7.1 switching options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.1 switching options?

Is there such a thing as an audio splitter box that can take two separate analogue 7.1 feeds and can switch between them by using a command from a server playlist?

I work in an arts centre owned by a university so the cinema is also used as a lecture theatre in the morning during the week. The system in place at the moment to enable the lectern blu ray sound as well as the cinema sound to get to the amps is causing us problems so the box I mentioned would simplify the setup for us.

Thanks.

Gron.

What automation/integration system is in use in the lecture theater? I'm sure that there are ways of doing it within the Crestron, Extron, AMX, etc. ecosystems, which the higher education world tends to use here. This could be done easily using Q-Sys (a core plus either a DCIO-H or 3 x analog input QIO boxes, plus 2 x output boxes) but it would be a relatively pricey solution.

Comment

Odyssey Products makes a 2-input board that switches 6 discrete channels. They likely have, or would design, one to switch 8 channels between 2 inputs. It's just done via a simple relay which you could trigger from GPIO from the server on a playlist. Email Mark dargocinema@g*m*a*i*l.com (remove the ****)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
        What automation/integration system is in use in the lecture theater? I'm sure that there are ways of doing it within the Crestron, Extron, AMX, etc. ecosystems, which the higher education world tends to use here. This could be done easily using Q-Sys (a core plus either a DCIO-H or 3 x analog input QIO boxes, plus 2 x output boxes) but it would be a relatively pricey solution.
        There is Crestron stuff in the University rack, a CP3 and a DGE2 and there's a MC3 in the cinema rack for the lights. The audio from the systems at the moment go into seperate Soundweb London BLU-BIB, on to a Soundweb London London BLU-100 processor and then to a Soundweb London BLU-BOB before going to the amps. I'm not familiar with the uni side of things, they have their own tech's for it. The break in box has caused us problems in the past and we seem to be having similar issues now (split second intermittent drop outs in audio).

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Miller View Post
          Odyssey Products makes a 2-input board that switches 6 discrete channels. They likely have, or would design, one to switch 8 channels between 2 inputs. It's just done via a simple relay which you could trigger from GPIO from the server on a playlist. Email Mark dargocinema@g*m*a*i*l.com (remove the ****)
          Interesting, I'll have a look. Thank you.

Comment

The switching could possibly be done by recalling presets in the BluLink boxes using an API command via LAN from the DCP server. Might be worth discussing with the university's a/v tech?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
              The switching could possibly be done by recalling presets in the BluLink boxes using an API command via LAN from the DCP server. Might be worth discussing with the university's a/v tech?
              I'll bring it up with him. Thanks.

Comment

We (Omnex), make a box designed to allow two cinema processors to be switched between one set of amplifers. Designed for sites with DCP audio from a CP950 and 35/70mm audio from a 'legacy' film audio processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Naples View Post
                  We (Omnex), make a box designed to allow two cinema processors to be switched between one set of amplifers. Designed for sites with DCP audio from a CP950 and 35/70mm audio from a 'legacy' film audio processor.
                  Is there a datasheet online for that device. We have a setup that utilizes all: 650, CP500, AP20, and DTS XD10. Just curious if there are ways to improve our routing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher View Post

Is there a datasheet online for that device. We have a setup that utilizes all: 650, CP500, AP20, and DTS XD10. Just curious if there are ways to improve our routing etc.
                    There isn't Ryan, sorry.

There's a fairly bespoke device and each one is made to client's requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X