Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ims3000

Hi everyone!

I have specific question regarding audio routing.

If I have for example Barco projector with IMS3000, is it possible to use IMS3000 for EQ & calibration of external sound input? Is it even possible to have multichannel sound input to IMS3000 via AES (5.1 and 7.1)? I am asking because I would like to be able to listen to DCP in 5.1 and 7.1, and have the option to select alternative input from a ProTools computer that has AES output.

I guess it is possible with CP950 (by disconnecting AES cables from DCI server and connecting output from ProTools)... but is it possible with IMS3000?

Sorry if it is a basic question. Trying to see what is minimal configuration for my use case.

The IMS3000 only has a single AES AUX input. This input does support the integrated EQ in the EMS, if configured to do so. The input can operate in either AES/EBU or S/PDIF mode. In S/PDIF it can support compressed 5.1/7.1 Dolby Digital formats, but it will only support two uncompressed PCM channels in AES3/EBU mode. As such, it's not really suitable as an input device from your ProTools output, unless you can live with 2-channel digital Stereo.

In our screening room, we can switch between IMS3000 and alternate inputs like ProTools or some other mixing stage with the touch of a button, thanks to some Q-Sys magic. The IMS3000 is purely a playback device for us, all EQ is done on Q-Sys.

Comment

Definitely, QSYS is the flexible option for something involving AES67. You could send your audio in via HDMI or SDI and pickup the IMS3000's EQ functions. But, you'll need to get your source in an HDMI or SDI form to do so. The CP950 is similarly hampered but without the SDI option. You cannot feed AES67 into it. The only multi-channel (discrete) input is the HDMI input.

The IMS3000's HDMI/SDI inputs do allow for "upmixing." There are probably more options for audio to SDI than for HDMI (and cheaper) but most are AES3 to SDI (e.g. AJA or Black Magic Design), not AES67.

Comment

Thank you both for clarification! It helps a lot

OK, so if I have AES3 output from ProTools (possible with HDX and 192 digital interface), I could convert it to SDI, and use it as audio input?

Is it possible for example to have picture from HDMI input of the projector, and sound (with EQ) from SDI using IMS3000?

I realize more and more that QSC is better solution… Just trying to find balance of price and flexibility.

Comment

Well, riddle me this. If you are already outputting HDMI from pro-tools, why not encode the audio in with the picture...send both over to the IMS3000's HDMI input and let the IMS3000 handle both picture and sound so, in effect, one selects the IMS3000 like for running a DCP.

Comment

ProTools was very picky with soundcard used. But most serious ProTools workstations have HDX cards. I am not sure it would be viable option to use Blackmagic Design Deckling as soundcard. Decklink it not that great for soundcard even in Premiere Pro and NLE editors. And ProTools is much pickier. But it is maybe good idea. It should be possible to route audio to Decklink. Worth a try, thanks!

Comment

Probably you're already aware, but if you want to use IMS3000 Eq you'll need at least a 5.1/7.1 license to enable the internal sound processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomislav Stojanovic View Post
                ProTools was very picky with soundcard used. But most serious ProTools workstations have HDX cards. I am not sure it would be viable option to use Blackmagic Design Deckling as soundcard. Decklink it not that great for soundcard even in Premiere Pro and NLE editors. And ProTools is much pickier. But it is maybe good idea. It should be possible to route audio to Decklink. Worth a try, thanks!
                It's 2024. Any DAW daring to call itself a workstation should be able to spit out 8 parallel PCM channels. Avid supports most of the Blackmagic card lineup, so it will support a Decklink HDMI card. HDX is fine if you want to push like 30+ channels with minimum latency.

Comment

Unfortunately, channel count and latency is not the problem. But the fact that HDX is DSP for plugins. I will have to test, but seems like selecting HDX engine disables using other soundcards. AES seems the way to go…

Comment

We are using for non sync playback via ims3000 ( Audio processor licenced model ) analogu to AES

Features
                    • Simultaneous A/D and D/A, or AES Synchronizer
                    • Full-time AES11 low jitter reference output
                    • Up to 4 channels of balanced analog to AES/EBU audio
                    • Up to 4 channels of AES/EBU to balanced analog audio
                    • Supplied XLR breakout cable
                    • AES11/Wordclock/Tri-level Sync/Color Black Reference Loop
                    • Adjustable audio levels
                    • Sample Rate Conversion between 96 kHz and 48 kHz
                    • Dipswitch configuration
                    • 5-18VDC Power (included with purchase)
                    • ada4_3600px.png
                    https://www.aja.com/products/ada4

Comment

Working...
                    X