Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching laptops with my ims2000 server

Hello,

I am new to the group and a new movie theater owner. I own a small 2 screen theater and was working on updating some of the software. I have an NEC1200C and NEC2000C projector. We have one projector running with a DSS200 server and the other with an IMS2000 server. The IMS2000 server has a laptop hooked up to it and its from 2014 and severely dated. It runs slow and many errors come up all the time before I can get to the dolby software. I just wanted to get a new computer hooked up to it. Is it basic plug and play? Hook the network cable up to the new computer? Sorry im not much of a tech guy. Thank you!

You can get all the network settings you need out of your present computer's "network settings" in the Windows Control Panel. Use those to set up your new laptop. Should you not be able to access that stuff for what ever reason, you can use Advanced IP Scanner... a free app you can download, it will list every IP on your network, and the manufacturer so you can tell them apart.

If there are stored password(s) for the IMS you might not be able to see them. They might appear as a series of dots in the log in screen. So, be certain of the password(s) being used while setting up the new laptop. Ditto for the projectors. You might also need DCC App for the projectors. It's just a lot easier to use when changing lamps than going in through the projector side panel when changing lamps and resetting the hours...

Hopefully this helps.

Comment

Mike, the IMS2000 uses a web UI...you just need a web browser to use it and it isn't computer specific (and it is not platform specific). Now, the NEC apps are Windows only apps. I've used them with Win7 and Win10 but have not tried Win11 yet but I would presume NEC would have ensured that current versions work with Win11.

As Mark indicated, you will need to configure your computer to ensure that it is on the same, or accessible subnet as the server/projector.

Comment

You should simply look up the network settings from your old computer and set the new one to the same. That's 'just typing a few numbers in the right place' ;-)

Luckily, that's generic WIN10 or WIN11 stuff, you can google it easily.

Comment

Hey thanks to both of you for the input. I will give it a shot. My other DSS200 server projector just has a monitor/keyboard setup no laptop, so it seems to run fine. Minus the fact that the time on the projector is 5 mins faster than the actual time. Cant seem to figure out how to change the time yet. Its greyed out. Im sure ill get it.

Comment

The NEC apps work fine under Windows 11 Pro. So do all the other theater apps I've used that run on Windows, including the GDC Theater Management App.
            Windows 12 is going to be released this coming October (Supposedly). I can't speak for what works or doesn't with that OS. Win 11 is bloated with a lot of garbage that you have to sort through and turn off, disable or delete, but you can still buy W10 Pro. It's supported until 2025.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
              Now, the NEC apps are Windows only apps. I've used them with Win7 and Win10 but have not tried Win11 yet but I would presume NEC would have ensured that current versions work with Win11.
              I've installed and used the Series 1, Series 2 old style, and Series 2 new style Communicators on several W11 PCs, without any problem or issue. Series 1 and Series 2 old style also work under Ubuntu/WINE, but Series 2 new style does not for me.

Originally posted by Mike Reed
              My other DSS200 server projector just has a monitor/keyboard setup no laptop, so it seems to run fine. Minus the fact that the time on the projector is 5 mins faster than the actual time. Cant seem to figure out how to change the time yet. Its greyed out. Im sure ill get it.
              Do you mean the projector's time, or the DSS200's? If the projector, you can change it using the Communicator app, but you'll need to be in installation or service mode to do so. That requires a password, which, per forum rules, I cannot post. Contact SharpNEC technical support if you need it. If the DSS200, it needs a NTP server configured to synchronize to. I would suggest a NIST one if it has a gateway to the Internet, or a PC configured to act as a NTP server if it does not.

Comment

NEC software also runs well in wine on linux machines

Comment

Yes Leo I mean the projectors time. Its 5 mins faster than what it should be. I guess I need to figure out to get into installation mode. I assume you cant give passwords in case someone messes up their projector? I do not know what you mean by an NTP server or a NIST one? No idea what that means. Does that depend on the laptop I use? Once again not a tech person at all.

Comment

I think the most sensible option would be to invest in a service call from a Dolby- and NEC-trained tech to look over your entire system, do whatever planned maintenance is due, troubleshoot any bugs, and give you some training in operation, and the basic maintenance that manufacturers intend the end user to do (e.g. replacing air filters). As a new theater owner with limited self help capability in the booth as of now, it would be sensible to establish a relationship with a service vendor anyways, so that if something more serious goes wrong, you have someone to call on who can hopefully work with you to minimize downtime.

Maybe others here might have some suggestions for techs based within range of Clearfield, PA?

Comment

Hey Leo thanks for the fast reply, I had a tech come already come from Entertainment Equipment. He updated the projector software, changed internal batteries, and fixed the Y2k bug with the IMS2000. I was trying to be a little more hands on because the cost of this guy was like $100+ an hour. I have two screens in my theater, so paying this guy $1000 or $1500 bucks every time he comes, is not always a great option. The filters is easy. But bulb changes and computer swaps I thought I could do without paying all that money. I mean I self taught myself how to run the projectors already. Im more of a businessman but catch on quickly.

Comment

I completely agree with what Leo says. You also need to learn how to change lamps, align the new one, and reset the hours. For some people, resetting the hours through the projector readout is the hard part. Easy through DCC though.

Comment

The rules here prohibit password sharing in the open forum, but if someone will private message you that's ok. The server default passwords can be changed but it's not common to do so and if you change then lose a changed root password for the server it will need a new OS drive as Linux is pretty secure that way. I think the basic passwords for NEC projectors can be changed but if there is a root password it isn't commonly known. I recommend not changing from the default passwords.
                          Pretty much any laptop will work - I normally suggest a refurbished used Windows one if asked, they are cheaper than new ones. OS version isn't important unless for some reason (like getting KDM emails on it) it's connected to the internet and thus needs current security updates. Win10 and 11 will just lock up for updates now and then, pretty frustrating if you really need to use the PC right then. The laptop battery can be junk as it will be plugged in all the time. Chromebooks, nope... just a PITA and need an internet connection (at least for setup), and can't install DCC as far as I know.
                          Generally all webUIs will work with Chrome, but might look odd with other browsers. Dolby in particular wants Chrome, and might ask you to use it if you contact them for support for UI issues or unusual things going on with their servers or sound processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                            I completely agree with what Leo says. You also need to learn how to change lamps, align the new one, and reset the hours. For some people, resetting the hours through the projector readout is the hard part. Easy through DCC though.
                            I am certain that I have seen videos with the procedure. On some, you could see details that are not to be shared here...

Mike, search on xenon lamp manufacturing companies for educational videos, make absolutely sure that you are wearing protective gear, that you leave the lamp cool down, that you don't touch the envelope of the lamp with your hands and that you don't let anything loose. The alignment on NECs needs to do the round twice or thrice, but it's something that is achievable.

Comment

Or watch this YouTube video about changing lamps in NC-1200 & NC-2000. As Ioannis mentioned above the various lamp companies produce videos for most different projectors... This one is for your projector.

Comment

Working...
                              X