Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving RealD 3D to new Projector (Barco -> Christie) problem

Long Time Lurker, first time poster.

I volunteer at a single screen non profit theatre and have recently (last week) upgraded our projector (Barco DP2k-10S) to a Christie CP4415-RGB and everything has been working great so far. I recently acquired a used RealD 3D zscreen and control module and was able to get 3D working with the included 37 pin (GPIO?) to 9 pin RealD connector. All I did was hook up the cable between the Projector and the RealD control module and enable the 3D lens file in the barco software. RealD status led turned green and showed a sync signal and wearing glasses I could see the effect,

So knowing the system works, I set it aside as we now upgrade projectors. The first issue is that the Christie projector does not have the 37 pin connector but instead has a 15 pin 3D Port. There was not a compatible cable that came with the RealD. Luckly (maybe?), the installers had a 15 pin to 9 pin cable in there bag but unfortunately I am unable to get a sync signal to be sent to the control module. My only guess as to way is that the cable pinout is not what a 3D interface cable should be as seen by the female end on the 9 pin. I am using a gender changer to get male end for connection to RealD control module.

Does anyone have a 3D interface (15pin to 9pin) cable pinout? Is this even the right cable? Or is there something simple that I am missing or not understanding?

Thank you,
    Austin
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Your Christie manual contains the exact pinout of that connector on the projector side. Unfortunately, RealD is a bit sketchy with the pinout of ther Z-Screen box. But I think you should contact your integrator and ask them to supply you the correct cable. I guess the cable they gave you is for something else, like a DB15<->DB9 RS232 serial cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
      Your Christie manual contains the exact pinout of that connector on the projector side. Unfortunately, RealD is a bit sketchy with the pinout of ther Z-Screen box. But I think you should contact your integrator and ask them to supply you the correct cable. I guess the cable they gave you is for something else, like a DB15<->DB9 RS232 serial cable.
      Yeah I am glad to see Christie showing the pin out and if Reald did the same, I could just make a cable that would be compatible. I was hoping someone here had the right cable and could tell me what pins are used on the db15 and which pins they go to on the db9. I'm guess my cable is the opposite of what it needs to be (straight through vs cross over vs wrong pin out)

Comment

I'm curious about how someone acquired a used Real D system. I was under the impression that Real D only provides leased systems.

Do they or did they do outright sales of the equipment as well?

Comment

That's still the way RealD licenses its stuff.

But with the amounts of screens closing the last few years, a lot of RealD stuff found itself onto auctions and into the second hand market. I guess RealD simply gave up on recovering it all and a lot of it got out of their control during bankruptcy proceedings. I would not spend a penny on it, since you never know the ownership situation is with those things and unless you officially license it from RealD, you also can't expect any support from them. If you get it free though, I guess about the worst thing that could happen is that RealD going to claim it back from you or they may try to force to sign a leasing contract with them.

As for glasses: There is lots of newly-old-stock you can buy and there are ample non-RealD alternatives.

Comment

I would presume that Real-D has, for tax reasons, written down the value of that equipment to the point that they'd have a hard time claiming any real value. Plus, it being a Z-screen, it is going to be older and likely far less demand for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
              I'm curious about how someone acquired a used Real D system. I was under the impression that Real D only provides leased systems.

Do they or did they do outright sales of the equipment as well?
              All the Real-D units I installed were light doubler's.. They were on a per ticket sold, lease arrangement. They all saw quite a bit of use but have not been in years. Marcel is correct that many ended up in auctions and equipment update piles of stuff removed. I also installed Master image spinning filter (dust sucker) units as well as their light doubler. The spinning wheel provided the best quality polarized 3-D I have seen. Of course Master Image succumbed to the lawsuit brought on by Real-D, and is no longer around, nor is the web site active..

Comment

Working...
              X