No announcement yet.

Alternative for USL convergence camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative for USL convergence camera?

My formerly trusty USL convergence camera is buggered. Three computers won't even recognize its presence when the USB plug is inserted. RIP convergence camera, and I am not aware of any off-the-shelf replacement that is specifically designed for this purpose.

So I've been looking around online to see what I might be able to make work as a replacement. I like the look of this, the one gotcha appearing to be that it doesn't have a tripod mount thread, meaning that I'd also need to buy a C-clamp in order to mount it on my tripod. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. The fact that it can transmit a video image live to a cellphone app would enable me to position the camera in the port window (assuming that the booth enables me to remove the glass), align and focus it on each marker on the test pattern, and then actually make the adjustment with my phone right next to the adjusters on the light engine, meaning no neck contortions, and hopefully a pretty good result.

Of course if the port glass is not removable, I'd be walking up and down the stairs to re-aim this thing on markers 1 through 6 between each adjustment. But I had to do that with the USL camera anyways, with the added complication of having to carry a 100ft USB extender with me, which this Canon thing would potentially do away with.

Thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Your idea seems solid. The 100mm/400mm might help to point, instead of the laser pointer.
    My only concern would be whether the lens of the camera would be reliable enough for all three colors.
    Even with the VCC-102, nowadays/with laser light source, I don't quite see the colors as I used to with xenon on the laptop screen.
    In previous discussions in this forum -or its retired parent- I remember someone mentioned using a digital photographic camera instead.
    (The same thread that I was saying that -when wearing glasses- I often had a different feeling on where blue is, depending on how far from the screen I was.)

As a side note, last time I had to fix convergence, I was remoting into the laptop from another laptop. I guess I could do it by phone as well.
    For when there is no WiFi at a booth, I was carrying an access point. It was very helpful on the rest of the settings as well.
    That remoting to the laptop for convergence didn't spare me the stairs.

As a side-as-well-but-further-away note, I would try to replace the USB connector before trashing the camera. Maybe cut an inch or two centimeters. What do you have to lose?

Comment

Yeah, I too have found it doesn't represent the convergence well on laser light (RGB) so what I saw on the laptop and what I saw down at the screen were not the same. Zero issues with xenon though. I'm not sure I have any system, yet where I couldn't put the camera up by the projector and then move it, as needed. If it is a pod based system, perhaps but then I'd be figuring out a way to mount the thing to the pod, where I could reach it. I find myself using binoculars more and more though.

Comment

I don't think the fault with my USL camera is the USB cord. Because it's hard wired into the back of the unit, rather than having a jack on the back, I've always been super careful when packing it away not to cinch or put pressure on the cable, and there are no signs of that at either end. I think the board in the back of the camera simply died.

Agreed that it's not ideal for laser, either (especially on green), hence another reason for looking for an alternative. It's essential that it is not shooting through a port glass, even to get into the ballpark.

Comment

I've shot it through a port glass on xenon and there is no issue there...but laser...what I see in the booth and what I see downstairs are not the same.

Comment

With laser what I see with my left eye and what I see with my right eye are not the same. One eye always looks out of convergence to me. I'm finding that I prefer Barco's phosphor over their RGB.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sharp View Post
              With laser what I see with my left eye and what I see with my right eye are not the same. One eye always looks out of convergence to me. I'm finding that I prefer Barco's phosphor over their RGB.
              I have to wonder if you have slight astigmatism in one eye. It's actually quite common with people in general, and usually just in one eye.
              Steve, I believe this is why colorists prefer to do their work on Xenon projectors.

Comment

They do color-timing with xenon lighting and then pray for the best on laser.
                Since the digitization of cinema, there were developments, but compromise was a constant trip partner.

@Leo, I know how the cable is connected, I am a happy owner and user of the device myself. Much less, nowadays.
                Even though I recognize that the chances are for the problem to be deeper inside the camera, I would give it a try for the extreme possibility that the plug or a connection to it went rogue. You know, 3.5V instead of 5, or something.
                You do have to lose a few minutes and a couple of dollars, maybe, but you wouldn't loose a second asking "what if".

Besides that, this discussion derailed a bit and I might be the one to blame. Yet, I am interested on what people have to say about different and new solutions for a one-man-convergence-show and would appreciate the feedback, if you were to buy and use that camera.
                Last edited by Ioannis Syrogiannis; 04-18-2023, 11:32 AM. Reason: Syntax corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Ioannis Syrogiannis View Post
                  They do color-timing with xenon lighting and then pray for the best on laser.
                  Pretty close, but if the client wants it corrected for laser then they'll do it that way and skip the xenon.Some times they do it both ways. But none the less they cringe at having to use laser.

Comment

When I lived in Denver (Arvada, actually), I rode the bus to Boulder quite a bit. On one of the trips, I got into a discussion with the driver. Turns out he used to be a color timer for Technicolor. Not sure why he left, but I suspect it was in the film to digital transition. Times change!

Comment

OK; I'll open up the back of the camera and take a look at the connections before calling it quits. Leaning towards buying the Canon device if the fault is nothing obvious.

Comment

I would think there is plenty of low cost OEM camera modules nowadays than could be used for this task. The problem is to find the right combination that can actually aid in setting mechanical convergence. Being able to use a cell phone or tablet while diving into the machine would certainly help. That would indicate that a generic WIFI/IP camera would be the most versatile solution. While most smartphones and tablets offer a USB port nowadays, not every device will support any USB-connected camera due to the lack of drivers.
                        Ideally, a camera with a standard lens like C-Mount, that allows you to use lenses optimised for the task. I would think that most zoom lenses on consumer grade devices will not deliver a decent picture at the focal lengths required for this task. Also, the screen luminance is not very high in order to enable these lens/sensor combinations to deliver a decent image.

Comment

Leo, Have you checked with Harold to see if he knows of anyone around from the factory that might be able to repair it? Jack is also still around doing consulting work.

Comment

I haven't, and AFAIK, even QSC didn't take over this model, let alone it getting as far as us (MiT). So I'm guessing that new boards, or whatever has gone wrong with it, are long gone. In any case, opening it up will have to wait until after Cinemacon now.

Comment

It would be cool if MIT would dabble into the test equipment market. I'm sure it is even more difficult as a publicly traded company since test equipment is, by definition almost, low-volume things. However, there really does need to be a source of test equipment that is not being fulfilled right now. The convergence camera being an example. I think we'd be better off with a modern PSA as well and, honestly, I like the PCA 100 for my daily driver over our other "better" meters. It isn't quite as accurate as the PR-655 (my favorite in terms of accuracy and repeatability) but I've shot them against each other on the same tripod and they are plenty close. The PCA-100 can go off into outer space at times but it will, eventually, settle back in the real world (particularly on red).

I really liked that Jack and USL made niche cinema-specific test equipment that really did benefit the industry even if not super profitable for the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X