Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrity Check Failures

Solaria One. GDC_SR1000. NetGear NAS
    I've taken to running verification integrity checks after ingesting film. Immediate Verify rather than Quick. I'm not really sure of what it means when verifications fail, or as they say, have an Exception.
    Loaded a film today that had to be downloaded via FileMail. It ingested fine with no errors, but the verification took about twice as long as the ingest, and when it finished presented an exception: "Picture file Integrity Checking Failed."
    This feature only had three files Picture, Sound, and CPL. I'm used to way more files being present. Nonetheless, the feature loaded and is now playing [no KDM needed]. It has about an hour and 15mins to go. This is just a test, no audience.
    My question is, does running Verify actually inform me of anything other than a catastrophic error? Are there things like the problem at the end of last year that show up as an exception, but don't effect my projector/server. Is it worth running Verify?

WoW! I've never seen a DCP with fewer than 6 files. I'd like to know how they did that!

Comment

That error relating to the picture file makes me think the checksum did not match. It may play, but play all the way through is TBD.

But if it didn't throw that exception upon initial ingest i'm confused, unless GDC does not do checksum comparisons unless you ask it to via manual verify?

Edit: if it was related to last year's Y2K24 bug the exception would be related to the CPL signature, "Signature Invalid" etc, not the picture file integrity.

Comment

Aside: Was the whole DCP delivered as one zip file?... if not, we find that many file-sharing tools mangle the download process, dropbox and google-drive are especially egregious. It's usually just some file-names you have to manually repair, but getting this as packaged archive of some kind is much more reliable.

I'd put my money on some bits having gone missing in the filemail download process (or the other end's upload process). Re-download Re-ingest is the only way to know.

Comment

You can also manually view the ASSETMAP xml and verify that you have all the files it lists. Doesn't help with checksum mismatches but if you were missing a reel of video you could tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
            WoW! I've never seen a DCP with fewer than 6 files. I'd like to know how they did that!
            Most DCPs have a file per reel, but some put all the image in one file and sound in another. If there are captions or subtitles, some equipment may have problems with large files. Some CPLs do break the composition into reels that all are in the same file using EntryPoint and Duration to identify the reels within the file.

Comment

Working...
            X