Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
    with cinedigital TMS our transfers between screens run 20-30 min
    That's about the same as with the GDC TMS running on an old dell 2950 server.. newer servers are faster and take less time... What is your transfer time if you are transferring 4 or 6 movies at the same time?

Comment

usually 30 min a complex of 6 screens finished their transfers

Comment

Western Digital and Crucial are now offering 4 tb NVME, so will be interesting to see if GDC starts to offer 4 tb as an option.

Comment

GDC announced at Cine Asia that the SR-1000 is now available with 4 tb of built in Cinecache storage. So unless you have gobs of film festival type stuff to store, it's doubtful you'd need external storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
            GDC announced at Cine Asia that the SR-1000 is now available with 4 tb of built in Cinecache storage. So unless you have gobs of film festival type stuff to store, it's doubtful you'd need external storage.
            I used these with the external enterprise storage and Cine Cache 2 TB in average art house theatres.
            Shortly after install, they filled the total memory to 80%, and those aren't festival houses. The more storage there is, the lesser maintenance and purging will happen.

Comment

There is truth to the fact that people will tend to fill whatever storage they have until the point where it won't take anymore. We have some sites with as much as 10.5 TB...and they fill that up too. Then again, I have some sites with no more than 1.8TB of storage and they never get above 1TB. It is all in how disciplined the people are at purging stale content.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post

I used these with the external enterprise storage and Cine Cache 2 TB in average art house theatres.
                Shortly after install, they filled the total memory to 80%, and those aren't festival houses. The more storage there is, the lesser maintenance and purging will happen.
                Originally, all but one of my customers with plex's had TMS's, so when the SR-1000 came out, they opted for internal storage, even though they knew they would have to transfer content stored on the TMS back over again. The TMS's I built had a minimum of 4 tb and a Max of 8tb of Raid 5 content storage. No one ever filled their media drives to my knowledge. I didn't service any Art Houses, so most locations running first run found 2 tb on server storage to be enough. Most, also dumped old content they would never use again off the server before they loaded new stuff on. They got into this habbit back when I installed their original GDC servers. Plus, with a TMS they didn't even have to go to the theater to delete content, or make up shows and schedules. I actually had one customer in Nevada do all this by remote while he was on a South Seas Cruise with his wife. Another customer who has SX-3000's had the PDP-3000's in his theater completely populated with drives because he ran quite a few kids shows in the afternoon that changed daily. Two single screen drive in's I converted had no TMS, although they did at their down town plex's. I just found the GDC external storage to be too pricy, especially when theaters already had the storage they needed and knew how to use it.

Comment

Mark,
                  the arthouses I have as customers are different. They claim, they need all possible storage to store films, eg for a possible school screening in mornings in maybe 4 weeks time, for a Sunday matinee, for a posible day in 6 weeks on a single spot. I personally only have a 2 TB cache in my SR 1000. It was always more than ample, but it is a backup and home projector in my case. I am in the process to hand the projector to a customer, which has a defective Sony, and we need something until the new projector will be delivered. Firstcomment I learn, "I need more storage! 2 TB is not sufficient"...
                  Luckily it plays from NAS, SATA etc. He will manage something.
                  These places do not have TMS systems, but many have collections of disks with hundreds of TB filled in old stuff. Similar to those that collected movie posters from every movie, for the unlikely change they will ever play it again, to be prepared.
                  Try to change these people, I gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post
                    Mark,
                    the arthouses I have as customers are different. They claim, they need all possible storage to store films, eg for a possible school screening in mornings in maybe 4 weeks time, for a Sunday matinee, for a posible day in 6 weeks on a single spot. I personally only have a 2 TB cache in my SR 1000. It was always more than ample, but it is a backup and home projector in my case. I am in the process to hand the projector to a customer, which has a defective Sony, and we need something until the new projector will be delivered. Firstcomment I learn, "I need more storage! 2 TB is not sufficient"...
                    Luckily it plays from NAS, SATA etc. He will manage something.
                    These places do not have TMS systems, but many have collections of disks with hundreds of TB filled in old stuff. Similar to those that collected movie posters from every movie, for the unlikely change they will ever play it again, to be prepared.
                    Try to change these people, I gave up.
                    Oh, I completely understand your situation. If I had had a cinema like yours to oversee, then that is the only way to store stuff. But all my customers were all mainstream movie locations. Only one was second run, and he required the most storage because of all the kids matinees that they ran there...

Comment

Working...
                    X