Barco Alchemy/ICMP and SSDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco Alchemy/ICMP and SSDs

Barco has just released an Info-T (1630) about this. I can't upload it here, because the file size exceeds the maximum allowable. The gist of it is:
    • All ICMP-Xs manufactured from March 2024 will ship with SSDs in them (both the 1TB and 2TB options)
    • Existing ICMP-X models can have their original HDDs replaced with SSDs, but don't mix and match. In other words, if one drive fails and you want to upgrade to SSDs, you need to replace all three.
    • The ICMP+ (the mk. II version) came with the first generation RAID controller, which is not compatible with SSDs. However, it can be upgraded to the second generation RAID controller, and SSDs installed in it thereafter. How much financial sense it would make to do this I'm not sure, but it is an option.
    • The original ICMP (mk. I, identified by having one HDMI and two DP inputs) has the first generation RAID controller and cannot be upgraded; therefore, it can only be used with spinning rust drives.

The document does not list approved drive models to source from third parties. For Alchemies out of warranty, there is nothing to lose by trying drives not bought from Barco, I'm guessing (apart from the risk that they might not work). I've installed WD Red SSDs in ICMP-Xs (including the 4TB model) and they've worked successfully and reliably. But for servers still in warranty, I would tend to err on the side of caution and only use Barco-supplied drives.

My apologies - I missed this thread when starting this one. Brad - feel free to merge if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
    X