Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refurbished Light Engine for a Barco DP2K-10S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbished Light Engine for a Barco DP2K-10S?

ANyone have any leads on where I might find one of these?

Look on Linked In. There is a guy in China that probably will have one. He appears to be legit, and can also likely repair yours. I will neither reccomend or not reccomend him. He'd likely give refrences though. I will pm you his name.

Comment

Hi Mark.
      Do this guy make LASER retrofit engines maybe?
      Let me know his name too. Thanks!

Comment

No, he doesn't make them. He is a distributer for the only company that does make retrofits other than what manufacturers might offer themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
          No, he doesn't make them. He is a distributer for the only company that does make retrofits other than what manufacturers might offer themselves.
          I'm not sure what your budget is, but parties like Cinemechanica offer laser-retrofit solutions that come with actual warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

I'm not sure what your budget is, but parties like Cinemechanica offer laser-retrofit solutions that come with actual warranty.
            Would be willing to bet that Cinemeccanica is just distributing the same Chinese slide in replacements... Not everyone is rushing to build and sell these, because they are expensive. Plus, laser is not all it's made out to be.

Comment

Would be willing to bet that Cinemeccanica is just distributing the same Chinese slide in replacements... Not everyone is rushing to build and sell these, because they are expensive. Plus, laser is not all it's made out to be.
              I'm not sure how custom their solutions are, eventually most of their components will be some off-the-shelf components, which may not even be a bad choice. But they have done some impressive laser-retrofits over the years. While no laser solution is really cheap, the advantage of choosing a more local integrator, especially one with some track record, is the warranty and service they provide. Since Juan Jose seems to be in Spain, I was thinking, that a Europe-based integrator of such solutions may be preferable to some Chinese outfit. Their retrofits may not be cheap, but from what I've seen, it usually beats buying a new projector, otherwise a retrofit would make little sense in most situations.

Comment

The Chinese guy only sells them... he does not travel around installing them. But you can go there for training if you want to learn how...

Comment

Getting back to the original question: How old is this DP2K-10S? In case of a light engine failure, no extended warranty and a supposed limited budget, I'd probably rather look for a refurbished DP2K-10S and would use the old projector for spare-parts. A light-engine replacement will probably be in the same ballpark and finding a refurbished light-engine sitting somewhere for exactly that model will be pretty hard. Also, how much warranty will you get on that refurbished light engine? Who's going to install it?

The Chinese guy only sells them... he does not travel around installing them. But you can go there for training if you want to learn how...
                  So, he's a distributor for ALPD/Appotronics?
                  I'm not sure if they're the "only" supplier of retrofit laser technology, I'm not even sure if Cinnemechanica sources from them either, but they do have a large install base. They're also the company behind the Espedeo Supra-5000.

Comment

[QUOTE=Marcel Birgelen;n38289]Getting back to the original question: How old is this DP2K-10S? In case of a light engine failure, no extended warranty and a supposed limited budget, I'd probably rather look for a refurbished DP2K-10S and would use the old projector for spare-parts. A light-engine replacement will probably be in the same ballpark and finding a refurbished light-engine sitting somewhere for exactly that model will be pretty hard. Also, how much warranty will you get on that refurbished light engine? Who's going to install it?

Marcel,

Some countries make it probitively expensive to bring in used gear, so repairs are sometimes the cheapest route. New gear may have lower duties and taxes, but then costs a lot more to buy. So it can be kind of a quagmire. Sending your own property to another country for repair and getting it back may result in little or no import taxes to get it back. Light engines are not difficult to remove and reinstall. I've replaced close to a dozen engines since DC came out. You just go through the whole setup routine again. Many of the very first NEC 3240's had DMD's that lost pixels over the first few months of use, replaced 5 of those engines. I had a theater that did some concrete demolition with a Jack hammer, and that killed all three DMD's. Honestly, having worked for some years as an optical and camera tech at Canon before working in this Biz, I wouldn't hesitate to repair - clean light engines myself. TV camera lenses are way more complex than a simple bundle of prisms. But DMD's are not available here.

"So, he's a distributor for ALPD/Appotronics?
                    I'm not sure if they're the "only" supplier of retrofit laser technology, I'm not even sure if Cinnemechanica sources from them either, but they do have a large install base. They're also the company behind the Espedeo Supra-5000."

If he has an exclusive, it would likely only be in Asia. He is a distributer for Appotronics. But to be honest, even the cost of those drop in replacements that I was quoted is quite high... Installing them in even a 6 or 7 year old projector just doesn't make sense. He does have quite the warehouse and shop. Hundreds of just about all makes of used projectors, sound, parts, etc, in stock. Lots of Sony stuff too. Those must have been popular in some parts of Asia.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looking at used projectors instead is a good plan as well. Appreciate the feedback

Comment

I've sent contact info to those that asked. Not going to post it here as there are likely US Dealers that also sell the Appotronics stuff. If you are in a foreign country and want to know, then PM me...
                        Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-02-2024, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X