screen. You could place your own car in that distance from the screen center, put the projector on your car hood and project from there. You need a decent distance between the first row and the screen anyway. That would be kind of a 'Guerilla-Drive In' approach. Essentially, an idea I start to like and the only reason I am still responding to this thread ;-) Put your transmitter into the car, use a converter to power the projector, and you can drive around and do drive-in cinema anywhere you want...

(for your budget calculation, that screen comes without a blower, so, start breathing...)

- Carsten

Comment

Carsten,

I'm no expert - that's why I posted on this forum, for guidance.

The screen would obviously be secured to the ground so it wouldn't go anywhere.

So does it matter if the projector is placed in like the first row? As long as it is the distance specified from the actual projector?

I already have a blower.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X