Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMS2000 and using SSDs, share my experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMS2000 and using SSDs, share my experience.

Hi All.
    Recently I mentioned using SSD is the way to go as they are getting cheap.

In eating my own dog food, I tried to qualify this suggestion to make sure I was making a good suggestion. And this is what happened.

Looking online 2TB SSD, for a respected brand. (In this case the better Samsung unit 870EVO 2TB) cost about $100 aud from China. Took 2 weeks to arrive.
    the only 2TB disk available over the counter left is a Seagate 2TB disk at $130. 870EVO over the counter are $150 aud.
    With 3x 870EVO I attempted to put them into a IMS2000 (NEC unit).
    They didn't even register in the kernel. Like nothing was there. Indicating in a generic sense the IMS2000 may be broken. As I did test the 870EVOs first on a PC.

I got the disk list from Dolby, and was able to find a Micron unit that is going cheap at the moment at about $160aud. Others on the list went for about $600aud or more typically.
    Again, this was from China and took a few weeks to arrive. But yes, they did detect and one is re-silvering at the moment. I will format a set of three after this re-silver as a test.
    Run them for a few days doing some ingests etc.

The story here is that.
    Apart from qualified SSD, if you try off-the-shelf units, they may not show up at all. But don't jump to the conclusion the IMS2000 is broken. (Which would be a common path considering no kernel detection)
    Also, I think I am lucky to find the Micron unit super cheap. It's probably EOL.

Considering these details. I hope others can take note. Maybe stock up on some of the cheap Micron units now.

I would prefer the IMS2000 would accept any 2TB SSD, as the tech is old and in general, extremely reliable now as it's such an old and proven technology (SATA SSDs are more power efficient and low heat output than ever). They are commodities and I would prefer being able to pick up any old SSD and use it. But you do what you can.

Micron has large plants in Boise, Idaho and Lehigh, Utah to manufacture memory chips. They also sell drives and RAM under the brand name Crucial. So if Crucial drives are marketed in Austrailia, be sure to look at those as well. I have been using them for years and have never had any failures.

Comment

Do you have a link to the latest approved drives list please?

Comment

I was given this link to the live document covering supported disks in Dolby devices.

https://dolby.box.com/s/vx4ccm1w1wrt...32h104zub162x9

Comment

One more comment...
          Took about the same amount of time to re-silver the SSD against the Hard drives.and to format all 3 SSDs. But then ingesting, the copy then ckecksum.. The checksum runs 4-5 times faster then when 2TB hard drives were in use. The network interface only goes so fast.

Comment

Working...
          X