Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
    Yeah but what isn't on that UI?
    Point taken... Personally, I'd preferred if they had taken the DSS series software as base for their newer stuff, at least from a user perspective. I still consider the DSS series UI one of the best in the industry and the integration of a "mini-TMS" right into it was a quick win for smaller locations. I still don't understand why the Doremi implementation was favored above their own DSS series.

Comment

As I understand it, it is a numbers thing. Dolby's DSS servers, as a world-wide statement was a distant 3rd to Doremi and GDC...there were regions where DSS was dominate but not overall. I don't think most people actually prefer Doremi's UI. I believe that it was due to cost and how nimble Doremi was, early on, at making their servers able to play most anything. Dolby liked to quote that they were following DCI rules and it would take 100 committees to make a change. Witness that a DSS server chokes if there isn't a separate font file for each reel...Doremi works with what it has...plus Doremi, early on, just started handling captions internally and took the projector's Cine-Canvas out of the loop. Pointing one's finger at "the other guy" rarely wins favors. People just want the stuff to work and if your product puts up roadblocks while others seem to play the same content, then it is you that is perceived to be the problem.

Nowadays, the Dolby/Doremi IMS line seems to be the least nimble of them and clings to its existing UI. Probably for fear of breaking it. Doremi's UI always felt like a collection of disparate modules instead of Show Manager's cohesive experience. The whole Control Panel is a collection of things that they just don't know where to place so they collect them all in the Control Panel basket. At least in the current incarnation, most of the "user" things are collected towards the top of the UI.

They still have never explained the justification for...You are at the Cinelister playback screen...the SPL that appears is "Movie-A". When you press the play button...you have no idea what movie will start. It could be Movie-A or it could be something completely different. For some bizarre reason, they force you to go to the EDIT portion of Cinelister to choose what to play (not just create and edit). With 3.5.x, you can start an SPL that is the current one opened in Editor...so you can skip 1-step. But they'll never be able to successfully justify why from Playback, you never know what movie will play when you press play. You think, maybe a "Next Show" box that could be a drop-down so you could select any show would make sense?

Another thing that Cinelister could take from Show Manager is to load the next show on a schedule when in Schedule mode and check licenses so, when play is pressed/commanded, it would just start. Show Manager got that one right (they had to...they originally had the slowest license checker so they needed to get it out of the way as soon as possible). So far, the biggest thing that they've borrowed from Show Manager was Calendar view in Scheduler. They wisely made it optional so those that prefer the traditional Doremi list view can still have it that way.

Comment

Friends, good day.
        Just to update you, I carried out tests with the QuickIngest function and it is similar to the liveplay that GDC has.

I thank everyone for their contributions. Greetings.

Comment

Working...
        X