Storage specs and experience for Barco DP2K 10sx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage specs and experience for Barco DP2K 10sx

Hello, does anyone have experience with the lowest still healthy storage temperature for a Barco DP2K 10sx. Our heating system failed and its getting cold, up to -10°C/5°F. The machine currently is not operated and it is a dry environment.

Best to go to Barco's website and start a support ticket. Most of the parts in the projector would be able to tolerate those temps if humidity is low. The cooling system is the main worry.

But my first question is, would it be possible to provide an electric space heater as a temporary fix? You only need to get just above freezing (around 34f or I think that would translate to 1-2 deg C). You mainly need to protect the cooling system fluid from freezing. Even covering it with an electric bed blanket will keep it just warm enough to keep it from freezing up.

Or, if possible disconnect it and take it to a location with heat, even your own home if you can.

But as I said at the start, Barco is the best place to get the right answer. Meantime you MUST try to get some sort of cover or heat into the space where the projector is located, or move it into a space that doesn't get as cold.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. The device cannot be moved as it is fixed, removal would he extremely difficult. Electricity is down, hence the heating outage.

Someone sent me the link to the non-operational environmental conditions specs for the Dp2k 12c, so not exactly my 10sx but I asume it comparable. Barco's specs define the min. storage temp good down to -15°C/5°F What's your thoughts on that data?
      Barco DP2K-12C Manual Online: general, Installation Requirements, Power Requirements. About This Chapter Read This Chapter Before Installing Your Dp2K C-Series Projector. It Contains Important Information Concerning Installation Require- Ments For The Dp2K C-Series Projector, Such As...
      Last edited by Harold Chasen; 12-08-2023, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I'd underscore Tony's point about humidity, and flag up the liquid that in this part of the world we refer to as coolant, but in Berlin in December I guess would be called whatever is the German for antifreeze! My point is that if it wasn't flushed and changed at the recommended intervals and had been in the projector for many years before it went into cold storage, the risk exists of not much anti and too much freeze.

Also, I'm not sure how well the ICP and/or IMB certificate batteries will do in very cold storage, either. I'm guessing OK, as long as they were replaced on time.

But the big issue is that when you come to power it back up, make sure that everything is dry. I have only once been in close proximity to an exploding xenon lamp. The theater I was working at had to close for almost a month: it was on the bank of a large river, the river burst that bank and flooded, the theater's basement got 10 feet of water in it, the electrical breaker panels for the whole building were in that basement (kudos to the genius architect who put them there) and went under, and the rest was history. This was in November in northern England, and the overnight temperature went down into the low single digits of Celsius.

Anyways, when the power came back on, we fired everything up in the booths to check for functionality. After I struck the first lamphouse, it lit for around 5-10 seconds, and then BANG! When we looked in the second, we found the bulb envelope itself dripping with humidity. That explained that one. We attended to all the others with a hairdryer.
        Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 12-08-2023, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Extreme cold is not good for the equipment. I would invest in an indoor propane heater to provide a moderate amount of heat to the room.

Comment

beware of propane heater, one of the products of combustion is water. You'd get warmer air but very very moist!

Comment

Got the weather update. Temps will not go that low during the next days. Thanks for all your support, very much appreciated.

Comment

S series don't have liquid cooling so that's not a worry. Storage low temp in the S series installation manual is -15C.
                barco_s_temps.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post
                  S series don't have liquid cooling so that's not a worry. Storage low temp in the S series installation manual is -15C.
                  barco_s_temps.jpg

Thanks very much for info

Comment

key point: No condensation, otherwise is storage temperature no problem. And no condensation includes days, when the weather is warming up. The outside air then carries more humidity, which condensates on the still cold metal and glass of the projector. Assisting in rust and a perfect atmosphere for fungus and mold on glass surfaces. Best storage is in a slightly electric heated room or in a storage case with enough dehumidifier to keep the air dry.

Comment

Working...
                    X