Barco Alchemy - tell me your experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco Alchemy - tell me your experience

Hi all, I'm from Brazil and have been experiencing bad times with barco alchemy. I handle several films in a festival and most of our screening issues were in the theater that operates with Alchemy.
    I'd like to hear anyhting about your experience with alchemy, I really want to know if its just bad luck or if its the same for everyone, but also would like to share my last big issues with that theater:

2 years ago a huge movie from Mubi couldnt ingest there:
    Code 10924: “player - invalid CPL signature - cannot play” (Error)
    Situation Solution
    The play cannot start
    because one of the CPLs has
    an invalid signature.
    Request a CPL with a valid signature from the content provider.

but it ingested everywhere else.

Last year a small movie with subtitles made in DCP o matic played everywhere else but this massage returned from that theater:
    Code 10914: “player - subtitles preprocessing error - cannot play” (Error)

This year the guy in the theater didn't sent me error codes, but called me during a playback, he said he watched the movie in the afternoon, but during the official screening it was freezing, like it was corrupted. I couldnt believe that, because until now i did believe that corrupted material wont ingest, but he said he tried again the following day and it was still freezing. I went to the the troubleshooting in the manual and found that:

Code 10928: “player - corruption in CPL assets - play might fail” (Warning)
    Situation Solution
    The play can start but one or
    more assets are corrupted
    and could cause problems or
    failure during playback.
    It is highly recommended to delete and re-ingest corrupted content. If
    the source DCP is corrupted, then a healthy DCP should be requested.
    The playback of such content can create picture or audio artefacts
    or could simply fail.

And now i cant believe its DCI Compliant, how can we work with the possibility of a corrupted DCP (maybe in the copy to the HD that contains all movies I need to send to the theater, because we always test the DCPs integrity after downloading or receiveing Labs HDs) being ingested and only crashing during playback?​

Is it running current software? v1.4.4.16 is the latest. If not, install it and see what happens.
    And no, I have not seen these problems. We just had a festival with 4 ICMP systems and while festivals always have content problems nothing weird related to the server was reported. Two or three years ago they did have issues but Barco worked with us and these were resolved.

Comment

Nice to hear that! Its not my theater but next time Ill ask them to keep software as up to date as possible. We are used to believe that every theater updates its servers as soon as possible. we always ask for some review in theater equalization, lamp and updated list of servers models and serial numbers (as its usual some equipment exchange here). Ill keep in mind asking for software update

thank you

Comment

Given the repeated corrupt content errors, I wonder if you have RAID drive problems. What does the RAID status say? In the English Barco Communicator, log in to service tech mode, then Media Server > Maintenance > RAID Storage; sorry, but I can't give you a Portuguese version screenshot.

image.png

Live Dave, I've installed and used all three versions of the ICMP/Alchemy quite a bit, including in arthouse/festival settings that play subtitled content, and cannot remember ever encountering these errors, or a customer reporting them.

Comment

No problem, we're used to work with english here. I'll send that sugestion to the theater operator. The most important here is to hear from you that it maybe some local issue and not some sort of Alchemy problem.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Luiz Richard View Post
            2 years ago a huge movie from Mubi couldnt ingest there:
            Code 10924: “player - invalid CPL signature - cannot play” (Error)
            Situation Solution
            The play cannot start
            because one of the CPLs has
            an invalid signature.
            Request a CPL with a valid signature from the content provider.

but it ingested everywhere else.​
            The ICMP used to do this when the signer certificate of the CPL/KDM had a really long validity period. The bug was fixed a year ago in software version 1.4.4.6.

Comment

True. We fixed this issue in DCP-o-matic software in order to prevent this from happening with DCPs created with DCP-o-matic. About a year later, Barco solved this in their ICMP software:

build: 28205
              Changes:
              • Support of signer certificate validity above 2049 for CPL and KDM

Comment

Working...
              X