Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDI Alternative Inputs (Christie CP2220)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDI Alternative Inputs (Christie CP2220)?

Forgive the dumb questions...

We typically roll with the DVI inputs set up for ALT content. But one of our spaces has had some occassional signal integrity issues (that are hard to pin down) via DVI. (exhibited as "white snow" or ocassionally no-sync).

1) Is it possible to send a broadcast HD-SDI signal to either SDIA or SDIB on the PIB card? (or is it restricted to cinema gear somehow). We attempted 1080p29.97 and 1080i59.94 without luck.

2) This projector also has a GDC SX3000 IMB, which itself has alternative inputs (IMB-External via the christie I assume). But for the life of us we could not get them to do anything. A Mac laptop did not even detect a display on the HDMI IMB alt input. No luck on the SDI IMB inputs either. Is there an obvious step we are missing? We would love to have that in our back pocket.

If we could get HDSDI directly into projector it would free up one decimator and simplify our ALT content routing.

Thanks in advance!

I "perhaps" just answered my own question. We were trying "IMB-External"... but in retrospect after having seen some more of the GDC SX3000 docs, I realized there were internal and external IMB options of that device. So perhaps we just leave christie on "IMB-Internal" and it auto-detects alternative content when present on the integrated IMB?

Will try that today, but any other tips appreciated.

Comment

When using the GDC inputs...select the GDC server as normal on the Christie...no changes.

On the GDC server, you select those inputs by creating a show but under the live section, you can select HDMI or SDI and put that into your playlist. When you run that show, it will turn on the SDI or HDMI input. When you are done, stop the show.

Comment

Thanks. Will try that. Back to the prior… are the PiB SDI inputs not usable for alt? Or are they just expecting cinema frame rates perhaps?

Comment

The SDI inputs are entirely usable. However, you'll need to create a channels that is using them, sets the correct color space (SDI is not an XYZ colorspace), is looking for the correct input...SDI A or SDI B...likely not both as DCinema does that to achieve a 4:4:4 color space using 1.5G bandwidth of the original Series 1 machiens (4:2:2 on one cable, 0:2:2 on the other). Most likely, you'll want a single SDI with 4:2:2. The Auto input detect doesn't always work for all signals so you may find setting progressive/interlace may be needed.

It is also work looking in the manual for the projector for the supported SDI rate to ensure your source is meeting that.

Comment

Thanks. We got HDMI via the iMB working. Still working on the SDI methods.

Comment

We didn't have any luck yesterday with SDI via either IMB or PIB.

Here's a screenshot of the christie config attempting the PIB method... and we tried all combinations of progressive framerates via a decimator MD-HX.
              Target color and color space might be wrong, but was hoping to at least see a signal before we had to tweak that.

I guess our next step is to throw a monitor at the projector end just to re-verify we have valid SDI signal, and maybe try next door on the other CP2220 (though it's SDI inputs are utilized by the Doremi).
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Are you feeding it a 3G signal? Those are 1.5G ports. They are good up to SMPTE 292 or dual-link (I forget the SMPTE number for that one).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                  Are you feeding it a 3G signal? Those are 1.5G ports. They are good up to SMPTE 292 or dual-link (I forget the SMPTE number for that one).
                  The 1080p60 on the LCD is the input HDMI, the scaler is converting it to 1080p24 on the SDI out (well within 1.5G data rates), and like I said, we tried all the other relevant scaler settings too. 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p29.97, 1080i59.94 etc.

Comment

What is the source on the HDMI input of the converter?

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                      What is the source on the HDMI input of the converter?
                      Testing with a mac laptop extended mode 1080p60 into the decimator. (OBS is what we usually drive Alt mixed media with).

Comment

A little follow up. Not long after our DVI B also started acting up. Christie is sending us a new PIB under warranty. So i'm guessing that may have been our struggles all along with the single link SDI inputs. Will find out after we drop in the new PIB.

Comment

Working...
                        X